IGNORED

3d printer files for Atari?

jmccorm

The Amiga 1010 3.5" drive has no Commode Logo. Neither does the Amiga 1000 system. Only the original Amiga Double Checkmark logo is present on the early equipment. The 1020 5.25" drive has both logos. As I'm sure you know, the Amiga 1000 was the brainchild of Jay Miner, as was the Atari 800. Atari was Atari in name only at this point, with the Evil Commodore himself, Jack Tramiel, busy steering Atari fleet into the Abyss. So, I wouldn't worry so much about it.

Another thing to consider is that Amiga equipment was very high-quality, much like the original Atari 800 system, in build quality. Atari ST era Atari stuff was Cost Reduced (CR) Equipment (more like a VIC or C64). The Amiga 500 & 600 were the only real attempts at cost cutting... and they're still built really well... to the point that Atari's "Power Without the Price" could have easily been countered by Amiga with "Price without the Dice". lol.

Let's not get into a war of words of the parentage of the Amiga and the Atari ST. Point of fact, both are spiritually *Atari* machines. Yes, Jay Miner and Joe Decuir worked on the Amiga hardware. The Amiga's *hardware* is what makes it an *Atari* machine spiritually. Whereas the Atari ST's *operating system* was worked on by the likes of Landon Dyer, Dave Staugas, and other ex-Atari Inc alumni. Hell, the ST almost got the revolutionary AMY sound chip designed by Atari Inc, but alas, it was not meant to be.

Funny, I don't recall the ST having a high failure rate back in the day compared to the Amiga 1000 and successors. Tramiel and company didn't retool the Taiwan factory to make it inferior to when Atari Inc ran the show. That's compared to Commodore who always had lower quality output from their factories.

CSS made an upgrade allowing the XF551 controller to access 2 drive units. What's wrong with 314's? Software compatibility for double-sided, or mechanical? I've never gotten in with ST's that much. If it's only software related, then it should be fine with the A8.

I have nothing against the SF314. As an ST owner from back-in-the-day, I *hated* the SF354 with a passion because since the damn thing existed, the software publishing houses selected it as the lowest common denominator to crank their products out to support so we got stuck with a bunch of 360K single sided discs instead of 720K with the SF314. That would've been more bearable spec-wise when comparing it to the Apple IIGS with 800K discs and the Amiga with 880K; at least the ST discs had pseudo-compatibility with MS-DOS discs.

The SF354/XF354 would've been more appropriate for the 8-bit line but I guess Atari Corp polled the software publishers and they almost universally stated they wouldn't support 3.5" discs for A8. Commodore and Apple both also tried transitioning their 8-bit lines to 3.5" discs but also failed for the most part. At least their drives made it to market though.

I meant the interface between the drive and the controller. Does it have the same signals you would normally find on a 34 pin floppy connector?

I can't quickly find the pin-out for the physical drive, you would need to find the spec-sheet for the drive. The full external connector cable pin-out is here:

http://amiga.serveftp.net/HardwareBook/connector/storage/extdiskamiga.html

Let's not get into a war of words of the parentage of the Amiga and the Atari ST. Point of fact, both are spiritually *Atari* machines. Yes, Jay Miner and Joe Decuir worked on the Amiga hardware. The Amiga's *hardware* is what makes it an *Atari* machine spiritually. Whereas the Atari ST's *operating system* was worked on by the likes of Landon Dyer, Dave Staugas, and other ex-Atari Inc alumni. Hell, the ST almost got the revolutionary AMY sound chip designed by Atari Inc, but alas, it was not meant to be.

Funny, I don't recall the ST having a high failure rate back in the day compared to the Amiga 1000 and successors. Tramiel and company didn't retool the Taiwan factory to make it inferior to when Atari Inc ran the show. That's compared to Commodore who always had lower quality output from their factories.

Well, I sold both STs and Amigas between 1986-1988, so I'm very familiar with the hardware of both systems, as well as the accessories, & software for both systems, because I set them up, demoed them, and had to sell them. Call it bias, or call it experience.

I was a die-hard Atari 800 user, and hated anything to do with Commodore. The Amiga, however, was not like the other Commodore systems. I initially wanted an ST until I read about the Amiga, in the first issue of Amigaworld. Once I was in an environment with both systems, I chose the Amiga 1000 system. The only people who tend to refer to the Amiga as a "Commodore Amiga" are people who weren't Amiga owners... It was almost incidental that Commodore owned the Amiga, because we referred to it only as "The Amiga". The word Commodore still had many bad past associations with the Atari 8-Bit users who had moved to the Amiga.

Ultimately, both companies failed because of mismanagement. I would have been a lot happier if one company had bought the other, and had shared technology & succeeded, rather than both companies failing. The Amiga should never have died at the hands of Commodore's utterly useless mis-management. It is one of the greatest tragedies in the history of technology. It left many, many people very, very heartbroken & bitter, and it snuffed out Jay Miner's entire legacy of system architecture (in a comercial sense), & many years of innovative products & ideas. Really sucks.

I moved on to SGIs, Suns, & Linux, but truthfully, as far as I'm concerned, computing was never as fun and interesting as it had been with the Atari 8-Bits, and the Amiga systems.

A lot of people only think of the Amiga 500, but there was a very rich product line that include many very powerful systems. I still own the Amiga 4000T with a 68060, and it is still a very remarkable machine. I am happy that the AROS open source Amiga OS project exists, and hope that, one day, open source hardware picks up where the Amiga 4000T left off. I was on the Natami Team (an FPGA-based high-end Amiga), but because it was a closed source project, it failed when the two chief designers had a falling out.

There is still a very active community of Amiga technical people, but the technology has diverged in so many directions, that it makes it difficult to see how all of the different camps could ever come to consensus on what they really want from a "New" community-based Amiga. It does make me happy that the original vision of Jay Miner lives on, at least at a community level, though.

Edited by UNIXcoffee928
  • Like 1

Well, I sold both STs and Amigas between 1986-1988, so I'm very familiar with the hardware of both systems, as well as the accessories, & software for both systems, because I set them up, demoed them, and had to sell them. Call it bias, or call it experience.

I was a die-hard Atari 800 user, and hated anything to do with Commodore. The Amiga, however, was not like the other Commodore systems. I initially wanted an ST until I read about the Amiga, in the first issue of Amigaworld. Once I was in an environment with both systems, I chose the Amiga 1000 system. The only people who tend to refer to the Amiga as a "Commodore Amiga" are people who weren't Amiga owners... It was almost incidental that Commodore owned the Amiga, because we referred to it only as "The Amiga". The word Commodore still had many bad past associations with the Atari 8-Bit users who had moved to the Amiga.

Ultimately, both companies failed because of mismanagement. I would have been a lot happier if one company had bought the other, and had shared technology & succeeded, rather than both companies failing. The Amiga should never have died at the hands of Commodore's utterly useless mis-management. It is one of the greatest tragedies in the history of technology. It left many, many people very, very heartbroken & bitter, and it snuffed out Jay Miner's entire legacy of system architecture (in a comercial sense), & many years of innovative products & ideas. Really sucks.

I moved on to SGIs, Suns, & Linux, but truthfully, as far as I'm concerned, computing was never as fun and interesting as it had been with the Atari 8-Bits, and the Amiga systems.

A lot of people only think of the Amiga 500, but there was a very rich product line that include many very powerful systems. I still own the Amiga 4000T with a 68060, and it is still a very remarkable machine. I am happy that the AROS open source Amiga OS project exists, and hope that, one day, open source hardware picks up where the Amiga 4000T left off. I was on the Natami Team (an FPGA-based high-end Amiga), but because it was a closed source project, it failed when the two chief designers had a falling out.

There is still a very active community of Amiga technical people, but the technology has diverged in so many directions, that it makes it difficult to see how all of the different camps could ever come to consensus on what they really want from a "New" community-based Amiga. It does make me happy that the original vision of Jay Miner lives on, at least at a community level, though.

I am in agreement with the sentiment that both should've merged [at least their platforms]. That could've happened whenever their lawsuits were settled, circa 1988 or so. They both spent far too much money and resources into fighting one another instead of their common competitors which ultimately drove both out of business. I remember E. Arthur Brown - of the computer mail order company which sold both platforms - said as much in an editorial around that time period, or shortly thereafter.

But as for GUI metaphors, I'll select a "desktop" over a "workbench". I wonder if the folks at Rational were Amiga fans because their whole suite uses a "workbench" even after their acquisition by IBM. But that's a different discussion...

My printer got here, but it's badly damaged. Print bed is bent at the mount, as if it had things stacked on top of it-- it is NOT load bearing. Print head mount is bent up as well, though I might be able to work with that. Structural damage all through, but the electronics look like they are ok. The bed is the worst of the damage, it has several pieces of metal that got bent at once, not just a single one. I am going to do diagnostic and see if all the electronics are ok, if yes then I can relatively easily and cheaply replace the metal. Sorry for the fuzzy pics. The lines are NOT supposed to be bent like that, they are all supposed to be straight, like laser straight. It's been three days, I was seriously angry when I got it but now I look at it as an opportunity to learn and repair-- I like both!

post-7404-0-73278600-1453992080_thumb.jpg

Man - that's terrible. Why would you not ship that back and demand a replacement?

Here's why, the short version. Printer was stolen, then recovered and put into storage in my absence, awaiting shipping to me, NOT in a storage place but at a friend of a friend's house. Friend of friend doesn't care too much about me, or the printer, nothing to him to let it get messed up. Shipping is questionable, insurance might pay something for repairs.

It wasn't sent from a company; that's the short version. I have to figure out now what it will take to repair it, a cost, so I can go to the insurance for that amount. If it totals more than $500, that's the cost of a new printer. Anything marginally less (marginally being $400) I wil replace it and count it as parts for a new build later and buy a replacement for it.

I won't go into the long story of it, it's tragic, lots of drugs and back-stabbing and selfishness. I have escaped the dark side for now, though.

• 1 month later...

Alrighty then! Since the last post (sorry to not post updates, life demands me elsewhere), I have worked at a gas station, been taxed to nothingness and got a decently sized refund. The printer was recovered, and is on its way to the factory for repair. I don't have the tools to fix it myself anymore, else I would have.

Also, the refund was sizeable enough that I bought a NEW ONE TOO!!! Monoprice Maker Select, no frills printer as a workhorse. It JUST got to the house today, so it's not set up or even really unpacked yet. I have to do some rearranging to make it work.

I'm really glad that things are moving along with this, my printing and all, it's the best thing ever for me, I love doing it and am looking forward to making a lot of retro plastic things as well as a world of other things!

My $0.02 on the whole Chameleon debacle is that I regret not getting one of the newly made shells, but now I can make my OWN shell however the hell I want it to look. Here is a pic of the design I have meant for the FB2 portable. Work in progress :D

post-7404-0-66818600-1456870411_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Did anyone tried https://www.3dhubs.com/? For proof of concept, outsourcing the print job may be cheaper than investing and maintaining 3D printer.

Yep, im on 3d hubs. It works great for uploading and getting quotes. Check it out here i posted some prints but alot i do are peoples prototypes so cant post pics of those.

https://www.3dhubs.com/las-vegas/hubs/cjameslv

Also, here is the new printer, I should have posted this picture earlier. It's a pic from newegg, mine is still in the box. 8" print bed!!!!!

Very cool! Hope you get it setup and going soon.

Thanks!

As of right now, the printer is still in its box, I haven't set it up yet, and my work hours are starting to intrude on my time in a BIG way.

The Chameleon thread has me wondering if I want to make a Jag style case for a mini ITX board? I might recase one of those little computers that are for sale now inside one that I print up myself. I know what I WON'T put in there, a capture card. Hell no.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I don't suppose anyone has done a Atari lynx battery cover on a 3D printer? I really want to replace the one I have as it is half broken and i've seen a few 3D printed ones on Ebay but didnt think I could really ask the seller. I've only really just started with mine so not quite there with the designing part yet. any help would be amazing!!!!

• 2 months later...
On 12/10/2020 at 5:54 PM, Sophie said:

I don't suppose anyone has done a Atari lynx battery cover on a 3D printer? I really want to replace the one I have as it is half broken and i've seen a few 3D printed ones on Ebay but didnt think I could really ask the seller. I've only really just started with mine so not quite there with the designing part yet. any help would be amazing!!!!

You can help make this happen even if you don't have a 3D printer:

1. Search around; see if someone's made this. Unfortunately there isn't 1 "go to" site for 3D objects; there's many. Makes it slightly harder to find what is out there...
  2. If no one made this, get a $9 set of digital calipers and learn some 3D application that's popular in the community, like TinkerCad, Sketchup. Blender (no), or Fusion.
  3. Produce a 3D object and get someone to print it for you, or use a printing service for cheap.
  4. If you're making viable shapes, and getting them printed and sent to you... you're going to want a 3D printer yourself.  ?

An Ender 3 is sub-$200 and produces outstanding quality out of the box (with room for tinkering + improvement). I'm finding 3D printing to be a more fun hobby than the Atari A8's I grew up on...