IGNORED

Ouya Thread

phaxda

Besides Pinball Arcade and Bards Take I picked up these two games which are worth it for me:

A Space Shooter for 2 bucks (looks a lot better than on the PSP)

Does it happen to be called "Radiant"? That game is sweet. It's like a modern clone of Space Invaders and Galaga with customizable ship upgrades. And the premium unlock is only $1.99

Need to try the following:

Fester Mudd: (Secret of Monkey Island type game)

Guns n Glory

One Tap Hero

Puddle

Towerfall

I noticed "Puddle" in the Ouya store last night, but I already own it on the Wii-U eShop. It's pretty fun with the motion control on the Wii-U gamepad. Mechanics take getting used to though but it's worth it.

Sonic 4 Episode 1 & 2 is coming over to Ouya on Thursday the 27th, for $4.95 per episode. BTW, Episode 1 costs 14.95 on Wiiware/ PSN and Episode 2 is as of yet unreleased on a Nintendo console. If there's one thing I've noticed it's that a lot of games are much cheaper on Ouya than on PSN and Wiiware/eShop. There's a lot of hidden fees publishing on the big 3 consoles. For instance on Ouya, there is no ESRB ratings on any of the games, and I'd imagine that getting games rated by the ESRB can get expensive. It's a drop in the bucket for big budget titles, but the fees can kill small developers. Also, Ouya has a 70/30 royalty policy, so I'd imagine publishers get more profits per game, so they are passing the savings onto you.

woohoo. new firmware update today too. It's getting more of the friendly features we expect of consoles.

Parental purchase controls are the most welcome feature I can see. I don't have any kids, but I'll probably set it up since it's pretty easy to find yourself one click away from buying something.

Also this update adds support for prepaid card redemption.

This is good news. I haven't updated since I played it last night, but i noticed some people have kids and it's too easy to charge stuff on it. I wouldn't mind the extra step of inputting a password just for security and peace of mind. For people with children, it's a must.

I also noticed there was a ton more stuff in the shop last night compared to a few days ago. I suspected that a lot of publishers were waiting for the official launch date, and I was right. Now all Ouya needs is for these good reviews to come out. Anybody know a good website for reviews of Ouya games? I currently use NintendoLife for eShop reviews, and they also have sister sites for Playstation and Xbox. Penny Arcade seems like a nice place for indie reviews, but I haven't done a lot of research. It shouldn't really be as necessary though with Ouya since after a few minutes with a game, you'll know whether you like it enough to buy it or not.

Edited by stardust4ever

Does it happen to be called "Radiant"? That game is sweet. It's like a modern clone of Space Invaders and Galaga with customizable ship upgrades. And the premium unlock is only $1.99

No it's a different game but Radiant looks great. I need to check that.

I noticed "Puddle" in the Ouya store last night, but I already own it on the Wii-U eShop. It's pretty fun with the motion control on the Wii-U gamepad. Mechanics take getting used to though but it's worth it.

Sonic 4 Episode 1 & 2 is coming over to Ouya on Thursday the 27th, for $4.95 per episode. BTW, Episode 1 costs 14.95 on Wiiware/ PSN and Episode 2 is as of yet unreleased on a Nintendo console. If there's one thing I've noticed it's that a lot of games are much cheaper on Ouya than on PSN and Wiiware/eShop. There's a lot of hidden fees publishing on the big 3 consoles. For instance on Ouya, there is no ESRB ratings on any of the games, and I'd imagine that getting games rated by the ESRB can get expensive. It's a drop in the bucket for big budget titles, but the fees can kill small developers. Also, Ouya has a 70/30 royalty policy, so I'd imagine publishers get more profits per game, so they are passing the savings onto you.

That's very interesting and I also noticed the price tags are cheaper. I should check Square's FFIII since they are notorious for charging 15 or more dollars for their games.

New system update looking good and I am excited for some of the new games. Also the first time I have had working XBMC in some time (telling that my original Xbox was the last system to have it!) and am really enjoying the offerings on that as well.

For $99, not a lot to complain about from here. The only issue I have is that my wife has decided to play Wii Harvest Moon: Animal Parade with renewed vigor and the TV is sometimes occupied with that. So I have to play Pikmin Adventure on the Wii U tablet instead. Life is hard. Luckily, the Ouya is also very portable--picking up the little box and moving it to the bedroom TV is simple enough. Thinking about getting an extra power supply.

Agreed that it should integrate external storage a lot better.

I played around with some of the emulators yesterday. As expected, gb/gbc/gba, nes and snes emulators all run fine with defaults.

The N64 emulator, Mupen64plus, is quite playable but has terrible defaults. The default plug-in has rendering problems with a lot of games - Super Mario 64 is a notable exception - but once I set the video plug-in to gles2glide64 and the video render resolution to 320x240 most other games displayed fine and had decent frame rates.

The playstation emulator, FPse, has great frame rates but I stopped playing when the analog control sticks appeared to have coarse mapping and range issues with 2 different games I played... so much so that I thought my Ouya might have the infamous stick issues and had to confirm with the stick testing app that they were good. The emulated audio also stopped a minute into each game, though I'm not so sure if that isn't a demo thing. Also, I think it's using an internal 160x120 rendering to achieve the great frame rates, or else PSX graphics are a lot more coarse than I recall. I don't think I'll be using this one.

• Like 1

No it's a different game but Radiant looks great. I need to check that.

Mind telling me what that game is you're talking about? I might enjoy it. ;)

That's very interesting and I also noticed the price tags are cheaper. I should check Square's FFIII since they are notorious for charging 15 or more dollars for their games.

I don't recommend FFIII. Rumor has it that the game will refuse to load if your internet is down. Worse yet, if your router or the FFIII server has hiccups during what should be offline gameplay, the game will boot you off. Ouya was meant to be about openness, not restrictive always-online DRM practices. My DSL periodically drops for a minute or so, and I don't want my game to terminate without so much as a save prompt. Besides, I'm not really into Final Fantasy, and if I was, the original 2D sprite verions are so much better than low poly 3D which basically ruins the art style. Square was a master of 16-bit RPGs and isometric perspective. I have played Super Mario RPG and the graphics IMO some of the best on SNES. Well it's actually a toss-up between SMRPG and Yoshi's island...

The N64 emulator, Mupen64plus, is quite playable but has terrible defaults. The default plug-in has rendering problems with a lot of games - Super Mario 64 is a notable exception - but once I set the video plug-in to gles2glide64 and the video render resolution to 320x240 most other games displayed fine and had decent frame rates.

I've pretty much verified that my Ouya controller does not have the mapping issues that plagued the original design. when I tilt the controller slightly on Mario64, Mario barely tip-toes along, then I tilt a little bit more and he walks and finally runs. I can make him run arcs and nicely shaped circles as well, so I know my analog stick is functioning properly.

They really need to add support for external storage, 8gb is not enough to last.

Tell that to the people who bought a Wii-U basic. At least the majority of the downloadable Ouya games are 100mb or less and not multi-gigabyte affairs like retail Wii-U games, but I got discs for those :P

For the time being, I think 8gb is sufficient, unless you insist on downloading everything. I'm sure in time they will release an update to expand the memory using a USB stick. 32Gb USB still costs over $30 unless you get it on sale. Ouya is pretty high tech for $100 bucks.

Edited by stardust4ever

For the time being, I think 8gb is sufficient, unless you insist on downloading everything. I'm sure in time they will release an update to expand the memory using a USB stick. 32Gb USB still costs over $30 unless you get it on sale. Ouya is pretty high tech for $100 bucks.

Hmm . . . they'd better do this soon, considering that the description on Amazon says you can currently hook up a USB hard drive. Or is the issue just with USB sticks?

I gave in and ordered one of these today. As if I needed another console. :)

Apparently it's easy to validate a purchased game via the FFIII method. The developer himself must make a special effort to code a way to securely check the purchase once and store the validation offline. Essentially it's up to the developer to make sure his game isn't pirated unless he gives in and uses the built-in purchase check online.

Not sure how I feel about that. I know that as a newbie Ouya developer I wouldn't know how to code my own checks.

There is still one minor software issue with my controller that cannot be corrected by modding it. If I am holding down an analog trigger and tap any face button or the D-pad, upon release of the button, the trigger will stop registering even if I'm still pressing it. Both the left and right triggers are effected.

It seems the bum analog sticks and the aforementioned analog-trigger-deactivates-while-pressing-another-button bug can only be fixed with a firmware update to the controller itself, and it doesn't seem like this is currently possible through software since they had people returning the Ouya controllers to be re-flashed. Future bugs need to be fixable through software/firmware updates.

Today, I tested my triggers in pinball arcade and they failed. This is very annoying, since I'm a fan of racing games and any decent racing game is going to show off an issue like that.

I take it you've seen it happen in other non-pinball software ruling that out as a cause.

I wonder if they've fixed it yet. Their testing process doesn't seem stellar, since my controllers are at least the 3rd revision since they started handing them out and there are still problems with concurrent button presses.

edit: actually, what besides pinball have you seen it on? I just tested it on little crane and it doesn't seem to have the issue.

Edited by Reaperman

Today, I tested my triggers in pinball arcade and they failed. This is very annoying, since I'm a fan of racing games and any decent racing game is going to show off an issue like that.

I take it you've seen it happen in other non-pinball software ruling that out as a cause.

I wonder if they've fixed it yet. Their testing process doesn't seem stellar, since my controllers are at least the 3rd revision since they started handing them out and there are still problems with concurrent button presses.

edit: actually, what besides pinball have you seen it on? I just tested it on little crane and it doesn't seem to have the issue.

Um, Pinball Arcade is the only software I've tested this on. I didn't have any issues playing Mario64 however, and so far, those are the only software I've tested that use the analog triggers. It potentially could be software related or the controller, I don't know. I didn't have an issue long-jumping in Mario 64 though.

Apparently it's easy to validate a purchased game via the FFIII method. The developer himself must make a special effort to code a way to securely check the purchase once and store the validation offline. Essentially it's up to the developer to make sure his game isn't pirated unless he gives in and uses the built-in purchase check online.

Not sure how I feel about that. I know that as a newbie Ouya developer I wouldn't know how to code my own checks.

But this will make purchased upgrades useless if Ouya fails or the servers ever get taken offline. What if somebody wants to pre-load a ton of games and take the Ouya to summer camp or elsewhere? It would suck not to have access to things you paid for, offline or not. And there's no way to know if an app is affected unless you buy it and then manually test it with the internet disconnected.

BTW, I am happy to announce you can play all your purchased Pinball Arcade tables offline to your heart's content. ;)

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Tell that to the people who bought a Wii-U basic. At least the majority of the downloadable Ouya games are 100mb or less and not multi-gigabyte affairs like retail Wii-U games, but I got discs for those :P

Yes but at least you can use the USB drive to expand the storage for all games on the Wii u, unlike with the ouya. With the ouya you can not install anything bought on the ouya store to the USB drive yet, very few apps allow you to load files from the extra storage, I know that the emulators allow this (such as loading roms from the drive, but the emulator has to be on the internal storage), but so far everything else has to be installed on the internal storage. So far one game on ouya take past 3GB of storage.

Edited by madmax2069

3 gigabytes! :-o What game takes up 3 gigs? I'll bet it's $59.99 too... :ponder:

These are supposed to be Indie games, not full blown AAA retail titles... :ponder:

Bard's tale is 122mb +3.5gb of data. (or 1.8gb for low rez textures)

However the game itself provides the option for the extra data to be installed on a usb drive.

Not sure why an 'open' console wouldn't have the platform's big releases on it.

The largest games seem to benefit greatly from using a controller, and many already have support for them.

When I picture what people think of when the term 'indie game' is used I cringe a little. Not for me.

Edited by Reaperman

well today is ouya's launch day, and another very big day for releases. Much bigger names than yesterday.

Shadowgun and ravensword shadowlands.

also zombie outbreak looks kind of neat.

and we're not even halfway through the day yet.

I can't wait to try these.

ouya releases by latest added/modified

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

Super Crate Box!

Shit...I love that little game.

Still it's so hard to sort through all these. The good from the bad. I'll be trying some more out tonight and list some good ones (at least that I feel are worth trying).

Someone mentioned you can connect the Ouya to your PC via micro USB...anyone try it? Does it show up as a drive or something. Trying to figure out the best way to xfer roms etc.

I'm very curious about Shadowgun. I've been reading about it since I saw it was coming to GameStick. It sounds good.

I thought I heard somewhere that dead trigger was coming to gamestick (pre-loaded, acutally), where shadowgun was coming to ouya and they hadn't made announcements to do both on each platform (yet). but I might be behind on my announcements.

I played shadowgun side loaded, and honestly it's not my kind of genre, but I'll probably buy it because it's good. Only $4.99 too.

Edited by Reaperman

Try shutting off the controller and starting it up again. They should self-center at startup, but if they're being pressed at that time you'll get a false self-center.

For anybody wanting to side-load and run the joystick test on their console...

1. go to MAKE+SOFTWARE and launch the browser app

2. using the mouse pad, enter the following URL into the location bar of the browser: http://tinyurl.com/qzohkqt

3. download it if prompted

4. back out and go to MANAGE+SYSTEM+ADVANCED+DEVICE and STORAGE

5. click on the DOWNLOADS category, and you'll see any downloaded stuff.

6. Select JoystickTest.apk and choose to install it.

7. When its installed, it will show up under MAKE+SOFTWARE, next to the browser app. Select it to run it.

8. Move your left analog stick. (unfortunately it only tests the left one)

9. Double-click the controller system button to exit.

You can do the above with a mouse and keyboard attached, which makes the browser part a lot easier.