IGNORED

sio2pc, aspeqt, and an old laptop

Dripfree

Well I got sio2pc working awesome. It's set up for two different laptops one fairly modern dell and an old old toshiba. Idealy I want to take my dell out of the mix all together. Reason is I use my dell constently in the living room and I dont like moving it back and forth to the game room. Although my old toshiba does what I want it to do its far from ideal. The main reason is I have yet to get Aspeqt running on it. Now this laptop is very old its running windows 95. I have no problem running winape on it other then the fact that winape is kinda anoying. I did try to install Aspeqt on there but I get a message saying its missing a .dll file. I have not experimented any further then that. Before I open this can of worms my question is can I even run Aspeqt under win 95 or am I just gona run into another problem after I install the .dll file? Next question Id kinda like to get rid of win 95 altogether. Is there possibly some legacy version of linux that I could run Aspeqt under on a pc this old? And finaly would I be better off just giving up on the old toshiba all together? Id realy like to put it to some use and I think using it as a dedicated virtual drive for my atari would be sweet. So I thought id ask the gurus if this was possible or just a pipe dream. Thanks for your help.

I've recently run AtariSIO on Debian 6 on a 133mhz 486 class processor with 64mb of RAM (a soekris net4521-30). Debian 7 just came out and still has a 486 kernel. If you have at least a 486 in there or faster you should not have any problems. Aspeqt probably won't run reliably, but you can use AtariSIO, it's really top notch, I really don't think there are features you would be missing in AtariSIO.

http://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/

Thanks guys. Im gona give atarisio A try today I actualy havent heard of that one yet. Everyone on here seems to talk about aspeqt and win ape all the time. I do love aspeqt mainly because its much faster then win ape. I'm assuming I should be able to run atarisio under the linux mint partition on my dell here. I'm gona give it a try and if It works I'm gona goto work installing debian 6 on my toshiba. Thanks for all the good info guys.

Didn't see a mention of what you are using as the converter(s) -- serial port or USB on your Win95 machine? I've run APE for Windows on a 70 MHz laptop with Win95 (serial port) so only ran at 3X.

What do you find "annoying" about APE? A cost issue?

-Larry

Thanks guys. Im gona give atarisio A try today I actualy havent heard of that one yet. Everyone on here seems to talk about aspeqt and win ape all the time. I do love aspeqt mainly because its much faster then win ape. I'm assuming I should be able to run atarisio under the linux mint partition on my dell here. I'm gona give it a try and if It works I'm gona goto work installing debian 6 on my toshiba. Thanks for all the good info guys.

Well I got sio2pc working awesome. It's set up for two different laptops one fairly modern dell and an old old toshiba. Idealy I want to take my dell out of the mix all together. Reason is I use my dell constently in the living room and I dont like moving it back and forth to the game room. Although my old toshiba does what I want it to do its far from ideal. The main reason is I have yet to get Aspeqt running on it. Now this laptop is very old its running windows 95. I have no problem running winape on it other then the fact that winape is kinda anoying. I did try to install Aspeqt on there but I get a message saying its missing a .dll file. I have not experimented any further then that. Before I open this can of worms my question is can I even run Aspeqt under win 95 or am I just gona run into another problem after I install the .dll file? Next question Id kinda like to get rid of win 95 altogether. Is there possibly some legacy version of linux that I could run Aspeqt under on a pc this old? And finaly would I be better off just giving up on the old toshiba all together? Id realy like to put it to some use and I think using it as a dedicated virtual drive for my atari would be sweet. So I thought id ask the gurus if this was possible or just a pipe dream. Thanks for your help.

Another option for an old class machine is Hias' bootdisk version of Atarisio. Just put the files in a FAT partition and launch. I believe it has all the features of the full version of Atarisio except perhaps folders probably have to be in FAT partitions. I used to use the boot disk version on a P75 subnotebook running Windows 98SE.

Another possibility is Draco30's SIO2BSD which, in addtion to BSD, compiles for linux (where I use it) and Mac OSX (I think). Not sure how it does with really old machines but it does a nice job with ATRs. It doesn't seem to care which cable type you use. RI, CTS, or DSR for Atari COMMAND all work without the need to supply the type. Serial device can be selectedm e.g /dev/ttyS0 etc or /dev/ttyUSB0 etc, In linux SIO2BSD's default interface is /dev/ttyS0.

AFAIK, SIO2BSD's only virtual drive support is via PC-Link. I've never used this so I can't comment.

SIO2BSD's best features are, IMO, it will launch from a terminal, runs in user space, and doesn't require x11.

You can probably tell that SIO2BSD is my preferrence for Atari disk emulation. :D

Edited by a8isa1

Didn't see a mention of what you are using as the converter(s) -- serial port or USB on your Win95 machine? I've run APE for Windows on a 70 MHz laptop with Win95 (serial port) so only ran at 3X.

What do you find "annoying" about APE? A cost issue?

-Larry

I use serial for my win95 machine. This thing actually predates usb. The annoying thing about winape is that is much slower then aspeqt.... I guese this may be a symptom of it being a much older pc then my dell. It still seems slower then it should be. Also I hate the wait at the splash screen.... I Suppose that would be a cost issue. Here is a link to all the spec if anyone is wondering. http://www.cnet.com/...7-30533581.html Thanks again for all the tips I actually never knew there were so many options. I really like the idea of the boot disk. Since all I want to do with this laptop is use it as a floppy drive It would be cool to have it boot to an os that does just that and nothing else.

Edited by Dripfree

Ah, I see now -- you are using the free "trial" version of APE so you have to wait for the splash screen and you cannot use high-speed writes. I knew there had to be an explanation for "slow," since I've never ever found APE to be "slow." The difference being that I've had registered APE since the days of Win95 or 98.

-Larry

I personally do not like using a mouse to load and eject images and what not, I think it's much faster to just use a keyboard. That't why I like AtariSIO. I want to type "L" for load then "1" for disk drive one, then the first few letters of the image I'm looking for then hit Enter. Can be done in like 3 seconds. Using a mouse to select images just seems to slow to me. APE for DOS was good for this as well, I much preffered it over WinAPE.. might be a good option for your old laptop too, maybe with FreeDOS...

AtariSIO bootdisk (and all others) - http://www.horus.com...atari/atarisio/

I managed to get my old build-scripts working again (in a Debian Potato chroot :) and updated the bootdisk to the current AtariSIO version.

http://www.horus.com...disk-130623.zip

Please note that this bootdisk is intended for old (mid to end 90s) PCs. It uses Linux kernel 2.2.26 - so it can all fit on a standard 1.44MB floppy image - and this kernel doesn't know anything about SATA, USB or other fancy new stuff :)

Check out the readme (it hasn't changed in the last ~7 years, BTW), it contains instructions how you can create a bootable cd and how you can load the image directly from MSDOS (without having to boot from floppy).

so long,

Hias

I managed to get my old build-scripts working again (in a Debian Potato chroot :) and updated the bootdisk to the current AtariSIO version.

http://www.horus.com...disk-130623.zip

Please note that this bootdisk is intended for old (mid to end 90s) PCs. It uses Linux kernel 2.2.26 - so it can all fit on a standard 1.44MB floppy image - and this kernel doesn't know anything about SATA, USB or other fancy new stuff :)

Check out the readme (it hasn't changed in the last ~7 years, BTW), it contains instructions how you can create a bootable cd and how you can load the image directly from MSDOS (without having to boot from floppy).

so long,

Hias

I forgot about the bootable CD aspect. I made a random games loader once. eltorito format CD, your bootdisk AtariSIO, and a shell script I think. Didn't need a hard drive and used some old, almost forgotten, CDROM drive.

Thanks for the updated version Hias!

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1

The difference being that I've had registered APE since the days of Win95 or 98.

-Larry

I've had the registered APE since the days of XP. I **LOVE** it, and I think it's worth the money. That's NOT to say that there are not worthy alternatives, but only to say that the registered version of APE is really great. The only reason I've never tried Aspeqt or anything else is because I've never needed to. Steve Tucker is an Atari wizard, IMO.

I still intend to try Aspeqt and I do expect it to be awesome, too, when I get time.

I have Also been a registered ape user since xp.

When I updated my pc to 64bit winblowz 7 with no legacy ports I bought a generic sio2pc USB version and used aspeqt for a good 6 months. But I decided I prefer ape so bought an atarimax sio2pc USB.

Not saying aspeqt is a bad program, far from it. Maybe I have used ape too long to change? And I missed the ability to bbs etc that aspeqt is sadly missing at the moment

Just wanted to chime in as another registered APE user (for nearly a decade now). There were no other alternatives when I started using it, and I was able to preserve my entire childhood floppy collection, as well as resume BBSing. For me, that was worth the price to register.

• Like 1

As of right now none are working other the unregistered ape. I have learned that this laptop will not boot from cd without a bios upgrade. I will need to do the upgrade from a 3.5 inch floppy, which means ill have to get a floppy drive for this thing. I'm confident it will work it is however turning into a bigger project then I intended.

As of right now none are working other the unregistered ape. I have learned that this laptop will not boot from cd without a bios upgrade. I will need to do the upgrade from a 3.5 inch floppy, which means ill have to get a floppy drive for this thing. I'm confident it will work it is however turning into a bigger project then I intended.

Here's some info how to get AtariSIO running more quickly, without needing a CD or floppy:

Download this ZIP file and extract it to a directory on your Win95 PC (for example C:\ATARISIO). The ZIP file contains the content of the AtariSIO bootdisk (atarisio.img).

Then go to DOS mode: press F5 on bootup and select "save mode - command prompt only" (or whatever it's called exactly, can't remember), cd to the AtariSIO directory and run "atarisio.bat".

This loads the linux kernel and mounts your C:\ drive on "/dos". You can verify your C:\ drive was mounted correctly by entering "ls /dos".

Now enter "atariserver" and you are ready to go :)

If you run into issues, just drop me a line.

so long,

Hias