IGNORED

Modern Day Macintosh SE Conversion

Waiting for a dvi right angle adapter to get in. Otherwise it's done. We worked for 8 hours on this today. I'm bummed its not fully done but it will be this week. When the part comes in and I can show you the fully operational computer I'll post the rest of the steps and pictures from the build.

Until then I leave you with this one image of it off. The back looks awesome, like a regular computer. But I'll post those later. Until next week:

post-22323-0-77470500-1372553243_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The day has come. It's done!

We were delayed. The first internal skeleton was poorly planned, and didn't work. This one was infinitely more complex. We had to make it fit all the cords easily, make it easily accessible, paint the blue accent strip on the outer edge of the screen to match the blue apple logo on front, mount it to the bottom of the case, sand it and stain it. It took about 7 hours to complete, and we were already very far along.

Everything works, all the ports on the back are fully functional, so the computer will never need to be opened to attach any plugs. It's a self contained computer, like any other, now. The power button was moved to the back, and the area (where the contrast knob used to be) where the power button was prior is now completely sealed up. More pics on this later.

I'll be posting youtube videos of it soon, but until then, here are some pictures of what we did, what it looks like inside, and what it looks like fully functional!

1iah.jpg

khz9.jpg

t825.jpg

nz35.jpg

zz4.JPG

Edited by DaytonaUSA
  • Like 1

looks slick (though the insides look like a spaghetti monster, who cares its on the inside)

Steve Jobs would have cared!!

I just think that's a funny comment. I read the Steve Jobs biography and there is a funny little story about how he made his engineers redo the main board of the original mac because he didn't like the way the traces on the main board looked. They fired back saying "who cares what the traces look like, no one will ever know what the traces look like. You made sure of it by using screws that the average person can't remove!" His response was "I care. I will know what they look like" When the first one was completed he had everyone involved autograph the inside of the shell and he said "your names will be on the inside of every mac. No one is going to see them but you will know they are there."

Don't take that as a shot at your work. I think you did a fantastic job and I would love to own one of those. I just really liked that story and thought it was kinda funny after reading Osgeld's comment

Thanks I think lol. Most of the cords are actually barely long enough. Only the dvi, apple power, and audio jack cords were absurdly long. Wasn't much we could do about that though.

I guess it's the difference between building a computer and building a complex shell around a computer. I honestly think its about as organized as it could ever get in there while keeping ports mounted.

At the very least everything is securely pinned down. Nothing moves an inch, even if its turned on its side. ;)

Edited by DaytonaUSA

Steve Jobs would have cared!!

I just think that's a funny comment. I read the Steve Jobs biography and there is a funny little story about how he made his engineers redo the main board of the original mac because he didn't like the way the traces on the main board looked. They fired back saying "who cares what the traces look like, no one will ever know what the traces look like. You made sure of it by using screws that the average person can't remove!" His response was "I care. I will know what they look like" When the first one was completed he had everyone involved autograph the inside of the shell and he said "your names will be on the inside of every mac. No one is going to see them but you will know they are there."

Don't take that as a shot at your work. I think you did a fantastic job and I would love to own one of those. I just really liked that story and thought it was kinda funny after reading Osgeld's comment

the second part of that story is they did what ol STEVE wanted, and there was a bunch of problems due to crosstalk and capacitance, making the memory system unstable and slower

http://www.folklore....er=Sort by Date

esthetics do not make for good electrical engineering, physics does not minic artistic vision

I suggest anyone interested in macintosh development read that entire site, its a great history and insight from the people who lived it

PS: never underestimate the power of zip ties and self stick zip tie anchors

Edited by Osgeld

that's pretty cool :) . if apple brought back the design for a vintage mac for a anniversary it would probably look like that. what kind of paint did you use for the gloss coat?

I took it and got it sprayed with auto paint. The whole project cost a pretty penny, to be honest lol. Thanks for the compliments, btw!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...