IGNORED

Which games would you have pictured on the Jaguar and why?

Gamer888

I was actually going to ask if it was made by the same guys. The game looks very similar from a combat standpoint, the way you shoot, etc. That and the main character looks like the precursor to the rabbit in Jumping Flash (at least in terms of the arms/legs, etc.).

I'm surprised Sony hasn't asked for a remake of it. Could you imagine a 32 player, graphically updated, Jumping Flash on PS4.

I'm surprised Sony hasn't asked for a remake of it. Could you imagine a 32 player, graphically updated, Jumping Flash on PS4.

I originally got a PSP because they'd said they were working on one for it. It never happened. :(

Edited by Rex Dart

• 3 months later...

Couple of games I would have liked to see:

- Heretic

- Star Control 2

- Star Control 1?

- Eye of the Beholder (any of the three could easily work PERFECTLY on the Jag)

- Warlords

- Any flight simulator like F117A Stealth Fighter or Falcon 4.0 or something

- Any computer port that's console-ish...

Re: the flight sim suggestion above... somehow I imagine a choppy 'Checkered Flag' like experience in the sky. :rolling:

It's funny it even has to be mentioned on a retro-gaming forum, but flight simulators always had framerate issues on multiple platforms (PC, not excluding). Sure, occasionally there was an exception to this rule, and we got a simulator that both LOOKED & PLAYED excellent - TFX comes to mind (on PC).

But, it's basically given that flight simulators had sub-15 framerate, many times dropping to 3-5 fps range.

Comanche (yes, I know - it's arcade, not a true flight-sim), for example, had terrible framerate on majority of missions (less than 10 fps), yet was extremely entertaining and immersive.

So - no, We don't need higher framerate for the flight-sim game to be enjoyable.

That 'it's jag so it better be 60+ fps' nonsense is truly a total nonsense in the context of flight-sims. For an arcane retro platform, 12-15 fps is plenty for a flight-sim.

Which just gave me the idea...

Seeing as Bullfrog already had a title or two on the Jag, basic 'Cybermorph' looking variants of Hi-Octane and Magic Carpet could have been an interesting concept. Although, I suspect the self-terraforming landscapes of MCarpet may have presented an issue (Hahaha! I imagine the game pausing momentarily with a small "loading" dialog box in the middle of the screen whilst it works it out :D )

I suppose an arcade perfect conversion of Atari's very own Race Drivin' wouldn't have been all 'that' far out of reach either tbh.

Atari Corp and Atari Games Corp/Tengen were two different companies. Race Drivin' was Atari Games IP.

Road Riot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj902lio7UU and Road Riot Revenge:

look like Jag games already. Too bad Atari Games and Corp weren't on the same page. :(

I don't know how 68030 specific the code is but Atari Corp did do ports of Atari Games Corp's Road Riot 4WD and Steel Talons to the Falcon.

From my understanding, the Jag should have better graphics capabilities than the Falcon so a port should be easy despite the differences between the Jag's 68000 - assuming one used that exclusively over the Jag's other processors - versus the Falcon's 68030. I'm also not sure how much those ports rely upon the Motorola 56k DSP as well which might be superior to the Jag's DSP. Regardless, those games are already designed to use the Jaguar controllers...

Actually, you don't really want the Falcon versions on the Jaguar. I think they're pretty crappy and could have been done better on ST/STE by the hands of capable coders. Weren't they ported by Tengen? Somehow I think Tengen never managed to get the most out of their ports to the ST/Falcon.

I don't think they touched the DSP in the Falcon. Maybe for standard sound playback/tracker music by I even doubt that.

Edited by Ayreon

The Jag already have several races, beat'em up and shoot'em up games but is still lacking any Bomberman :(

This game is quite basic but also one of the funniest game I ever played.

Four players playing together like on the original version would be possible thanks to the Teamtap.

A famous french homebrewer already worked on it by the past but gave it up.

Edited by Felyx
  • Like 1