IGNORED

Re-Started Frenzy / Berzerk :)

PacManPlus

#1 homebrew programmer of all time!

The 7800 don't have many programmers but it certainly has one awesome and dedicated programmer.. We all would throw our 7800's in a scrap bin without Bob creating these awesome games! We are all extremely lucky to have you making these games! I hope you enjoy making these games and I often wonder how you make time for all the hours you must spend coding.

Whenever I buy one of your games I feel the price is a small fraction of the cost of hours spent programming and your profit per game. I will never sell a single one EVER! Thanks again for making a too small of a group happy with what you have done.. What if Bob 1984 his own game company selling to Atari and the masses with his own library of games?? It would be like the guy who made pitfall whats his name again oh yeah...nothing like Bob the game fn mastermind who single handedly destoryed the Asian Invasion Mymoto and flushed Mario down the drain.. Think about it guys?? Full time programming for a living with a team of graphics and sound guys.. it all could have been real.

Edited by Jinks
  • Like 2

Think about it guys?? Full time programming for a living with a team of graphics and sound guys.. it all could have been real.

Why do I have a feeling it would have gone more like:

Atari Exec: Bob, we love your Pacman conversion... We'd like to set you up to write games for us.

Bob: That's incredible. I'd love to write games for a living, thanx!!!

Atari Exec: The first project we'd like you to do is Berzerk.

Bob: You know, I was thinking of that, I could do Berzerk and Frenzy..

Atari Exec: No.. no no.. First, we're in a bit of a rush, so we need the game by the end of the quarter.. That gives you 5 solid weeks to complete it..

Bob: 5 weeks? Well, I was thinking of talking to the original programmer and adding voice and..

Atari Exec: Voice? Bob, our marketing people have done some checks and music and voice aren't that important.. And music, that reminds us...

Bob: Oh good, yeah, I have some great ideas for music for a new side scroller I was thinking of..

Atari Exec: No, we mean don't bother with the fancy music.. Pokey's are just too expensive... And we really need your games to be 16k.. Memory chips are too expensive...

Bob: But I really could use some extra memory for my side scrolling game.. It's incredible.. Kids will love it...

Atari Exec: Bob, Bob, Bob.. C'mon.. Side scroller?? No one wants to play a side scrolling game. Our marketing people will decide what game you should be making... They've been doing a lot of market research and kids really like Ninjas and sports.. Can you do a Ninja Volleyball game maybe?

desiv

(Actually, now I want to play Ninja Volleyball.....)

Edited by desiv
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Soon the year will be 2014 and uncle Bob will be selling his games to Atari. Just a little 4shadowing for you guys.

Why to work with Atari when you can publish your own games? :)

Remember: Pacmanplus Games, your best choice to your Atari Prosystem.

... I got Frenzy, simply awesome. 2 players option is a great add, and with Berzerk included, another must have to your 7800.

Why do I have a feeling it would have gone more like:

Atari Exec: Bob, we love your Pacman conversion... We'd like to set you up to write games for us.

Bob: That's incredible. I'd love to write games for a living, thanx!!!

Atari Exec: The first project we'd like you to do is Berzerk.

Bob: You know, I was thinking of that, I could do Berzerk and Frenzy..

Atari Exec: No.. no no.. First, we're in a bit of a rush, so we need the game by the end of the quarter.. That gives you 5 solid weeks to complete it..

Bob: 5 weeks? Well, I was thinking of talking to the original programmer and adding voice and..

Atari Exec: Voice? Bob, our marketing people have done some checks and music and voice aren't that important.. And music, that reminds us...

Bob: Oh good, yeah, I have some great ideas for music for a new side scroller I was thinking of..

Atari Exec: No, we mean don't bother with the fancy music.. Pokey's are just too expensive... And we really need your games to be 16k.. Memory chips are too expensive...

Bob: But I really could use some extra memory for my side scrolling game.. It's incredible.. Kids will love it...

Atari Exec: Bob, Bob, Bob.. C'mon.. Side scroller?? No one wants to play a side scrolling game. Our marketing people will decide what game you should be making... They've been doing a lot of market research and kids really like Ninjas and sports.. Can you do a Ninja Volleyball game maybe?

desiv

(Actually, now I want to play Ninja Volleyball.....)

I think Ninja Volleyball should be the logical sequel to Ninja Golf. No, wait…it should be Ninja Miniature Golf!

During Charlie Sheen's public meltdown, I thought it would've been cool to have a Charlie Sheen video game hack made from Midnight Mutants. #winning! And what I'd really love to see would be a Fred Rated themed game. I feel that's really been overlooked considering how popular that character was on the West Coast and also how much the Federated Group impacted Atari Corp.

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got tired of waiting for me to finish basement so unpacked 7800 anyways and tried these new games out.

Great job. Extremely challenging. What is the objective of the robot generator room.. I wish I could grenade that big faced SOB. Kids like it as well!! And that to me means allot to share these games two player which so many games today do not incorporate that. And theres constant action. Death and end of game is not a 20 second reload and a rub in your face garbage death sequence that last for 15 seconds like the modern games that make me want to destroy my tv.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi guys...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but my NES port (of my 7800 port) of Berzerk / Frenzy is the next thing getting the mini arcade treatment (after Rainbow Brite):

This was why I couldn't post the ROM for the NES version.  It's actually licensed.

The only main difference between the two is on the NES version when playing two-player simultaneous, the first player to exit the room ends the room for both players.  (In the 7800 version, *both* players have to exit the room to move on).

• Like 14

Thanks, guys

Right now, it only exists in ROM form, as I have not posted it (because of this unit).  I don't know about carts being made, as I was told they were going to make carts of Rainbow Brite, so this one might also happen.  I know it's possible, as I have one cart of each (one I made myself, and the other was made for me).  I had to test it on real hardware to make sure there were no issues.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

That's

57 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

Hi guys!

For anyone that also has an NES, I've posted the NES version of Frenzy / Berzerk over in the Classic Gaming. 

That's such an awesome thing for you to share with the community. I absolutely love Berzerk!

• Like 1