IGNORED

Adventure II XE demo and testing

Cafeman

15 hours ago, Albert said:

Here's a look at the label for Adventure II XE, with beautiful artwork by David Exton.  :)

Adventure2XE_Cart.jpg

The artwork and the charcoal cartridge shell really complement each other!   I loved how the original 5200 version turned out with Dave G's cartoon style back in 2007, but it's also awesome to see a change for the expanded XE version!   I wondered how it would turn out, given the Atari 8bit line's much smaller carts compared to the 5200 carts.  It turned out great!  Great job Albert and David!

• Like 6

TIX, thanks for being the sole contributer of some images. It may seem like an easy addition, but it turned out to be a bad idea of mine, to try and add this to the already completed game. It was becoming too much of a hassle to get it to work and endangering the completion of the project. That and significant life change, and I decided to cancel that idea and call the game finished.    Your new key images are in the game however, thanks for those as well! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

EDIT - the minor issue reported here is now resolved. 

Could everybody who played at least one round of the demos I posted this year answer a question for me?  

When you beat a game , did you ever see the rankings screen kind of roll when it loaded up? Or when the game returns to the title screen, have you ever seen the title screen do a quick roll When it loads up?   These are the same screen in the game,  but with different info on them.  

Running my XEGS through a Radio shack multi box into a Panasonic Plasma with RCA cables  I have seen this screen roll,  and could never fix it or figure out why.  So today I plugged the XEGS into my little Vizio flat screen with same RCA cables .... and it never rolled once.  

The game code has been completed for a while, but I thought I'd try to figure it out, but now I think I was chasing a red herring. Please respond with your experience, yes it rolls sometimes or no you never saw it.  

18 hours ago, Cafeman said:

Could everybody who played at least one round of the demos I posted this year answer a question for me?  

When you beat a game , did you ever see the rankings screen kind of roll when it loaded up? Or when the game returns to the title screen, have you ever seen the title screen do a quick roll When it loads up?   These are the same screen in the game,  but with different info on them.  

Running my XEGS through a Radio shack multi box into a Panasonic Plasma with RCA cables  I have seen this screen roll,  and could never fix it or figure out why.  So today I plugged the XEGS into my little Vizio flat screen with same RCA cables .... and it never rolled once.  

The game code has been completed for a while, but I thought I'd try to figure it out, but now I think I was chasing a red herring. Please respond with your experience, yes it rolls sometimes or no you never saw it.  

Maybe just your TV trying to upscale it?  If I can find the time sometime, I could try it on my XEGS and my TV.

Edit: tested it and it didn't have any rolling screen.  Still amazed at how good the screen looks on my stock XEGS.

Edited by leech

Thanks! I don’t think a CRT would ever roll due to this code. Today I got feedback from a programmer, there was still an improvement to be made, now the screen transition looks a bit cleaner and doesn’t roll on my Panny Plasma either.  My confusion was tied to the timing of writes to the SDMCTL shadow register controlling Antic.  It isn’t immediate but is executed on the next VBI. So problem solved and game is (once again) finished. 

Wait till everyone sees the beautiful manual! 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2016 at 3:32 PM, SoundGammon said:

Is the flying bat in this game?

On 5/13/2016 at 3:42 PM, Cafeman said:

Absolutely not.

I was always curious since the 5200 release in 2007 of Adventure II what factors led to the exclusion of the bat from the game.  Not taking anything away from this amazing game.  I bough the collectors edition when it released and it is a wonderful homage to the original game.  Can you give any details on what reasons the bat wasn't included in the game?

6 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

I was always curious since the 5200 release in 2007 of Adventure II what factors led to the exclusion of the bat from the game.  Not taking anything away from this amazing game.  I bough the collectors edition when it released and it is a wonderful homage to the original game.  Can you give any details on what reasons the bat wasn't included in the game?

Thinking back, the decision was made early on to do something unique, so we had a troll thief character instead of the bat, with different AI completely. With the size of the Adventure II kingdoms, the bat seemed it would be super frustrating.   Of course there is a bat character in Adventure II, but it isn't Knubberub but is named Pipstrelle the bat.  

Plus there was the problem with Infogrames so we couldn't be too close to certain Adventure elements. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shannon said:

True story is the bat went batty.. So he was locked up.. ;)  :P

Ha, why are video game bats part of my worse nightmares?  The ones we referred to as 'wacky bats' in Pitfall 2 may have been the cause of a few broken CX40s.

Really looking forward to Adventure II XE, though I should use my 5200 for it more, as I literally bought the system for it...

On 12/6/2020 at 5:43 AM, leech said:

Ha, why are video game bats part of my worse nightmares?  The ones we referred to as 'wacky bats' in Pitfall 2 may have been the cause of a few broken CX40s.

Really looking forward to Adventure II XE, though I should use my 5200 for it more, as I literally bought the system for it...

And in Mountain King,  the bats will steal the crown off your head!

I've never had bats steal things from me in real life.   Is this a real problem?  If not, why is it in video games?  ?