IGNORED

Adventure II XE demo and testing

Cafeman

I've ordered the 5200 version from AtariAge and ordered a 5200 off eBay (neither of which have arrived yet, but waiting...) With the way my life usually works, that means the XE version will come out right afterward... (hint hint).

Feel free to write a review in the AA store after you've played it a bit. Unless you hate it. ;)

I left Adventure II XE alone for many months, wow where has the time gone. I was busy doing other things, and as I get older I seem to have less energy and drive than I used to. However, lately with the earlier nights and colder weather I have more free time to stay in and code away, and I assure everyone, I am very interested in finishing the game so I can move on to other projects. I will post another update after this long holiday weekend to let you know what kind of progress I've made!

• Like 3

The start of this project was actually a direct conversion from the 5200 version that I offered to do for Cafeman. But that was just the first step since he wanted to do some updates to make it different from the 5200 version.

Also, the move to A8 introduced VBI and collision timing bugs, not sure why but they seemed worse than the 5200 version. I fixed those problems for the XE version by optimizing all the VBI sprite routines, reducing them by many cycles per frame. So I wouldn't want anyone playing that original version even if it did still exist.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I think you can own and enjoy both versions.  The XE version is like a 10th Anniversary edition in a way.  An encore mode.  

There are 2 minor bugs I've not had time to address yet, but once I do, I'll be showing off the XE version more in prep for releasing it.  

The Atari 8bit computer line was released  in November 1979.  So why not celebrate the 40th anniversary with the release of Adventure II XE!   

Edited by Cafeman
Fixed the year to 1979 which is what I originally intended!
  • Like 6

18 hours ago, Cafeman said:

No, needs 48k ram.  I wonder how many still actively use the 400? 

I have a stock 16K 600XL and intend to get a 400 at some point too.  I may or may not leave the 400 stock.

Luckily I also have other Ataris with more extensive memory choices to also choose from.  :)

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 11:18 AM, Cafeman said:

The Atari 8bit computer line was released  in November 1979.  So why not celebrate the 40th anniversary with the release of Adventure II XE!   

Do I see a hint on the release date? :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:37 PM, Cafeman said:

https://atariage.com/forums/blogs/entry/16283-adventure-ii-xe-update-10-10-2019/

Still updating my blog now and then until we finally publish this game. 

There is a new use for one item / its interaction with Minotaur that I think is fun. 

Have been watching (and testing) the initial demo of this game (for A 400/800/XL/XE) with LOTS of interest, since I found it beautifully presented and rendered on-screen. Pretty well done, so far.

However, I must warn that the renderings seem to suffer from the "green castle" syndrome (a product of modern NTSC decode). In other words, the Castle, its surroundings and even the ground appear all mostly green. It seems as if hues $0E,$0F were chosen as the color-basis, instead of $01,$02.

What happens is that in modern NTSC decode, the last HUE-row of Atari's color-matrix will not be rendered peach/brownish, as it used to be during the early 80's. Instead, they will lean toward moss, green-brown. For a possible correction of this, you may consider looking at Commando+/XE which also relies on depicting similar surroundings and elements, and for such their colors are rendered realistically on NTSC.

Just my 0.02c, for what seems to be a really nice title coming down the line!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
48 minutes ago, Bill Lange said:

I renamed the .bin to .rom and put it on an Ultimate Cartridge. Running it on an Atari 130XE. Works so far. Not sure if I'll run into bank switching issues.

It looks great on the Commodore monitor!  If it boots up and loads, I don't think you'll have any bank switching issues.  Are you using one of the Atarimax formats, or the XEGS format?   

I mostly play on my XEGS console (with no keyboard hooked up) via composite into my Panasonic 42" Plasma.    Last week I dug out my 800XL and it ran, looked and sounded the same, although crappier visual image due to 800XL's RF video out VS XEGS composite.   This experience promplted me to order a 5-pin/composite cable on Amazon, received it but haven't tried it out yet.   Thanks for the pictures! 

On 11/6/2019 at 2:53 PM, Faicuai said:

However, I must warn that the renderings seem to suffer from the "green castle" syndrome (a product of modern NTSC decode). In other words, the Castle, its surroundings and even the ground appear all mostly green. It seems as if hues $0E,$0F were chosen as the color-basis, instead of $01,$02.

What happens is that in modern NTSC decode, the last HUE-row of Atari's color-matrix will not be rendered peach/brownish, as it used to be during the early 80's. Instead, they will lean toward moss, green-brown. For a possible correction of this, you may consider looking at Commando+/XE which also relies on depicting similar surroundings and elements, and for such their colors are rendered realistically on NTSC.

Just my 0.02c, for what seems to be a really nice title coming down the line!

Just to respond to this, I also did not like how Kingdom 1, the "seashore/sand" kingdom, had too green of a hue. I checked a few months ago, and sure enough it was using hues of $E4 and $E6, which looked yellow in some palettes but learn toward yellow/green. I changed the hues to $14 and $16 . It still isn't quite as yellow as I'd want but it is better.  If I brighten it too much (hues $18 or higher), it is glaring on the eyes. Thanks for the feedback.   Concerning Castle 1, it looks yellow enough to me (and uses $1x hue)  and Castle 2 is uses a Green color on purpose.  Nothing else I feel I can do to battle NTSC 'greens'.