IGNORED

ANTIC the Atari 8bit Podcast is now available

Subby

Excellent podcast. Keep making them! In your 13th episode, you say that you have not had a rating in the months!! Well this is it!! All Stars. The format is great. You cover everything that should be covered for the A8's each month. The interviews are very good. You get people that I would never have thought of, and you make them interesting.

I have an interesting Atari story. I started attending a private boys boarding high school in the fall '81. By then I'd had my 800 for well over 2 years. (see my PM to you at AtariAge for those details inset here). This school did not allow TV's in the dorm rooms. Well this was a problem since a color 13" Zenith was my computer monitor. My father worked it out with the school Headmaster, and I could use the TV as long as the channel sector knobs were removed. Easily enough I just pulled them off and suck thin in my desk draw! (I put them back on when there was a good show to watch!) I was only the second person to have computer in their dorm room in the history of that school. The other was a very smart guy, but all he had a tricked out TRS-80, 4 8" floppy drives, two Radio Shack B/W TRS-80 monitors, and some other item I do not recall. But when the other kids saw my 800 with color games, great sound, it was all over! I was able to charge kids quarter for 3 plays! SO I had a some spending cash! I had also routed the sound out of the Atari to my 100watt stereo amplifier, then to my large Klipsch speakers. You could hear Space Invaders, Galaxian, or Asteroids or any other many games I had in carts, and disk, being played over half the school! It was great fun, and I have splendid memoires of those days and my Atari 800!!

One note; there are often 2,3,4 second pauses, and it makes me think my cell phone dropped the streaming signal. And I want to check my phone, but listen while driving, not a good combination.

Keep up the good work guys!

ATARI FOREVER!

This podcast looks interesting, I'll have to check it out. Not sure if this is related at all to Antic magazine, but you should try to get an interview with J.D. Casten, who was an incredible game programmer of the Atari computers (as everyone must remember). Always wanted to hear his story, how he learned to make those great games. Hopefully he is still programming.

• 2 weeks later...

I am loving this podcast, I listened to the latest episode, including the great interview with Fernando while I biking on a beautiful mountain trail in NH yesterday. I was always a Commodore guy (had a VIC-20, C64, C128 and Amiga) but the Atari machines have really interested me lately, mostly due to this great podcast.

I do have a question: Is there a good book you could recommend as sort of a "beginners guide" to Atari? I'd just like to familiarize myself with some of the basic operations of the A800. Kevin and others always mention lots of books but most seem to be programming related and specific to a certain topic. I poked around the archive area but nothing jumped out (I also may not be looking in the right area). Any recommendations?

Edited by davidmt

I do have a question: Is there a good book you could recommend as sort of a "beginners guide" to Atari? I'd just like to familiarize myself with some of the basic operations of the A800. Kevin and others always mention lots of books but most seem to be programming related and specific to a certain topic. I poked around the archive area but nothing jumped out (I also may not be looking in the right area). Any recommendations?

Here's the book I bought back once upon a time (1981) when I got my first Atari, a 400 my brother and I had saved for a long time.

Your-Atari-Computer.pdf

There's a second edition with some changes for the XL line, but the first edition is the one I had as a kid.

Here's the book I bought back once upon a time (1981) when I got my first Atari, a 400 my brother and I had saved for a long time.

Your-Atari-Computer.pdf

There's a second edition with some changes for the XL line, but the first edition is the one I had as a kid.

Thank you very much-downloading now (although says 8 hours to complete, hope it makes it!)

I do have a question: Is there a good book you could recommend as sort of a "beginners guide" to Atari? I'd just like to familiarize myself with some of the basic operations of the A800... Any recommendations?

As mentioned by the good Doctor, the book Your Atari Computer (sometimes referred to as either the blue book or purple book (due to some cover color variations)) is my first choice. This book is one of the best I have found so far, I have three copies of it. :)

If you go back to episode #2 we discuss some of our other favorite books.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In episode 15:

Interview with Jonathan Halliday @flashjazzcat

​ Interview with Gray Chang - author of Claim Jumper and Dog Daze

Software of the Month - Aspeqt

Hardware of the Month - SIDE2

Website of the Month - Lotharek’s Lair

For a while, we're going to move interviews into their own mini-episodes - one interview per episode, at a rate of one or two a week. These will be in addition to the regular monthly shows, which won't have any interviews. In the next day or two, we'll post the first interview-only episode: Paul Laughton, who wrote Atari BASIC, the Atari filesystem software, and Apple DOS.

• Like 5

For a while, we're going to move interviews into their own mini-episodes - one interview per episode, at a rate of one or two a week. These will be in addition to the regular monthly shows, which won't have any interviews. In the next day or two, we'll post the first interview-only episode: Paul Laughton, who wrote Atari BASIC, the Atari filesystem software, and Apple DOS.

I like the idea. I tend to be more interested in the interviews to begin with. So this will make it easier getting to the content.

Edited by MrFish

@Kevin:

Thanks for mentioning WUDSN on the last epsiode! Two remarks: Is also works fine on Mac OS X and Linux (almost half of the installations are on Mac actually).

In addition there is a 2nd tutorial series that focuses on learning assembly for the Atari 8-bit with the IDE specifically.

See http://atariage.com/forums/topic/225297-programming-the-atari-xlxe/

Is it me or there's a humming noise in the past two episodes? I think it's on Randy's microphone. Otherwise, just great. I was looking forward to flashjazzcat's interview and I began listening to it today.

VERY glad to hear that Kevin finally tried Star Raiders. I'll play one over the weekend in celebration.

I liked the old format better, with the talk mixed with the interviews but I think I can get used to the multiple files.

Now turn off the nuclear reactor before you start recording!