IGNORED

Re-Started Frenzy / Berzerk :)

PacManPlus

Looks like I'm quite a bit late to this party. The game looks great Bob!

I don't usually beg, and it's probably too late to ask, but is there any way you would consider adding an option (via the menu or difficulty switches), to enable music? [Here comes the begging... Please?] The coleco version's music totally makes the game for me. The atmosphere it provides and the catchy tunes really got me hooked on the game even though I had never in my life been a fan of Berzerk. If you were to add the music option, it would really be icing on the cake making it the absolute definitive version of the game period, satisfying the cravings of all players.

Okay, I'm done begging.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 1

Hey guys!

@KevinMos3: I'm sorry, man - I started this with the intention of getting as close to the arcade version as possible, and the Coleco music isn't in the scope of what I wanted to accomplish. :( Besides, I don't have any ROM space left (and I'd like this to remain un-bankswitched). It was all used for the voice.

Here's the updated, 8-page manual.

Bob

Frenzy Manual.pdf

• Like 1

Looks like I'm quite a bit late to this party. The game looks great Bob!

I don't usually beg, and it's probably too late to ask, but is there any way you would consider adding an option (via the menu or difficulty switches), to enable music? [Here comes the begging... Please?] The coleco version's music totally makes the game for me. The atmosphere it provides and the catchy tunes really got me hooked on the game even though I had never in my life been a fan of Berzerk. If you were to add the music option, it would really be icing on the cake making it the absolute definitive version of the game period, satisfying the cravings of all players.

Okay, I'm done begging.

I agree that the ColecoVision's music makes the game. But I don't think that's what he's going for here. He's trying to recreate the arcade as closely as possible. I'm okay with the ColecoVision version remaining unique in this regard. It just means that everybody had to get a ColecoVision, as well as a 7800, and who could be against that?

Just curious, what's the resolution of the 7800 game board compared to the arcade version?

• Like 1

I had no idea the ColecoVision version had music, I need to try this out tomorrow. Even if the ColecoVision version has excellent music, given the goal was to recreate the arcade version of the game (which has been the case with all of Bob's arcade ports), it's not a big deal to me that there's no music in the 7800 version. And given the 7800's rather poor audio capabilities, I'm not sure the music would even sound that great.

..Al

I agree that the ColecoVision's music makes the game. But I don't think that's what he's going for here. He's trying to recreate the arcade as closely as possible.

Yeah, he said that in the post right above yours...

@KevinMos3: I'm sorry, man - I started this with the intention of getting as close to the arcade version as possible, and the Coleco music isn't in the scope of what I wanted to accomplish.

That's why I suggested adding it as an available option to enable rather than something that's always on. However, the part that I COMPLETELY understand is this:

Besides, I don't have any ROM space left (and I'd like this to remain un-bankswitched). It was all used for the voice.

Until those new bankswitched boards are ready, making carts for a game over 48K is a real hassle. Plus, he'd almost certainly have to use the Pokey chip to get those tunes to sound decent.

Regardless of how I feel about Berzerk/Frenzy, I still support Bob's efforts and will continue to buy whatever games he makes. He is one of those rare people where I don't have to like a particular game in order to buy it. I support his work not only because he makes a lot of great games, but also because he's a great guy. And, I'm sure the label for this cart will look great next to the rest of my "Bob" collection.

He's done a great job on this, no doubt. (Yeah, I'm saying "great" a lot here). :) I've just always hated Berzerk, yet I love the Coleco version of Frenzy because of the music. The only problem I have with that version is the same problem I have with most Coleco games -- the darn Coleco controllers.

Anyway, like I said, I completely understand the desire to avoid bankswitching so I'm not trying to push anything. Actually, I don't even know why I'm responding. :lolblue:

• Like 1

I still support Bob's efforts and will continue to buy whatever games he makes. He is one of those rare people where I don't have to like a particular game in order to buy it. I support his work not only because he makes a lot of great games, but also because he's a great guy.

:thumbsup:

Succinctly and excellently stated; I could not agree more.

• Like 2

Thanks Guys!

Here is RC1, EXCEPT: There are words that are 'place holders' until I get the new voice bin from Schmutzpuppe. This is most noticeable when you kill Crazy Otto as he is supposed to say "Charge, Attack, Shoot, Kill, Destroy". Currently I am missing the words "Charge", "Shoot", and "Destroy", so I've replaced them with other words temporarily.

Please give this a run-through, as we are getting close to the PRGE. Please let me know if you find any bugs, especially in the two-player modes.

Once I have all of the words in place, I will start taking orders for the cart only version to be released at the same time as the Boxed version in PRGE.

Please also note, that in Frenzy under certain circumstances that it is possible for you or a robot to have a shot go through a wall. This usually happens if you're shooting at an angle directly into a inner corner. This cannot be helped, and also happens in the arcade version as well:Frenzy.mpg

Thanks, guys!

Bob

Frenzy.A78

Frenzy.bin

• Like 5

Ok, did some testing of the latest A78 this evening. I noticed that there is a problem with the voice in Berzerk when you have cleared all of the robots and exit the maze. Sometimes the voice is slow and low pitched and sometimes it is fast and high pitched (to the point where it is almost incomprehensible). I didn't find any other issues, but I will need to practice to get to the point where I can play for more than a few rounds.

Anybody else found any issues?

Yep - that was a suggestion from Alan McNeil. He said that by randomizing the pitch of some of the phrases, it would sound like different robots. :)

(Berzerk does this, but it does that in-game - I can't make the robots talk in-game or the action would stop every few seconds).

Bob

Threw on my headphones as I really haven't had a chance to truly hear and concentrate on all the new goodies without distraction(s).

First, I LOVE the updates to the sounds...They're awesome.

I agree with mmervine on the highest pitched/fastest playback voice. There is one pitched slightly lower, but still pretty fast and high, which would do perfectly fine as being the 'fastest'.

It is almost impossible to make out what the current fastest/highest pitch is saying (Even with noise cancelling headphones on). You already have so much range and variety without it, I would say just drop that one, and call it a day if the overall range of pitch and pace cannot be modified without screwing things up.

Everything else looks and sounds amazing. Most importantly, it plays great. Another wonderfully polished professional product by PacManPlus...Thank you, Bob!

• Like 1

Bob, keep the game how you feel is as close to the arcade is.

Thats your thing.

I know you respect people requests, but just just do what you feel is right.

You are the expert and i think this port has come out great from what i see and hear.

Great work...........keep the box cars full of these new great 7800 ports rolling down the tracks.

If it wasnt for people like you, the 7800s uses would of derailed last century.

:)

RC2 - With finished voice! (thanks Schmutzpuppe!)

Ok, we are at the 'bugs only' stage, where I believe the game is finished, except for any bugs that might pop up. Again, please let me know if you see anything out of the ordinary, especially in the two player modes.

... I need to try this on the real thing again after all of the changes I have been making recently...

Thanks,

Bob

Frenzy.A78

Frenzy.bin

• Like 1

Bob,

Bugs:

-Two Player Cooperative Mode - Berzerk & Frenzy - As soon as Player 1 or 2 shoot, the respective shooter dies.

-Two Player Cooperative Mode - Frenzy - There are no collision deaths among players and/or enemy AI. Neither Player 1 or 2 and the enemy with whom they collided with dies. Enemy fire does kill Players. Player fire results are undetermined due to the first bug mentioned.

Both issues occur under MESS and ProSystem emulators.

Crap. Thanks Trebor - sorry about the 'obvious' bugs... I didn't try those because they worked the last time I tried them and I didn't change anything that should have affected them (or so I thought). :sad:

I'll look at them tonight when I get home.

EDIT - Just double checking something... Trebor, you do know that in Frenzy (all versions), collision with the robots does not kill the player (except for explosions), correct? It just stops both parties from moving in that direction.

Also, I think I know what the issue is with the shots...

Bob