IGNORED

3d printer files for Atari?

jmccorm

I've purchased a Makergear M2 and I hope to be using it to produce some case customizations. Is anyone making 3D models to be printed? Are there any Atari home computer objects that already exist out there?

Also, are there any printable objects that people are really looking for? Cartridge cases?

I've seen 2600 cart cases out there. What would break new ground is modifying that to make a Xonox double-ender!

• Like 1

I've seen 2600 cart cases out there. What would break new ground is modifying that to make a Xonox double-ender!

I had to go look it up, but now that I did, I love the concept. A double-ended cartridge with different software based on which end was plugged into the machine. Quite a clever and efficient use of hardware! I'd be tempted enough to try it for a first project if someone had a PCB.

• Like 1

How about some IDE Plus 2 enclosures? There's a challenge for ya LOL

At this point, I'm a novice. That is a lot of the reason why I wanted a 3D printer; I think this technology is only going to grow from here. Much like home computers were in the 80s, getting an understanding of them now is going to make me much more capable as the hardware matures and its influence grows.

I was considering a case for the SIO2SD from the Atari Fan Store as my first project. The reason for this, of course, is that I already have one, and they ship without a case. I have a good example or two of similar projects that I've gone over. I think the only challenge with the SIO2SD is the SIO connector. It is a bit too high and exits at the wrong angle (straight up). I think I'll assume that people are also getting the pre-wired connector from the source. So I'll have to work around the height (which is just above the clearance of the LCD) and create an exit for the cable at the case's seam on the side. Will need to clamp the cable internally to prevent wires from being pulled if the cable is yanked.

I don't think I'd mind taking requests once I've gotten at least one project built well. But the order lead-time on the Makergear M2 is 5 weeks, so that is going to be a little further down the road for me.

I looked at a few images of the IDE Plus 2. The major concern I see is how far the PCB stands off from the case. In fact, it looks like the PCB itself is pretty much touching the case? Or is there a minimal clearance?

I'm looking for a good way to attach a plastic case to the PCB. All the existing screw holes on the PCB seemed to be claimed for mounting a drive, so it might be difficult to use them all (with the limited space on the backside of the PCB). The holes that rise up above the 800XL look usable. I could use the flat thin areas of the PCB (next to the side connectors look like good targets) to hold the internals steady. Undetermined if I'd need to include stand-offs for the table (to reduce stress on the connector on the Atari 800XL).

The shape of the case would have to account for a wide range of drive sizes. (Can't squeeze the drives, but at the same time, I can't let the empty space allow for the case to rattle around the PCB, either.) Need to include XL-series style air vents for the hard drive to breathe. And that brings up the issue of aesthetics. The back of the IDE Plus 2 case faces the front of the Atari 800XL. Need to keep that in mind. But it will be impossible to match plastics. Print colors should probably be neutral (as opposed to, say, lime green).

It certainly looks doable. Down the road, I'd be interested if anyone has a design layout and a sample PCB to work with.

• 1 month later...
I was considering a case for the SIO2SD from the Atari Fan Store as my first project.

I've got some tweaking to do, but I've been successful in creating a case for the SIO2SD:

post-18231-0-41393500-1376225117_thumb.jpgpost-18231-0-55676000-1376225125_thumb.pngpost-18231-0-13767100-1376225130_thumb.pngpost-18231-0-42826000-1376225134_thumb.png

(Images are not to scale.)

I got my printer a few days ago. I printed this in my first plastic, which is PLA. There are lots of challenges when starting off with PLA. I had to fight the usual warping of the bottom of a print, as well as some thermal issues which caused some layers to print slightly below temperature.

The case is held together... extremely well... by friction. I had some design challenges to work with: the female SIO connection sticks up quite far vertically from the PCB, the SIO cable needs to be held snug. A number of details had to be accounted for: a row of raised solder connections on the far side of the LCD, the triangular piece on the side of the LCD, precise alignment with the buttons on the PCB. It was a great first project for a CAD and 3D printing novice. A digital caliper was a must-have item.

Still to do:

* I'm having trouble printing the narrow and tall buttons at the 3.5mm size. I may have to enlarge the buttons.

* Slight tweaking to close up some tiny gaps on the side and bottom of the LCD exterior

* Create an opening in the back for an SD card

Edited by jmccorm
  • Like 6

Here are the links to what will probably be my final public version of the case for the SIO2SD:

https://tinkercad.com/things/fmVsfOTMT20-sio2sd-v10-top - Case Top

https://tinkercad.com/things/6PpuaMembca-sio2sd-v10-buttons - Case Buttons

https://tinkercad.com/things/giLVaThF7DI-sio2sd-v10-bottom - Main Case

Recommended plastic: PLA for strength. (Be careful about the usual warping at the bottom layers.)

The tolerances are very tight and the case is held together (amazingly well) just by friction. It may take a little finesse when placing the SIO2PC PCB inside of the main case. Of course, if your PCB is a little bit different, you may need to make adjustments.

I had a great deal of trouble getting the buttons to print properly on my printer (I'm still new at 3D printing) so I made the buttons off-center so that they could be printed horizontally and without supports. There is a little too much wiggle-room which may allow them to get slightly out of alignment. This is my only real disappointment. There is an opportunity here for someone to enhance the buttons (or add more of a guide into the case top in order to prevent wiggling).

When printing the main case, you'll want to enable your printer's features for creating supports. (It is likely too long for most printers to bridge the SD slot.) When I printed it, the break-away support worked extremely well. For the case top, you shouldn't need supports (and if you do, it may make the top of the case a bit uglier).

The slope around the exterior of the LCD is a little awkward looking (although fully functional) and could use a bit more optimization.

Be careful when closing the case that you don't pinch the SIO cable when it comes out of the female adapter. It is a very tight turn. This is an unfortunate side-effect of how the PCB was designed.

• Like 3

I had to go look it up, but now that I did, I love the concept. A double-ended cartridge with different software based on which end was plugged into the machine. Quite a clever and efficient use of hardware! I'd be tempted enough to try it for a first project if someone had a PCB.

As small as PCBs are, wouldnt it be just as easy to accomidate two PCBs, one at each end?

I'm willing to try making an A8 cartridge. Once made, it wouldn't be difficult to make it double ended or have a handle. (I'd have to think about quadruple ended -- that would require some thought.)

Is there a standard cartridge PCB layout that I would want to design around?

Edited by jmccorm

• 3 months later...

I've purchased a Makergear M2 and I hope to be using it to produce some case customizations. Is anyone making 3D models to be printed? Are there any Atari home computer objects that already exist out there?

Also, are there any printable objects that people are really looking for? Cartridge cases?

Nice but what will a 3d printed cartridge cost ? I mean material and such...