IGNORED

Loading .wav files through SIO

Vextrex

Hello, I was wondering if their was anyway I could load a .cas file that was converted into a .wav file and play it through a mp3 player to my Atari XE system. I'm fairly new to the retro computer scene and I would like to try playing a few games on it instead of using an emulator. Any help would be much appreciated.

But I do not own a atari cassette recorder, could I use a normal cassette recorder with a cassette to mp3 converter and wire up the audio out from the cassette player to the SIO port?

Sorry, but this won't work. The atari tape recorder is not a regular tape - quite unlike its competitors, the Atari tape included the decoding logic to turn the two-tone modulated signal back into a digital signal. This did not happen within the main system. Thus, either you need to decode it by hardware (by borrowing the logic from the tape drive) or by software by first converting the wav file into digital.

• 8 years later...

Bump: Has anyone had any success loading plain ole wave files without a MIDI device? I have a MIDI file to attach if anyone wants to try it and let me know. I have a 130 XE with a Fujinet so I was wondering if there was a way to do this. The MIDI file is C'mon Little Mama from the album All This for a Song by The Who. (Might need to be sped up  little). Russ

C'mon Little Mama.mid