IGNORED

Atari 5200 cartridge organization methods...

I'm trying to find a solution for keeping my 5200 cartridges organized. If I must... I'll make one out of wood, but I would prefer a quicker, easier method like an existing plastic holder of some kind.

What are you using to organize your 5200 games while allowing for quick and easy game selection, without picking up each cartridge to see what the label says?

Another idea would be an old 8 track cassette holder, but I'm not sure if the 5200 cartridges will fit. A standard 8 track is 3.9 inches wide and an Atari made 5200 cartridge is exactly 4 inches long... It would be close. :)

I don't know if grocery stores still use these, but I got several grape containers from the produce department back when I worked at Winn-Dixie years ago. I use them to hold several of my game collections, like the 5200, Coleco, 7800, Jaguar, N64, NES, and a couple others.

They hold 5200 carts perfectly. I stained this one dark brown, but originally it was just bare wood on the ends with thick paper covering the wood on the sides. The one for my Jaguar collection is painted black.

post-9364-0-08914000-1372012457_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

There was a guy who posted on these forums and over at Sega-16 who printed professional looking end labels for 5200, Jaguar, 32X and N64 game cartridges. Search for "end labels" on these forums or over there. I think he may no longer be making them though. They were also kinda pricey because he only sold complete sets. I seem to remember a complete Jaguar set going for over $100.

Actually, I know who you are talking about and I did indeed buy end label sets from him last Dec for N64, 32X and Jag. They look awesome and I'd love to recommend him, but when I wrote him recently after finding a misprint, he ignored me for weeks finally telling me to "keep reminding him." His labels are nice, but service is piss-poor so he's on my shitlist.

However, he didn't make any 5200 labels afaik. That's why I was hoping someone else had made a set. The 5200 carts sure need them!

I don't know if grocery stores still use these, but I got several grape containers from the produce department back when I worked at Winn-Dixie years ago. I use them to hold several of my game collections, like the 5200, Coleco, 7800, Jaguar, N64, NES, and a couple others.

They hold 5200 carts perfectly. I stained this one dark brown, but originally it was just bare wood on the ends with thick paper covering the wood on the sides. The one for my Jaguar collection is painted black.

post-9364-0-08914000-1372012457_thumb.jpg

Are you in Florida? I work for Publix and we still see pears in those crates sometimes.

The multicart is AWESOME! However, navigation within the menu screen doesn't work with the Trak-ball... so I keep my Trak-Ball games handy. I don't like to switch controllers when the unit is on.

The multicart is AWESOME! However, navigation within the menu screen doesn't work with the Trak-ball... so I keep my Trak-Ball games handy. I don't like to switch controllers when the unit is on.

You can control the menu with the Tball. You have to use the number pad. 2 is up 8 is down... and so on.

I think the usb cart is the one that can't use a Tball at the menu.

Regarding end lables, I did this a few years ago (before I sold my 5200 collection... but I have since started another one)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/136360-ahh-end-labels/?do=findComment&comment=1645072

I bought sticker paper, used the same (or very similar) font that Atari used with a wider version of the 2600 end labels, and cut them out. I like to try and make things look as authentic as possible.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

PacManPlus those look really nice! Thanks for linking. (I've searched the forums for 5200 end label info without much luck.)

If you are recollecting 5200 carts, is there any chance you'll be making more end labels and would you make an extra set for yours truly? I imagine there are many others who would buy a set as well. I like to think I'm a bit artsy, but I know I could never make labels that look professional enough for my liking.

I made my own boxes. Bought a box of 100 VCR cases, and printed out cover art I found on the web. Still have a few that I need to make covers for (prototypes/hacks and such). For the most part I do what Ninja suggested, I keep them in few an under-the-bed bins and just use the multi-cart. I have WAY too many systems and controllers, etc...to have room to display them. Someday I will...probably when the kids move out and I get one of their bedrooms to make my man-cave/arcade. :P

Some pics of them in this thread...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/203148-my-humble-collection-and-a-request/#entry2604786