IGNORED

Which games would you have pictured on the Jaguar and why?

Gamer888

Actually, you don't really want the Falcon versions on the Jaguar. I think they're pretty crappy and could have been done better on ST/STE by the hands of capable coders. Weren't they ported by Tengen? Somehow I think Tengen never managed to get the most out of their ports to the ST/Falcon.

I don't think they touched the DSP in the Falcon. Maybe for standard sound playback/tracker music by I even doubt that.

Hmm, I don't know if Tengen [Atari Games] actually did those conversions or not. I think Atari Corp either did them in-house or outsourced them. And I don't remember them being that bad. And even if they are bad, they aren't as bad as some of the titles in the Jaguar's library. I'd love Road Riot with JagLink/Catbox/whatever link capabilities on the Jag. Actually, that's surprising the Falcon version didn't use MIDI for networking. What's that about not being able to see the forest from the trees?

But I'll tell you I'd love to see Tengen's Genesis port of Gauntlet converted to the Jag! That should definitely be doable - if the source code is available - as a straight port to the 68000 since the Jag's 68000 is faster than the Genesis's version.

And I'd love Slime World to be ported to the Jag…again with JagLink/Catbox networking like the Lynx's original version with ComLynx support. I wouldn't want it split-screen like the lackluster Genesis version. And Warbirds would be another good JagLink/Catbox candidate even without spruced up graphics.

• 2 weeks later...

Eye of the Beholder II,

Raptor - Call of the Shadows,

Rolling Thunder,

Swiv,

Speedball,

Desert Strike,

Warbirds

Can you imagine Warbirds ported so it could use JagLink/Catbox to link up 4 or more Jags [or even Lynxes with adapter cables]? Same with Slime Word.

Jaguar Rolling Thunder could've been definitive. The ST and Amiga versions certainly aren't.

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding issue of frame rates on flight sims (which was mentioned earlier) think early/preview code of Amiga Gunship 2000 was between 5 and 10 FPS depending on which detail level you ran game at.

As an ex-Atari 520STFM owner who picked up a Jaguar, it'd been fantastic to have seen new installments or 'updates' on games i poured hours into on the ST, so Super Cars 3, Llamatron 2000 along with new Laser Squad and Lords Of Chaos (cart), Captive 3, Midwinter 3 and Hunter 2 on Jag CD would have had me chuffed to buggery and all seemed technically very 'do-able'.

ST Rolling Thunder is let down by weak sound FX, poor scrolling and dissapointing animation, more could have been done with the conversion.

The Amiga version is basically a sound improved only ST-port (gunshots etc much better), but still features same poor scrolling and animation and if you were an Amiga owner at the time, you'd be paying £5 more than yer ST owning mates.
Basically from what i recal, the 16 Bit versions simply were'nt of the expected standard.
I'd class them under dissapointed with...rather than actual 'bad' conversions.
  • Like 1

I often wonder IF Atari did at least try and get likes of Vektor Graphix (Bomber, Killing Cloud etc) and D.I.D (Epic, Inferno, Robocop III) on-board to produce Jaguar games as their 3D engines on the humble ST were superb and you always saw 3D coders on the ST and Amiga saying if only we had faster chipsets we could do....

Also Michael Powell (Powerdrome) as he was doing 'big' things on the PC with Cyber Fight, using polygon 3Din 256 colours, Gouraud Shading, texture-mapping etc.

These guys seem ideally suited to tap into potential of the Jaguar hardware.

ST Rolling Thunder is let down by weak sound FX, poor scrolling and dissapointing animation, more could have been done with the conversion.

The Amiga version is basically a sound improved only ST-port (gunshots etc much better), but still features same poor scrolling and animation and if you were an Amiga owner at the time, you'd be paying £5 more than yer ST owning mates.
Basically from what i recal, the 16 Bit versions simply were'nt of the expected standard.
I'd class them under dissapointed with...rather than actual 'bad' conversions.

That sounds about right. The Amiga version should've at least had scrolling that matched the arcade version; had an STE version been done, it also should've been able to match the arcade's scrolling abilities.

Both versions could've been better. The arcade had a Motorola 6809 instead of a 68000. If my memory is correct, it did have a few extra sound chips which may be beyond the abilities of the Amiga but both the Amiga and ST could've used more sampling.

A Jaguar version would definitely work well. I don't like the sequels to the game and unfortunately only the sequel(s) was made available for the Genesis.

Note: There's a lot of arcade conversions for the ST and the Amiga done in the UK that were total disappointments…must've been rush jobs by the various studios/publishers at the time. And even ones where the graphics were nice usually suffered poor joystick support…okay, they weren't arcade conversions but I'm looking at Dalek Attack and that Batman game [with Batman's blue & gray comic costume] in particular.

Edited by Lynxpro

Sadly it was'nt just arcade conversions that 'suffered' in terms of could have been much better on ST/Amiga (espically when the C64 versions seemed to play a damn site better, yes, thinking of YOU:Powerdrift, Operation Wolf, Ghosts N Goblins etc, despite not looking anywhere near as nice) but the 8 bit to 16 Bit conversions of original games as well.

Oceans 16 Bit version of Wiz Ball looked the part, just never seemed to play anything like the C64 original, less said about 16 Bit Armalyte the better, ST Myth, (despite what RG say) only made it as far as a Zero magazine cover disk, sadly never released...

Ocean's ST Robocop was'nt as good as the ZX Spectrum 128K version, they then promised it'd be vastly improved for the Amiga, Full screen etc, yet all they did was beef up the sonics...we wuz cheated time and time again....

• Like 1

I often wonder IF Atari did at least try and get likes of Vektor Graphix (Bomber, Killing Cloud etc) and D.I.D (Epic, Inferno, Robocop III) on-board to produce Jaguar games as their 3D engines on the humble ST were superb and you always saw 3D coders on the ST and Amiga saying if only we had faster chipsets we could do....

These guys seem ideally suited to tap into potential of the Jaguar hardware.

While I would also love to see what D.I.D. could do with Jag, don't forget that to tap into jag's potential, they would actually have to code a GPU-only rasterizer from scratch.

Of course, they could just reuse their 68000 codebase and tweak it to account for absence of bitplanes, and you would certainly get a nice framerate boost, just from the higher speed of jag's Motorola.

Personally, from what I already know about jag from coding it, to get the best-looking flight simulation on Jag, you need a voxel-style landscape and polygonal objects.

Think Comanche-style landscape and TFX-style aircrafts. I'd love to play it, but I'd hate to code it :)

• Like 2

i know thorsten and lynxpro already mentioned, but I have to say again Steel Talons really looks like it belonged on the jaguar. It came out on the genesis, snes, and even the atari lynx all in severely gimped form. with the strike series so popular i think a near-perfect arcade port could've really attracted people to the jaguar and shown them the jaguar could manage a big leap over the previous generation.

• Like 1

i know thorsten and lynxpro already mentioned, but I have to say again Steel Talons really looks like it belonged on the jaguar. It came out on the genesis, snes, and even the atari lynx all in severely gimped form. with the strike series so popular i think a near-perfect arcade port could've really attracted people to the jaguar and shown them the jaguar could manage a big leap over the previous generation.

It was ported to the Atari Falcon prior to the release of the Jaguar. Of course, the Falcon has a Motorola 68030 CPU. I think the reason why we didn't get the Atari Games titles on the Jaguar was due to the licensing dispute between Atari Corp and Atari Games Corp. Atari Corp ended up issuing shares to Atari Games as part of the settlement at the behest of Time Warner. It was after that that Atari Games started supporting the Jaguar and the Co-Jag development deal came about. Had there not been the dispute, the Jag probably would've had as many Atari Games/Tengen titles on it as the Lynx had. What a shame, especially since Tengen could've just ported their Genesis/Mega Drive versions over and fine tuned them… Gauntlet would've ruled and Tengen's version of Marble Madness [which they marketed in Japan on the Mega Drive; EA did a separate version for the US] would've definitely been sweet.

Upgraded version of MD Gauntlet 4 would have been fantastic (possibly the best MD music in my humble opinion).

See the Strike series mentioned, Soviet Strike started out on 3DO and since it's pulling data (for landscapes etc) off the CD, i assume Jaguar CD could of 'handled' a version just as easily as the 3DO version?

Starglider 3 or even just something like Super Star Glider 2 i'd have loved also.I mentioned Midwinter earlier, i know Mike Singleton had Midwinter III planned for 'PS2 and Nintendo Dolphin' (as it was known at the time) as he talked about it in Arcade's Timewarp section, but still feel it'd made an ideal Jaguar CD game......

• Like 1