IGNORED

Questions about a 5200 track ball

Serious

I just acquired my first 5200 track ball, and I have a few questions.

When using it, it bites my fingers if I get them near the edge. There is a small gap between the cover and the lower half of the ball. Is this normal?

You can see the gap towards the bottom of this photo.

null_zps7d0df3d0.jpg

Also, when rolling the ball, it is quite noisy (as if rolling the ball is generating some kind of friction). Is this normal?

The unit itself is unusual. I assumed it was a modded unit when I bought it (the seller didn't know), but after having a closer look at it, I am wondering if it may be something else?

S/N is "001045 EP 183".

null_zps0d86afc3.jpg

null_zps9c1d936d.jpg

null_zps859948c8.jpg

Definitely some kind of mod with those big yellow buttons.

I don't think those buttons were yellow, originally. The plastic on them is showing some age.

someone modded it with some arcade buttons take out the 6 screws on the bottom and oil and clean the idler bearing

Thanks for the tip on the bearing. Any suggestions on what kind of oil to use?

The trackball is pretty easy to disassemble, I'd check it out. By the way, it is a qball in there, so you can replace it if needed:

Thanks for letting me know about the cue ball. I think I will look for a more attractive replacement. I will probably disassemble it soon to clean it, anyway.

Hopefully, I'll find a way to eliminate that gap at the bottom when I take it apart. Or I guess I'll have to learn to use it in a way that it doesn't keep pinching me when I use it.

The gap could be caused by worn rollers.

If you want a replacement trakball I have several spares to sell and colors to choose from. I have white, black, gray, clear, orange/black swirl and probably a couple others I'm forgetting. If you want one they are $10 each plus shipping except the white ones are $7 each plus shipping.

Mitch

If you want a replacement trakball I have several spares to sell and colors to choose from. I have white, black, gray, clear, orange/black swirl and probably a couple others I'm forgetting. If you want one they are $10 each plus shipping except the white ones are $7 each plus shipping.

I am interested.. Can you post a photo, or point me to one?

Thanks

Perhaps the two halves of the unit shell aren't screwed down all the way, which might explain the gap that is pinching you when you use it.First thing I would do is take it apart and clean the rollers with fine steel wool, oil the bearings if need be by soaking them in some kind of multi purpose oil, Give the ball a good cleaning with soap and water. Then put it back together nice and tight. While it's apart, you may as well clean the button contacts with a pencil eraser. The start button is the most common to get real dirty.

• Like 1

Also, when rolling the ball, it is quite noisy (as if rolling the ball is generating some kind of friction). Is this normal?

Nice mod with the Arcade style buttons! The noise is the ball going "against the grain" of the rollers underneath. The brass rollers get gunk buildup and the third roller is steel and likely has some corrosion. This causes the biggest drag with that scraping sound. Have care when you take it apart for cleaning, I wrote a guide on this.

5200 Trakball Cleaning - http://www.racketboy...=726298#p726298

Edited by CRTGAMER
  • Like 1