IGNORED

Project X Zone - 3DS

There's a demo on the 3DS store. It allows you to play a single battle. The main part is a grid and turn based tactical RPG. When you go into combat, you press button and D-pad combos in order to attack. This part is "realtime" but isn't really an actiony thing. It's more like a timing thing. The combat is somewhat similar to the old Tales games like Tales of Phantasia and Tales of Destiny.

The game itself is a sequel or semi-sequel to Namco X Capcom (which is yet another of those cool games we dumb westerners missed out on a localization of).

• Like 1

This was the game that made me buy a 3DS.

I was kinda/sorta interested in Fire Emblem and Etrian Odyssey. But I already had 3 other installments of Etrian Odyssey, and 5 other installments of Fire Emblem. Even with all the positive buzz around Fire Emblem, and the new option that permadeath could be turned off, it wasn't quite enough.

But for me, Namco X Capcom was a game I felt I really missed out on. I really wanted that game in english. Whether it's justified or not, the lack of a localization of that game struck me with the same kind of disappointment as learning Bahamut Lagoon wasn't getting a translation back in the SNES era. So, the second I learned there was going to be a sequel and it was going to get a english release, I was already interested.

Then I saw some trailers, and I recognized the combat system immediately. It's a modified version of the one used in Super Robot Taisen: OG Saga Endless Frontier. I really enjoyed what I've played of that game. Plus, Project X Zone included the main characters from it as well. When I saw Kos-Mos, Sakura, Ichiro, and characters from Valkyria Chronicles III and Resonance of Fate, I knew I was going to have to buy a 3DS.

So here's hoping the game will be really good. No game breakers jumped out of the demo.

I think I want it:

This was the game that made me buy a 3DS.

I don't have a 3DS, and I don't have any plans to get one anytime soon. Yet, I have had this game preordered for months. Is that a rank beyond "system seller"? :P

Then I saw some trailers, and I recognized the combat system immediately. It's a modified version of the one used in Super Robot Taisen: OG Saga Endless Frontier. I really enjoyed what I've played of that game. Plus, Project X Zone included the main characters from it as well. When I saw Kos-Mos, Sakura, Ichiro, and characters from Valkyria Chronicles III and Resonance of Fate, I knew I was going to have to buy a 3DS.

SRT:OGS:EF is actually the DS game I've been playing for, um, the past few years (I think I'm finally near the halfway point!). I'm excited for more KOS-MOS, too, and the inclusion of Sakura and the Valkyria Chronicles characters is a major bonus as well.

Hurry up and release a silver 3DS XL in North America, Nintendo . . . and then give me one for free. And buy me a house while you're at it.

onmode-ky

Picked up my copy today. Its gonna fight Animal Crossing for playtime....lol

Same boat here. I've only put in a little over an hour of Project X Zone playtime so far.

It does commit a cardinal sin of these types of games, though. On the second mission where it says "Rescue" Jin, I didn't pay any attention to the tutorial BS and just zipped on past it. I didn't realize that "Rescue" was being used as a game term instead of the general, generic meaning of rescue. So, I just had Ryu and Ken move over to an enemy near Jin and attack it, thinking I just needed to clear the mooks. Then the turn ended and I was greeted with "Game Over." It was as I restarted the battle that I realized there is no way to skip the cutscenes other than banging the A button over and over and waiting for the fixed-time animations to play out. It certainly taught me not to ignore the tutorials.

Also, the game's use of EXP and XP to mean two different things (Experience and Cross Points) messes with my head.

Same boat here. I've only put in a little over an hour of Project X Zone playtime so far.

It does commit a cardinal sin of these types of games, though. On the second mission where it says "Rescue" Jin, I didn't pay any attention to the tutorial BS and just zipped on past it. I didn't realize that "Rescue" was being used as a game term instead of the general, generic meaning of rescue. So, I just had Ryu and Ken move over to an enemy near Jin and attack it, thinking I just needed to clear the mooks. Then the turn ended and I was greeted with "Game Over." It was as I restarted the battle that I realized there is no way to skip the cutscenes other than banging the A button over and over and waiting for the fixed-time animations to play out. It certainly taught me not to ignore the tutorials.

Also, the game's use of EXP and XP to mean two different things (Experience and Cross Points) messes with my head.

Good to hear....I'll keep that in mind. I just got mine last night but haven't played it yet. Animal Crossing is taking up a lot of time (actually everyone else in the family, they keep hogging it)

Glad I read your post before I hit the Jin stage....lol. Thanx!!!

By the way, I thought it was hilarious seeing Chun-li meeting Virtua Fighter's Pai. They're kinda the same character, aren't they? It's like looking in a mirror.

Okay I "think" I have figured out the combat in this game and I'd like to share my findings for those who are as confused as I was at first. Also, there's one part I'm not 100% on so anyone who's more of an expert please let me know.

Some people have wondered what you're supposed to do once combat begins, just mush the d-pad randomly and hit A as many times as you can? No. I mean, that will get results but that's not how the combat really works. The combat sequences are not real-time, they are turn-based and you have three "turns" as denoted by the small dark d-pad icons in the bottom right. (You will get more than three as you go up in levels)

If you don't do anything, the characters just stand there waiting.

So hitting A launches an attack and you can use the d-pad to select a different kind of an attack or hit L or R to call upon a support unit. But you only have to do this once initially. Sit back and watch the crazy fighting commence, there is no need to use any of the buttons until your opponent is knocked away. They will bounce against a far wall or fly way up in the sky, this is the indicator that the first of your three turns is done.

Here's the part I'm not 100% certain of. I "think" you want to keep your opponent up in the air, so as the animation is coming to an end and they are almost finished bouncing back to your characters you want to choose your second attack. With luck, you'll time this second selection just as the enemy is about to land. I think that's right? I've missed this window of opportunity and had my support units miss the enemy. But when I time it right it seems to give me a big bonus of XP points (not EXP points, another cause of confusion).

Again sit back and relax and let the animations of the combat play out. And as the third attack is taking place, once again try to time it just as the enemy is landing back amoung your characters. Choose your third attack.

If you have gained tons of XP points during this combat sequence then you might have enough to do the super attack thing caused by hitting Y. If possible use the Y attack, if you have enough XP for it. It does tons of damage and besides you get to see wicked extra animations of your characters.

So the game is really more like a chess game than a Street Fighter game. You need to keep an eye on your stats, your health, your EXP (experience toward going up a level) and your XP (cross points which are handy per round of attacks).

Anyone else "cracked the code" of combat better than I have just detailed? Am I completely off base here?

You want to do all three of the regular attacks shown at the bottom right. You'll want to do a A, Left D-Pad + A, and a Right D-Pad + A. Doing this will give you a bonus attack/turn where you can use any one of them again.

I tend to summon my support and partner units simultaneously with my first attack (which is almost always a basic A). If they're hitting the opponent while I'm hitting the opponent, it puts an X on the target and locks them in place. This also builds up the XP meter more quickly and allows it to go above 100 to 150.

A couple of characters have Support + 1 special abilities. It's very useful to get your XP meter above 100 (usually 120 or above), have these units cast Support +1, and then summon Support twice, a Partner once, do a full 4 part basic combo, and then finish it up with a Y special.

If you pull up the database or encyclopedia or whatever the game calls it, then some of this stuff is explained as well as basic tips provided.

A couple of other basic bits of advice:

Your XP bar is for your whole party, not just for the unit you're on. Maybe no one else gets confused by this, but I'm always forgetting that it's a party resource, not an individual unit one.

Check out your character skills. I often forget them, but some abilities are extremely useful.

Try to keep your XP bar minimally charged between 30 and 60 for when you need some support abilities.

The game encourages you to bunch up your units for support attacks, because adjacent units can support each other. There's a temptation to put everyone into a block. So far in the early game the mooks are extremely vulnerable to this kind of formation. BUT... The bosses always have high damage AoE attacks which strike a wide radius around them. Keep your units spaced out in a zigzag instead of a block, or keep them in widely separated unit pairs. Also, when attacking a boss, it's helpful to attack them at the longest range possible, because it increases the range their AoE needs to be in order to zap your guys.

Unless an enemy is already damaged, a Counter response is seldom worth it.

Watch out for enemy unit zones of control. Don't get a unit locked into a disadvantageous position by being in the middle of enemy lines. It happened to me with Soma, and it was like peeling an onion to get him free.

Gabriel, some units have skills that can nullify Zone of Control for between 20CrossPoints to 30CrossPoints. I found this HIGHLY useful in some nasty situations.

Also, I won't say where I am so far, but I'm seeing enemies (especially boss-grade ones) quickly inching closer to Disgaea-levels of absurdity for HP. So far, I've seen nearly a 63,000HP boss.