IGNORED

Xbox One's Killer Instinct to be Free To Play

iswitt

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-15291-Microsoft-Explains-Decision-to-Make-Killer-Instinct-Free-to-Play.html

Everything I read from MS just keeps getting worse and worse. Sure, I suppose this gives people the opportunity to play the game as a big demo and then decide if they want to invest in more content, but I see the thing as a big cash grab. FTP never really means free. It usually means the consumer has to pay more than full retail games to access the whole game. Such a shame.

http://www.xbox360ac...ee-to-Play.html

Everything I read from MS just keeps getting worse and worse. Sure, I suppose this gives people the opportunity to play the game as a big demo and then decide if they want to invest in more content, but I see the thing as a big cash grab. FTP never really means free. It usually means the consumer has to pay more than full retail games to access the whole game. Such a shame.

Its just FTP for those who want to play only a few characters. There are plans to make a full version as well.

I am SO hype for this game. I thought it was going to suck, but once I seen some live action play by Justin Wong, I'm sold. The combo system and combo breaker system was also described in detail by the developer, and it looks great. Throws exist in this game too, and from what Maximilian has detected, there's a mix of 3rd strike, and a few other fighters in there. I'm stoked.

EDIT: Being able to do a full combo into ultra, then kick in instinct mode, then do another full combo and another ultra?

I got the biggest smile on my face right now.

Edited by keilbaca

Pending pricing scheme announcements, I suppose this is a good deal for the kind of person who only plays one or two characters in a fighting game.

Personally when I get a fighting game, I want tons of characters. Sure I will end up only focusing on a few favorites but how the heck am I supposed to know which ones I like the best if I can't try them all?

Buying each character individually is sure to cost more than the pack and I am sure that they are counting on players eventually getting everyone

At first the "free to play" thing was a red flag for me, but after watching a developer interview, I'm glad they are taking this route. Essentially, you get the game for free, with Jago unlocked. You can do EVERYTHING with him. Play online (no charge), beat the game and get an ending (no charge), etc. You do this to see if you like the game, then you can go out and grab the full disc, or just pick up another character you might want to try. The developer described it as them wanting to have as many people playing as possible, so the people who don't want to pay can still get in on the online action, albeit just with Jago.

At first the "free to play" thing was a red flag for me, but after watching a developer interview, I'm glad they are taking this route. Essentially, you get the game for free, with Jago unlocked. You can do EVERYTHING with him. Play online (no charge), beat the game and get an ending (no charge), etc. You do this to see if you like the game, then you can go out and grab the full disc, or just pick up another character you might want to try. The developer described it as them wanting to have as many people playing as possible, so the people who don't want to pay can still get in on the online action, albeit just with Jago.

Jago vs Jago

• Like 1

Don't even TRY to start infusing some unbiased logic into this.

? Not sure what that is supposed to mean.

It means there will be many many many many people playing Jago and even if you buy a new character and play online, you will play against Jago 8 out of 10 times.

a couple of weeks after launch and everyone will hate Jago.

• Like 2

It means there will be many many many many people playing Jago and even if you buy a new character and play online, you will play against Jago 8 out of 10 times.

a couple of weeks after launch and everyone will hate Jago.

HAHA I didn't think of that.

They'd be smart to allow filters when searching for matches or give other FULL version owners preference when playing online.

I guess time will tell how smart they are.`

This is actually perfect for someone like me. I'm not a huge fighter fan. I bought Injustice, and don't need more than one hand to count how many times I've played it. That game cost me $45. I would have been perfectly Ok with paying $0 and only being able to play with Superman.

• Like 1

If I were a betting man, I'd say that the decision to go Free-to-Play was more likely made by a some of Microsoft's marketing team than a developer.

The only issue I have with this is if it's download-only, which might be a given with its FTP status. If that's the case, free to play means never being able to pick it up from the bargain bin...

• 4 months later...

My understanding is they will email you the code I'm guessing Friday.

I don't think it's tied to any pre-order, I received an email directly from Xbox Live a couple weeks ago. Being a member for so long might have something to do with it? I'm not 100% sure about that. Might just be random, especially since no one else responded. This is all the email said...

You're a fan of us and we're a fan of you.

We want to show you our appreciation, so we're giving you:

KILLER INSTINCT

We've unlocked all characters so you can hit the ground running.

Watch your inbox on November 22 for instructions on how to claim your free gift.

Don't worry, we'll remind you.