IGNORED

Has anyone tried a demodulator like this with their Atari

wongojack

I'm pretty sure both of those are at least a little different than a VCR. The main concern is that they will not pick up VHF frequencies but tune to something else. The satellite tuner makes me think it won't pick up any VHF signals but may even be digital.

I was just wondering if anyone had tried them because they are both much smaller than a VCR and provide some different options for conversion.

Televisions don't take video input through the USB port, it won't work. I've got eleven 80 inch televisions and three 55 inch televisions sitting behind me, none of them do this.

So have you tried one of these USB capture devices? My guess is that you'd get a picture on your computer with it, but it might have a lot of lag for gaming.

So have you tried one of these USB capture devices? My guess is that you'd get a picture on your computer with it, but it might have a lot of lag for gaming.

No but I'm quite familiar with how the firmware is written on the television itself. The USB ports will play specific file types but won't stream a continuous video.

I'm researching how to write custom firmware for one of my 55 inch displays right now, it's just C code on an embedded Linux system and many of them have their own API you can interface with.

• Like 1

Didn't work. I don't know why. They should be able to get the signal just like they get old analouge signals from an antenna, but they don't. They read it as "weak".

That makes me wonder if a demodulator would work as it's pretty much the same thing. I'd hate to spend money on one and it not work. I think the only real long term answer is for us to crack our consoles open and mod them. I just lack the soldering ability to do it and don't know who to turn to.

I doubt the DTA is looking at the VHF frequencies. The specs of the device should tell you one what frequencies it is scanning and you can verify with Wikipedia if it covers VHF.

There are lots of options, but many are expensive. Here's one that I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F120408195704%3FssPageName%3DSTRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT%26_trksid%3Dp3984.m1423.l2649

electronicsentimentalities will mod your console for you.http://electronicsentimentalities.com/InstallationServices.html

What about a DVB-S demodulator like this:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2009286457201?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=200928645720&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Will that pick up RF ch 2/3/4?

Highly doubt it would work, DVB-S is a satellite transmission standard having nothing to do with ATSC or NTSC analog. I could be wrong though.

Here's one that I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on: http://rover.ebay.co...984.m1423.l2649

This is actually a good device. I've seen it in use and it does a really nice job.

I don't recall you ever explaining it. Why can my TV tuner read the signal but an external one won't, yet a VCR external tuner will.

The DTA tuners are made for ATSC NOT NTSC. ATSC is digital over the air using analog frequencies, NTSC was analog over analog, and is largely retired in the United States.

Edited by Greg2600

Those modulators are for your computer, not a TV. You plug it into your USB and you can receive over the air TV signals (I assume cable would work too, but won't swear as I've never tried)

I've had several such devices, and for old consoles like atari they work in a range of not at all (no pic, no sound, nothing) to decent pic/sound, but usually they are enough behind what your console is actually doing to render them useless. I mean, you could play a turn based game like checkers, but not actiony games like racers or whatever.

Most of them I've used work somewhere in between, like they are choking on the signal being recieved or something, flicking from color to b/w or constantly loosing sound.

It's really a device by device basis if it will work or not. If you got the $20-$60 (depending on device) to spare, all I can say, is try it. Just don't keep your hopes up that it will do what you want it to.

[edit] Oh yeah, you will have to tune the device in order to use it. Hook up whatever you want to use to it, turn it on, and let the software tune it.

Edited by Video

My guess would be to connect the VCS to the unit get a double ended Component cable, plug it in to the unit, then get a video capturing device, for example, a Dazzle by Pinnacle. From there you could use the dazzles capturing software on your PC to record an Atari digitally.

There are a lot of cheap Demodulators on Ebay right now. Specifically this model: Blonder Tongue ZDM-806. It must have just gone out of support or something.

I read the manual and it will take VHF input and convert to Baseband (composite). You just need a Coax to Composite adapter like you'd use from Atari to TV. I got one cheap and am going to test.

Will report back with results.

I got a Blonder Tongue ZDM-806 today and hooked it up. You need 2 coax to female RCA connectors (same used for the console to TV) but it works just fine with a 2600 (assume other systems too). The quality of the picture didn't blow me away, but it was a definite improvement from straight RF. It's got video and audio level adjust knobs on the front that give you essentially another lever to turn when figuring out what you want your TV settings to be. The video one seemed to act like a "contrast" adjuster. It certainly gave me more flexibility when adjusting picture settings which is nice.

Anyway, after playing around with the settings on my TV, I am pleased with this device. It seems that putting the Atari right next to it caused some jaggies in the picture, so I don't think its a good idea to stack them, but I could be imagining that. The TV settings that I landed on were: Contrast maxed, Bright lower than middle, Color slight higher than middle, Tint slight lower than middle, Sharp almost maxed.

Best part is that these are all over ebay right now and if you've been wanting to try a demodulator, you can get one of these for about $35 shipped.