IGNORED

3d printer files for Atari?

jmccorm

Let me know if you want pictures, I can put up photos with some dimenstions or something if you need em.

What I'd really like is a small plastic case that hold 2 standard PC 3.5" floppy drives, stacked or side by side, and has room in the back for a small power supply and a spot to put a panel mount IDC-Dsub connector, and the standard 3 pin AC connector. can't find a decent case for floppy drives anywhere, let alone plastic ones.

:)

• 2 years later...

I've purchased a Makergear M2 and I hope to be using it to produce some case customizations. Is anyone making 3D models to be printed? Are there any Atari home computer objects that already exist out there?

Also, are there any printable objects that people are really looking for? Cartridge cases?

Oooooh printing off Atari parts would be awesome!

I got an Ultimaker 2 and printed off an Atari Logo.

https://pinshape.com/items/5972-3d-printed-atari-logo

I felt like I discovered fire or something - ha!

Love to see this thread get updated with what happened with your quest to find Atari parts.

• Like 2

Great to see this thread bumped! I have several designs working, but my printer is kind of in limbo. Soon, I am hoping to get going again and make custom Atari things. I love this stuff way too much for bad circumstances to stop me for very long.

Awesome. Can't wait to see what you've printed. I'm new to this but totally digging it. I'm just printing off small things at the moment but some of the designs out there are insane. Love to experiment with different filaments as well.

Great to see this thread bumped! I have several designs working, but my printer is kind of in limbo. Soon, I am hoping to get going again and make custom Atari things. I love this stuff way too much for bad circumstances to stop me for very long.

Did you end up testing the t-handle carts durability? Id be interested to know if they broke or came apart when inserting games in and out.

Edited by cjameslv

Let me know if you want pictures, I can put up photos with some dimenstions or something if you need em.

What I'd really like is a small plastic case that hold 2 standard PC 3.5" floppy drives, stacked or side by side, and has room in the back for a small power supply and a spot to put a panel mount IDC-Dsub connector, and the standard 3 pin AC connector. can't find a decent case for floppy drives anywhere, let alone plastic ones.

:)

Has anyone ever tried to interface an external Amiga external 3.5" Disk Drive to an Atari 8-Bit? They were very versatile drives, and I would think that it would be a very do-able project. I remember that the (less common) external Amiga 5.25" drives could read & write Atari 8-Bit disks without modification, when connected to an Amiga.

Has anyone ever tried to interface an external Amiga external 3.5" Disk Drive to an Atari 8-Bit? They were very versatile drives, and I would think that it would be a very do-able project. I remember that the (less common) external Amiga 5.25" drives could read & write Atari 8-Bit disks without modification, when connected to an Amiga.

I thought Amiga drives were like Mac drive, they used the CLV style drives that change the rotation speed depending on the head position, allows more data stored on the outer tracks. I'd think that'd make it difficult to do at best.

Stryder's Karin Maxi Drive uses normal PC 3.5" HD drives which you can get for dirt cheap to this day, the only downside is you have to take off the D0 pin on one of the drives (for some reason the IDC twisted cable doesn't seem to work, gotta use a straight cable and desolder one of the drive selector pins.

I put the project on the back burner, I need that case. 3D printers at monoprice looking very tempting these days.

Edited by Android8675

I thought Amiga drives were like Mac drive, they used the CLV style drives that change the rotation speed depending on the head position, allows more data stored on the outer tracks. I'd think that'd make it difficult to do at best....

No, as far as I know, only the special high-density drives for the 3000T, 4000, & 4000T used a multi-speed solution.

The standard Amiga external 1010 drive was completely programmable, as it relied on the computer that it was attached to to provide it's disk controller info, via a software driver. This is what made it a very special, & flexible drive to program for (from a copy-protection programming standpoint).

Also, I remember that the Macintosh hardware emulator boards stipulated having both Apple ROMs AND a Macintosh floppy drive, if you wanted to read actual Mac disks, and If I recall, this was because Mac drives had the variable speed characteristics that you mention.

So, in theory, as long as a driver were written for the Atari, you should be able to use the Amiga 1010 3.5" & Amiga 1020 5.25" disk drives. Probably via the parallel port or the PBI.

I'll look around and see if I can find the technical info that would be needed for creating such a driver.

How about an SF314 connected to an XF551 with the dual drive mod? That would look better than an Amiga drive. At least no C= logo :)

• Like 1

How about an SF314 connected to an XF551 with the dual drive mod? That would look better than an Amiga drive. At least no C= logo :)

Amen to no C= logo. But if the Amiga drives don't have disc drive controllers built in, wouldn't that be a massive performance hit for an A8 to drive it? Wouldn't you want something like an Arduino to drive it?

With that said, is anyone modding SF354s into XF354s? The 354 is the bane of the ST community so no sweat over converting them so A8 fans can use them.

Amen to no C= logo. But if the Amiga drives don't have disc drive controllers built in, wouldn't that be a massive performance hit for an A8 to drive it? Wouldn't you want something like an Arduino to drive it?

With that said, is anyone modding SF354s into XF354s? The 354 is the bane of the ST community so no sweat over converting them so A8 fans can use them.

CSS made an upgrade allowing the XF551 controller to access 2 drive units. What's wrong with 314's? Software compatibility for double-sided, or mechanical? I've never gotten in with ST's that much. If it's only software related, then it should be fine with the A8.

The Amiga 1010 3.5" drive has no Commode Logo. Neither does the Amiga 1000 system. Only the original Amiga Double Checkmark logo is present on the early equipment. The 1020 5.25" drive has both logos. As I'm sure you know, the Amiga 1000 was the brainchild of Jay Miner, as was the Atari 800. Atari was Atari in name only at this point, with the Evil Commodore himself, Jack Tramiel, busy steering Atari fleet into the Abyss. So, I wouldn't worry so much about it.

Another thing to consider is that Amiga equipment was very high-quality, much like the original Atari 800 system, in build quality. Atari ST era Atari stuff was Cost Reduced (CR) Equipment (more like a VIC or C64). The Amiga 500 & 600 were the only real attempts at cost cutting... and they're still built really well... to the point that Atari's "Power Without the Price" could have easily been countered by Amiga with "Price without the Dice". lol.