IGNORED

Ouya Thread

phaxda

Last night I had some solid fun with Little Crane, and Deep Dungeons of Doom.

I downloaded little crane for a controller test (because it uses about all the buttons). I didn't think it looked like fun, but it really is. it hits the same buttons as tonka cranes or radioshack armatrons--I've never played a video game anything like it.

Edited by Reaperman

Try shutting off the controller and starting it up again. They should self-center at startup, but if they're being pressed at that time you'll get a false self-center.

For anybody wanting to side-load and run the joystick test on their console...

1. go to MAKE+SOFTWARE and launch the browser app

2. using the mouse pad, enter the following URL into the location bar of the browser: http://tinyurl.com/qzohkqt

3. download it if prompted

4. back out and go to MANAGE+SYSTEM+ADVANCED+DEVICE and STORAGE

5. click on the DOWNLOADS category, and you'll see any downloaded stuff.

6. Select JoystickTest.apk and choose to install it.

7. When its installed, it will show up under MAKE+SOFTWARE, next to the browser app. Select it to run it.

8. Move your left analog stick. (unfortunately it only tests the left one)

9. Double-click the controller system button to exit.

You can do the above with a mouse and keyboard attached, which makes the browser part a lot easier.

I don't think its the controller, I believe its how the games are programed to handle the controller that's the issue, after time (after resetting the controller) it will start doing it again. Most of the times as soon as you touch the thumbstick it registers movement (touching very slightly, not hard enough to move the thumbstick). And other times its right after I move the stick it continues moving in that direction until I wiggle the stick a bit, then it will stop receiving input.

Madmax, I haven't seen that happen in any of my games. Maybe it's just that one? Otherwise it might be a bum spring.

Anybody try the tune-in radio app? It's actually pretty good, and the station keeps playing even when you exit the app and start playing a game.

I dropped by Best buy today around 3:00. They had two Ouyas on the shelf and one spare controller. I'm not sure however if they actually sold any beforehand or if that was their entire stock. I entertained the idea of getting a spare, but my old controller works well enough as it is since I modded it. I'll go into the shop tomorrow and have a look around.

hahaaaaaaaaaaaaa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMlZog7JrwY

Sorry I cant help it...cracks me up everytime I see it.

Fixed the link. Atariage doesn't support the funky new formatted youtu.be links with the media tag yet.

That Frog game ranks pretty high on the wtf factor. Funny how some Indie games you're like wtf and others, you're like brilliant!

lol....sorry thats the name of it:

"A Space Shooter for 2 bucks"

Its good although a bit hard. The PSP version doesn't look as good as this version. I bought it.

I figured it out while browsing the titles available on the main website last night. Kinda generic sounding name, don't ya think? Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Madmax, I haven't seen that happen in any of my games. Maybe it's just that one? Otherwise it might be a bum spring.

Anybody try the tune-in radio app? It's actually pretty good, and the station keeps playing even when you exit the app and start playing a game.

http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/1533/controller-deadzones-for-fw-1-3#latest

The above is what I'm talking about. A few of the games do not have anything for deadzones (meaning if the thumbstick doesn't return back to dead center it will detect it and act accordingly), if the game does deadzones then this would not be a issue at all.

Good news that it's not your controller hardware, I guess.

Its Ouya's fault for changing the controller response after developers had coded against the old one, but it seems like an easy fix so I expect we'll soon see updates for the games affected.

Ok easiest way to xfer files is to simply hook up the Ouya to a PC via micro USB and thats that. Tried a handul of emulators and they are good but not completely perfect.

I read somewhere that external drives are still not supported which sucks cause roms (especially CD images) can take up tons of space.

Oh well. At least some solid games are on there now. It would be nice though if they would separate professionally done games (like Final Fantasy) from homebrew\indie self published stuff like Amazing Frog.

I read somewhere that external drives are still not supported which sucks cause roms (especially CD images) can take up tons of space.

I think you picked up some bad info. As is, apps from the ouya store need to be on internal memory, though they can reach out to usb. From what I've heard most (all?) emulators support browsing to usb. Not that I've directly tested, because emulation isn't something I enjoy.

I do use the USB to store the 3.5gb game data from the bard's tale. 122mb app is on internal, the rest is on my usb stick. I'm fine with that setup.

Personally, if I were transferring files from pc, I'd use the usb stick and a pretty good file manager I side-loaded from the amazon store. I can't think of a single reason why I'd want to transfer a file to internal storage, but that's how I'd go about it.

Edited by Reaperman

Just played some Pinball Arcade. Tried a little Medieval Madness and UGH!!!!!! Lag lag lag. Lost so many balls due to the flippers.

Well you're certainly on the latest version of the game since you picked it up yesterday. Are other games lagging?

Roughly how bad is the lag? Are we talking 1/10 sec, 1/2 sec?

If other games aren't having trouble, could the weird 3/4 trigger pull pinball arcade requires be adding to the problem? That took me a lot of getting used to and it's still a bit annoying.

If other games have controller lag, how far are you from the system? The wireless signals seem to have trouble with these metal cases--at least that's one idea I've heard tossed about a bunch of times. Because of my goofy setup, I'm actually quite close to my system, and seem to be having a lot less general lag issues than a lot of people.

Edited by Reaperman

I think you picked up some bad info. As is, apps from the ouya store need to be on internal memory, though they can reach out to usb. From what I've heard most (all?) emulators support browsing to usb. Not that I've directly tested, because emulation isn't something I enjoy.

I do use the USB to store the 3.5gb game data from the bard's tale. 122mb app is on internal, the rest is on my usb stick. I'm fine with that setup.

Personally, if I were transferring files from pc, I'd use the usb stick and a pretty good file manager I side-loaded from the amazon store. I can't think of a single reason why I'd want to transfer a file to internal storage, but that's how I'd go about it.

I forgot the emulators do support it but how do you transfer games\apps to USB? I didnt see any options anywhere for that. Is it under settings/storage?

Best unboxing and comments :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY5yG2KyQfM

Wow, that guy is such a tool. He didn't even bother to boot it up. I for one, don't understand all the Ouya hatred being spread around. I've been having quite a bit of fun with it, just like a little joybox that hooks to a TV. Even some of the reviews recently posted appear to be reviewing the old hardware. At least one "review" copy sent out was actually a kickstarter package instead of the retail package. And I've heard some people still have not received their Kickstarter bundles yet. Sad really, and CEO Julie pinned the blame on their Hong Kong distributor. I'm not really sure what to think. I just hope Ouya succeeds against all the negative publicity.

There's a lot of so-called "hardcore" gamers that don't take Android seriously as a gaming platform. That's too bad because there are a lot of really fun, inexpensive games available on Android, many of which are extremely addicting. Gaming on my Nexus 7 has been good times. I definitely think there's a market for this kind of product, I just hope that market is larger than the people who were willing to back the kickstarter to begin with.

Also, that review is definitely a joke review. He followed it up with another video after he got a bunch of new followers and he delivered it in exactly the same tone. First he criticized the names of all of his new followers then he asked what we expected him to do. I about died when he said, "Do you want me to unbox the Ouya again?"

Well you're certainly on the latest version of the game since you picked it up yesterday. Are other games lagging?

Roughly how bad is the lag? Are we talking 1/10 sec, 1/2 sec?

If other games aren't having trouble, could the weird 3/4 trigger pull pinball arcade requires be adding to the problem? That took me a lot of getting used to and it's still a bit annoying.

If other games have controller lag, how far are you from the system? The wireless signals seem to have trouble with these metal cases--at least that's one idea I've heard tossed about a bunch of times. Because of my goofy setup, I'm actually quite close to my system, and seem to be having a lot less general lag issues than a lot of people.

I havent ried many other games so far. Just Puddle and Dub Wars. My wife however had the day off today and was playing like a mad woman....lol. She only had trouble with the Pinball arcade. As far as how close, in a bean bag chair right in front of the TV in the game room. I'll keep plugging away at it and see if anything else is a problem. All in all, we both love this little system.

I've been having quite a bit of fun with it, just like a little joybox that hooks to a TV.

Same here, for the price of a few retail games it's worth it. Been having fun this past week messing around with itand the emulators aren't too bad either.

If major consoles were like this life would be beyond great.

I've been having some fun with ravensword shadowlands. I've got to be 4-5 hours in. Maybe more. I've heard a lot of complaints about it being "unplayable" due to controller lag and framerate, but it seems to be working well enough for me. I must be playing some other game. Though I do think the frame rate is a bit low (with unusual drops during cutscenes of all things), and the controls are a bit clunky, but these kinds of games are all about the adventure.

I'm a good ways in. 'Got a horse now and this sweet crossbow for killing things. There's a little grinding at the beginning when I needed to save up for my first bow, but after that, really not so much. I needed the bow to lure enemies out of packs so I could take them one at a time. After those initial missions, the game started showering me with looted weapons.

It's a bit like morrowind, but it's better at letting me know where I need to be, and motivating me to get there by having fewer distractions. I really didn't like morrowind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM9ynCrWQ3M

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Uhhhn, by comparing it to Morrowind, you have just instantly sold me. Hmm, specs are better on Ouya so if it has trouble running it, this game may make the GameStick cry. This post may have just single-handedly made my decision as to which device I am going to buy lol