IGNORED

ANTIC the Atari 8bit Podcast is now available

ANTIC the Atari 8bit Podcast is now available for your podcast listening pleasure.

Episode one of the new ANTIC the Atari 8bit Podcast is available for download either through iTunes or from Libsyn here: http://www.AtariPodcast.com/RSS and we are on Twitter @AtariPodcast

The three of us are intending covering lots of different topics, from 8bit news to technical sections on the deep dark details.

It will be just under an hour once per month.

In episode one we introduced ourselves, then we covered the "dump dig", Curt & Marty's book, the Rapidus accel board and other news bits. Our indepth section this month was a quick history of the Atari 8bit computers. I got a bit nervous so it is a tad "jagged". I'll have it down after a couple dozen episodes. :)

Give it a listen!

S

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I have been listening to this yesterday and today! i'm new to PODCASTS, and didn't know they are downloaded so you can listen on the way to and from work, but I tested this theory on my iPad Mini yesterday..YEAH!!! I was so stoked! Today I listened to more of it....it's REALLY long, but I listened to it on the way to and from WORK. Much better than commercialized radio.

someone at work told me that i can do this from my iPhone too, but I am fearful it will actually eat my minute/data plan, which are not unlimited.

But, yeah, i'm enjoying learning a bunch about Atari 8-Bit computers, and about the original stuff. That's really cool that someone WON an ATARI computer from a BUBBLEGUM wrapper, and that they learned ENGLISH because of this.

Edited by Falconhood

Really enjoyed the Podcast, as usual!!

But it says (@ 00:55): "This podcast is dedicated to Atari 8-bit computers, a line of computers that launched in 1979 and stopped production in 1985...."

My understanding is that Atari officially dropped support of the 8-bit line on January 1, 1992, as this section of the Wikipedia article says. As the 130XE and 65XE had just debuted in 1985 and the XE Game System (arguably an Atari-8 computer) debuted in 1987, I tend to think Atari continued beyond 1985?? Just asking? Keep up the good work with the podcast, however, as it's really enjoyable!

:)

but were the post 1985 computers still 8-Bit? or 16-Bit? just asking, because I noticed that too, since i JUST read the Retro Gamer #125 article.

The Atari ST generation started in 1985,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_ST

which could be seen as the end of the 8-bit, which could still get support, but nothing more?

yeah, I'm just throwing ideas out there, I'm new to the computer side of Atari, since I never had one (I was on the Apple IIc/IIGS side of the computer world back then)

Maybe they focus on that ERA of the Atari computers, before the XE and etc.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/computers.html

Edited by Falconhood

Great podcast guys! the interview with Curt talking about the Atari book and the XM module was awesome (of course, Curt is awesome anyway!)

I had a Atari800 way back then, used to program games and other apps on it. My final game (which was my best) I used to sell via mail order. It was called Galaxy Wars. It was basically like the arcade game Space Wars where you had the two ships and the central sun on the playfield. However, what made my game different is I had orbiting planets on the screen. One planet would recharge your shield as you orbit it, the other would recharge your lasers. You also could destroy the planets (pieces would fly off and they would shrink) which affected their recharge ability. Any time you were orbiting a planet you could not shoot and you had to leave orbit within a certain time limit otherwise you would crash into the planet (this was to prevent camping out on the shield recharge planet)

I dont have any of my original Atari Computer items from back then, But I do have a original 800 in the box I picked up at a gamestore and have started a nice cart collection for. I was using a Atari 400 (that I modded with the memory upgrade board from Best Electronics, I also made a vid of the modification on my youtube channel :) ) to play the cart games.

Best Regards!

Willie!

They sold both (8 and 16-bit), from 1985 until 1992, if I understand things, correctly. It's not a big deal, but I thought it was at least worth mentioning.

I want to say we did that on purpose, but alas, it was just an oops. Like Falcon said above the last 8bit was released in '85 (for some reason I never count the XEGS either)

That said, we do leave in an occasional "oops" on purpose to see if anyone catches them. (Assuming we caught them :-) )

In that episode Kevin said 800 and meant 400 and then I turned around a few moments later and said 400 and meant 800.

But hey, "waddaya want for nuthin? A rubber biscuit?" (Bonus point for naming that song. No fair using Google)

Oh, and listen closely to the next intro.

• 3 weeks later...

But hey, "waddaya want for nuthin? A rubber biscuit?" (Bonus point for naming that song. No fair using Google)

Oh, and listen closely to the next intro.

Its a Blues Brothers song I remember that, but the name escapes me. If you throw it up against the wall and it dont bounce back, you go hungry. Bow bow bow

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...