IGNORED

Atari FontMaker 1.3

matosimi

MANY thanks matosimi!!!

Oddly I just posted a thread in the programming forum asking if anyone could suggest a good bit mapper/font designer! kenjennings pointed me here. I have been using 'Envision' - which is very cool,especially the authentic A-8 interface. However I am looking forward to giving a native windows app a run too.

We really need a central thread or forum for atari utility programmes!

And after taking it for a quick spin I can confirm this is a REALLY nice little app. Just what I was looking for!

Edited by morelenmir

is there a community that makes bitmap fonts with this? I'd like to make character based games like on the Sharp MZ-700 and Mattel Aquarius but would rather use a public domain character set.

hi, i doubt it. this tool is created for atari fonts, i dont believe that anybody uses it for other platforms... but i think it can be used. I dont know how c64 or zx stores fonts, but it could be pretty similar. dunno anything about sharp or mattel... speaking about sharp reminded me old calculators and mattel reminded me massive brainwashing barbie commercials :D.

Edited by matosimi

Feature requests:

1. Keyboard shortcuts. I propose:

Ctrl+c, Ctrl+v - copy&paste of current char. For copy it could be nice to see what is stored.

1-5 - colors

[ ] - previous, next char

l, r,u, d - shift

<,> - rol, ror

2. Import font BMP - usable when there is an export button

3. more than 2 fonts editable at the same time

4. Save on quit - option or question about it

5. "interlace" mode - a nice feature of Atari is multiplication of data in DLI:

Screen Line1: LMS Memory Line1, font1

Screen Line2: LMS Memory Line1, font2

Screen Line3: LMS Memory Line2, font1

Screen Line4: LMS Memory Line2, font2

Example: with a screen memory:

ABCDEFGH

IJKLMNOP

you get on a screen:

ABCDEFGH (font1)

ABCDEFGH (font2)

IJKLMNOP (font1)

IJKLMNOP (font2)

It would be nice to have possibility to edit font graphics like that. This can be achieved "by hand" by setting interleaving lines in a view area and copy-paste all the chars (very time consuming) from the fonts area to view area. Still, it would be nice to have this option also in the font area to see interleaved fonts.

Edited by ilmenit

hi,

uff... so many feature requests.

Sorry, i wont do it all...

1. keys - that should be quite easy, i can do it

2. i dont see the point of bmp import.. u can use g2f for such thing

3. more than 2 fonts... this soft is too tailored, i would need to recode most of it to make this work.. 2 fonts are quite enough. maybe there could be some kind of switch so you could select which two of X fonts will be shown in charpicker, but i would need to add more logic to be able to handle several fonts.. save /load multifonts or just single fonts.

4. have to reconsider this...

5. i can provide line copy in view editor, but nothing more :)

M.

Now every coder develops his own graphic tool as well.

Mine is not available for the public right now, but it is a more specific tool for a special graphic mode ;)

EDIT:

It basically does this:

5. "interlace" mode - a nice feature of Atari is multiplication of data in DLI:

Screen Line1: LMS Memory Line1, font1

Screen Line2: LMS Memory Line1, font2

Screen Line3: LMS Memory Line2, font1

Screen Line4: LMS Memory Line2, font2

Edited by Creature XL

Minor suggestion for possible users without large wide screen monitors. You might want to keep your program within the a 1024X768 resolution. Currently it's over 1300 pixels wide.

[Edit] Actually I just looked at your screen capture in your first post and it's not as wide as when it's displayed on my screen. Does your program take into account the screen resolution when it sizes itself? Screen capture from my computer below.

Bob

post-18691-0-97714800-1372255210_thumb.png

Edited by bfollett

Minor suggestion for possible users without large wide screen monitors. You might want to keep your program within the a 1024X768 resolution. Currently it's over 1300 pixels wide.

[Edit] Actually I just looked at your screen capture in your first post and it's not as wide as when it's displayed on my screen. Does your program take into account the screen resolution when it sizes itself? Screen capture from my computer below.

Bob

hmm.. its weird but it looks like your win8 somehow resized application window. because there should be no black space after 2 fontsets on left side, and also there should be no whitespace around view window on right side. But those clear,load,save view buttons are right justified... and placed on right edge...

weird, window size should be fixed...

[edit] I just compared your screen with mine and i can see that all controls (except images) are resized by 25 (or so) percent. maybe you have different dpi or something, i've never seen that.

[edit]

ye, i was right... i find out how to simulate your issue...

there is option to change size of fonts and objects in windows.

when you go to change screen resolution, you can open some advanced option that allows you to switch font/object size to 100,125 and 150%. you use 125%. obviously old delphi7 app cannot handle this correctly, but im afraid i will not try to fix it.

try to switch to 100% and you will be fine.

Edited by matosimi

Now every coder develops his own graphic tool as well.

Mine is not available for the public right now, but it is a more specific tool for a special graphic mode ;)

EDIT:

It basically does this:

Ahh, we're talking 8x16 character grid, 40x12 character display, right? (Using Antic 2 or 4)

If this is what you mean, then FontMaker can already do this. You save as a double font, and switch every second char line to font 2. Use font 1 for the top half of the characters and font 2 for the bottom half. Only issue is you have to copy the same character line again on every second line.

To display this mode, you need a DLI on CHBAS, and set up the display list as such:

Line 1: Antic 2 + LMS + DLI

Line 2 and 3: SCR

Line 4: Antic 2 + LMS + DLI

Line 5 and 6: SCR

Line 7: Antic 2 + DLI

Line 8: Antic 2 + LMS + DLI

Line 9 and 10: SCR+40

Lines 7, 8, 9, and 10 are repeated down the screen, adding 40 to the screen address referenced by each LMS instruction, until you get to the end of the screen.

Edited by Synthpopalooza

hmm.. its weird but it looks like your win8 somehow resized application window. because there should be no black space after 2 fontsets on left side, and also there should be no whitespace around view window on right side. But those clear,load,save view buttons are right justified... and placed on right edge...

weird, window size should be fixed...

[edit] I just compared your screen with mine and i can see that all controls (except images) are resized by 25 (or so) percent. maybe you have different dpi or something, i've never seen that.

[edit]

ye, i was right... i find out how to simulate your issue...

there is option to change size of fonts and objects in windows.

when you go to change screen resolution, you can open some advanced option that allows you to switch font/object size to 100,125 and 150%. you use 125%. obviously old delphi7 app cannot handle this correctly, but im afraid i will not try to fix it.

try to switch to 100% and you will be fine.

Yes, I do have my font size increased The font is just too small by default. Most newer apps can cope with this. It's not a big deal with the extra white space for me. I was more concerned if anyone running a resolution of 1024X768 would see your whole screen as you designed it.

Bob

I will only add one feature request to the pile - ability to export font data as a text file with the data written as ".BYTE $xx,$xx,$xx,etc". 'EnVision PC' does this and I find it very useful. I don't know how much work that would be?

I current have a PERL script that does this from the data in the FNT file so I can then copy/paste the .BYTE lines in to my ASM source code.

Why to paste into source 128 lines of .BYTE directives (or any other number of lines) if you can put there just one line with ins "font.fnt" to do the same? IMHO it's not a good idea to make source code harder to read and scroll through with inline data. If you really need to have inline data (.byte data... lines) put them into separate file and include it into the main source (icl "otherfile.ext").

I will only add one feature request to the pile - ability to export font data as a text file with the data written as ".BYTE $xx,$xx,$xx,etc". 'EnVision PC' does this and I find it very useful. I don't know how much work that would be?

Your assembler really does not allow to include binary files?

Indeed it does. I am now hanging with the cool kids and chill down with MADS... But I am still feeling my way around assembler and at this point try hard not to use any of the advanced features so I can learn the underlying technique. I sort of feel like I am... 'cheating'... if I use for instance the 'ins <filename>' psuedo-op.

Indeed it does. I am now hanging with the cool kids and chill down with MADS... But I am still feeling my way around assembler and at this point try hard not to use any of the advanced features so I can learn the underlying technique. I sort of feel like I am... 'cheating'... if I use for instance the 'ins <filename>' psuedo-op.

omg, r u kidding me?

cheating? rly?

learn how to create procedures,macros,locals,precompiler loops and use precreated macro instructions and nested instructions that are in MADS. once you handle these, you will never go back to old-school way of coding - its just so ineffective.

(cannot imagine coding RR without these)

• Like 1

lolzor!!!

At the end of the day I guess it is all down to what you want to get from programming. I have read through the MADS manual now and the sheer technical achievement is amazing. I have nothing but ADMIRATION for the fellows who wrote that assembler. However - and this applies just to me - the reason I have been so determined to learn ASM is because of the very Spartan nature of the language. Once you start using all these - inarguably excellent - assembler-specific features you are getting very close to just writing a program in C/C++.

Its ridiculous I know, but what I enjoy about programming is not really the end result - the game or demo or whatever - but the sheer craftsmanship of using the language 'properly'. Again, JUST in my opinion I feel all these pre-processor directives and cool features take some of that away.

Ok, but then you should not use my fontmaker and take sheet of paper with gridlines, draw characters there using pen or marker and calculate respecive byte values of those characters... same as I used to do it when i was 9.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hold on there a bit matosimi! Joking aside, please don't get me wrong! I do LIKE your font editor very much indeed! Absolutely NO aspersions, criticism or disrespect intended. I am sorry if it sounded like I was saying that. I like using it and will continue to do so - just with my PERL micro-script to create .BYTE statements from the FNT's.

Maybe the easiest way to express what I mean is to say my ambition in writing assembler is to produce code that with minimal alteration would be accepted by and assembled in the 'Atari Assembler Editor' Cartridge. That is why I like ATasm so much. However, MADS is growing on me a lot because - just like I think it was rdea said some time ago - you can just use the simple parts of the assembler and ignore the more advanced pseudo-ops for now.

Edited by morelenmir

OK, I set my screen resolution down to 1024X768 and changed my font size to small(default). I then ran your program and I got a window size that was 1054 pixels wide, so part of it went off the edge of the screen. I don't know how much play you have available on the layout, but if you could chop 30 pixels off somewhere, you'd better accommodate 1024X768 users.

Bob

Edited by bfollett

You'd be surprised how much old hardware is still out there. Even Microsoft's latest OS ( Windows 8 ) still supports 1024X768. Most web pages are still designed around that size too. The program is so close to fitting that size, it seems a shame to assume everyone has their resolution higher. My old monitor only crapped out earlier this year or I would still be running at 1024X768.

Bob

Edited by bfollett