IGNORED

Ethernet Adapter for Falcon

So I finally have a Falcon 030 winging it's way to me, and I'm hoping to hell it's not DOA. The seller listed it as 'not work / for parts' because of it's age but did say it's working 100%. He looks to have packed it well so I can only sit, wait and hope.

In the mean time I've been reading up on network connectivity and it seems like the NETUS-Bee replaced the EtherNEC, but neither are available for purchase. What's the best move now, use the NETUS-Bee plans and look at building one?

Also any info on RAM upgrades, HDD upgrades and even FPUs would be appreciated, i.e. what works and where to get 'em.

Cheers :)

Lotharek is prepairing a new batch of the NETUsbee:

http://www.lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=73

the good old EtherNEC should be available:

http://www.freemint.org/ethernec/ethernec.html

HDD Upgrade: I've removed the 2,5'' HDD and installed a CompactFlash-Adapterv - work pretty good :-) In addition with an external devíce like the UltraSatan or the Gigafile.

Thanks for the tips! I tripped over the EtherNEC link after posting and Alan confirmed via email that he is still selling them!

Will look at grabbing a compact flash kit perhaps. I read that you can only fit one IDE drive internally, is there any way of running a cable out of the case for a second device?

Hmmm...I've thought you can attach two devices to the internal IDE controller of the Falcon. If you would like two compact-flash adapters you have to buy adapters where you can set master/slave.

You only have to look for the IDE cable :-)

The problem with a cable outside the Falcon could be the length of the cable. The cable should be very short. Two IDE harddisks could be a problem internally because of the heat.

I'am using internally a compact-flash adapter and externally a GigaFile with a SCSI-Adapter :)

You can take a look here: http://www.jungsi.de...gafile-adapter/ (only German)

• Like 1

I am eagerly waiting for Lotharek to finish assembling the NetUSBee!!!

Me too! I have some Atari waiting for ethernet connection. The EtherNEC is ok and is doing his work, but I love the NetUSBee, because it's very small and I can use a USB-Mouse ;-)

• 1 month later...

Hard to find now, but there are cable's/devices that allow the Falcon to use

2 IDE devices internally. I've got an 80gig IDE hard drive and a Liteon IDE

CDRW in my recased Falcon.

Here is a small picture of the device I use:

post-5822-0-64745400-1375961736.gif

Also, I'm not absolutely sure, but I don't think the Hydra's are available any

more. Get one of Lotharek's NetUSBee's - his work is first rate/world class.

HTHs.

I've ordered stuff from Lotharek before and really like the quality of his products. In fact I'm pretty much sending my next paycheck over to him, you know, with VBXE's going on pre-order, and I still need to pick up an UltraSatan and maybe a couple more U1M's. I'll definitely be getting a few of the new NetUSBee's he's building but for now I guess I'll get one of Alan's EtherNEC boards to hold me over. I've been thinking about getting one of Alan's IDE boards too while I'm at it so I might as well just order it all at once.