IGNORED

Metal Max 2 Demo! [Updated:07/21/2013]

Master_Programmer

Okay, small update, though I'm not posting a new version just yet.

I've added Max's "Giga" form, which you can use after you obtain 3 of the special gemstones. It makes you invincible, and harm enemies just by touching them, but it slowly drains your life until you have one life-bar left, at which point, you fall out of your Giga form, and are unable to re-enter it until you have more life than one full bar.

I've also got the beginnings of stage 4 on the way, which will be a desert/pyramid themed stage. The boss will be a character I actually used in Roleplays, rather than past attempts at a game...Mina.

She's a giant snake. So far, her attack pattern, will be that she'll dash towards you, and if she comes into contact with the player, she'll grab the player, and begin to drain life from them. From there, you have to rapidly press the fire button to escape.

I'm going to try to think of at least one more attack for her, but I have all the graphics ready for her already.

Edited by Master_Programmer

Okay, I have her programmed in((mostly. Her defeated sprite isn't made yet.))

Her attacks are, she drains your life by running into you, and after you beat her up a bit, Mina will start using Teleportation occasionally, appearing right behind you....just to make sure the battle isn't too easy. B)

She has 100 HP, and when she comes into contact with you, she can knock you out of your invincible "Giga" form.

Okay, I'm working on Stage 5 now...I'm dubbing it, for now, "Feral Fortress."

Think of Sonic 1's scrap brain zone...but with more lasers. Much more lasers. And motion-triggered turrets. And homing missiles, that can go through walls. This stage is going to frustrate, and annoy a lot of players.

Okay! Stage 5 is almost complete!

I have a boss in place...Mecha Max.

He's got 240 HP, and has an insane attack-pattern.

First, he waits a few moments, giving you an opening. He then dashes at you.

If he collides with you, he grabs the player, holding them up in the air, before throwing them into the ceiling, at which point he flies up to the ceiling.

If not, then he just goes to the edge of the screen, then flies up.

After a few moments of being off-screen, he drops down in the center of the screen, smashing into the ground, sending debris flying up around him.

I might add another move after that, where he fires large beams at you, but for now, this is all I have.

Oh, and him grabbing you before throwing you, knocks you out of your giga state.

• 3 weeks later...

Production has completely stopped. I haven't even bothered to make a fix for being unable to get past the first boss. Honestly, I'm just plain getting discouraged by a lack of really any enthusiasm, by really anybody.

I'm not looking for a ton of people to be enthusiastic about a crappy little homebrew game being developed for a *more* than out-of-date system, but when you have only one person really mentioning anything at all, it's really quite disheartening.

I might pick up the game some other time, but for now, I'm just too bummed out...and it doesn't help that i've had the most exhausting and disappointing 2 weeks of my life so far either. I really wish my family would stop including my sisters in everything, then leaving me out, making up s*** excuses that could easily be shot down with even a slight bit of logic and reasoning.

I know what you mean about the enthusiasm. No offense to the folks doing them, but sometimes it feels like people only want existing games remade for the 2600 and have little interest in an original game.

It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't put any real effort into this game. If this game was gonna be the same crap as Smash Bros. Skirmish, or some of my other games, I might not have been so hurt....but I put a *LOT* of work into this project and yet THIS one is the one nobody cares about.

EDIT:

I mean, even now, look, everyone is flocking towards my crappy smash bros game, and completely ignoring this!

Can you see why i'm so ticked off?!

As much as I will keep my word, I'm already regretting saying i'd remake that game if it gets enough attention, because I'm already seeing it booming while this one simply fades out of existence.

Edited by Master_Programmer

I understand the frustration dude (why do you think Hollywood sequels get more attention than the sometimes groundbreaking original movies that get resleased?), but ultimately you gotta do it for yourself. The praise of others should just be icing on the cake!

With that said, I plan on taking a look at this tomorrow. Regardless of what I ultimately have to say, keep at it!

Finally was able to give this one a go. I like it! Definitely an improvement over the first one. The jumping feels just a little floaty, particularly at the apex of the jump, but I played previous versions and I can tell it's been tweaked a few times. A few more tweaks, and I say you got it.

The cutscene weirdly works. I didn't think it would, but it definitely works to add a point of tension. It probably helps that you don't see it coming in an Atari 2600 game.

One more thing, I really enjoyed the level design, particularly the third stage with the flying platforms. The variety in the level design is very well paced.

Can't wait to see more!

If you're really gunning for feedback also post in the homebrew section and/or the main 2600 section. Also try different forums. TIGSource is a great forum for indie game makers. They specifically have a section for feedback.

I have to agree. I just found this today. Put it in the homebrew section at least. I saw the Smash Bros. one because I recognize the name. Just read this thread and downloaded. Will try soon.

• 3 months later...

The next 2 Levels will be as follows...

Volcanic Vault, and Sunny Sea.

The boss of Volcanic vault will most likely be Valentine, Xaim's sidekick, and the boss of Sunny Sea, is still being decided.

I'm actually somewhat considering scrapping this iteration of this game, and yet again, starting from scratch, mostly because after playing through the zippy the porcupine game, I kinda feel like this game really isn't all that great.

The next 2 Levels will be as follows...

Volcanic Vault, and Sunny Sea.

The boss of Volcanic vault will most likely be Valentine, Xaim's sidekick, and the boss of Sunny Sea, is still being decided.

I'm actually somewhat considering scrapping this iteration of this game, and yet again, starting from scratch, mostly because after playing through the zippy the porcupine game, I kinda feel like this game really isn't all that great.

If you like Zippy then do some experiments to learn what he did. Don't stop doing what you do. It's all about your own personal flavor.

If you like Zippy then do some experiments to learn what he did. Don't stop doing what you do. It's all about your own personal flavor.

That's actually somewhat my problem. When I did my own personal flavor, I made "Split Second", and we all know how 'good' that game was. >n<

I'm probably not gonna redo the whole game, as i've gotten so far with it, but still...I just don't know that it'll hold up even near as good.

Welp, you are your own harshest critic. If you feel it blows then for sure do something else. Anything you do will hone your skills so the next idea will be easier to implement.

UPDATE: I know it looks like Sprybug just whipped it out and dazzled the world but he had his share of fails and okay projects just like us. It's just a matter of keeping with it - even if it means scrapping this game and coming up with something else :)

• 1 month later...