IGNORED

7800 Joypad

Illtiger1

I was just wondering what the opinion is for the Joypad controller for the 7800. I have a worn down Pro-Line which I'm not a big fan of and was wondering if the Joypad would be a better alternative than getting a new Pro-Line.

Joypad controllers arent good . Buttons are to far apart and the d pad doesnt work well . I recommend getting a pro line modded by a member on here . And you can buy new dome contacts for the pro lines from Best Electronics .

Edited by AtariBrian

Or get a modded nes pad from goldenaxe like I did. Yurkie does the modded proline which I hear it great as well.

I have a modded NES pad and love it. I also have a Radica Space Invaders stick that I modded which is my go to classic controller for consoles with a db9 connector.

• Like 1

Joypad controllers arent good . Buttons are to far apart and the d pad doesnt work well . I recommend getting a pro line modded by a member on here . And you can buy new dome contacts for the pro lines from Best Electronics .

Agreed. Here's such a member: http://atariage.com/...rs-15-may-2013/

Yurkie does fantastic work. I received ColecoVision and 7800 system mods from him including the controllers.

The difference it makes with the ProLine controllers is night and day.

A huge improvement and much more comfortable to hold and use directions.

In my collection preference goes:

Prolines/NES from Goden Axe (depending on the game) > Goatstore JAMMA arcade stick > 2600 controller > Euro joypad.

I think the joypads are far worse than the prolines. They are completely useless in precision games like Scrapyard Dog, as they are stiff and unresponsive. That's what she said. Sorry.

I think I might like them better with the thing that is supposed to go in the middle of the d-pad, but I lost that a long time ago. That is the one and only part of my 7800 collection I have ever lost. Which probably goes to show how much I care about that joypad.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I just received the one I bought from Best Electronics today. It's much better than the proline IMO, but It is still a little awkward to use because of the placement of the buttons and the poor action of the D pad. I tried playing a few games with and without the thumb stick. The thumb stick would feel better if the D pad had some kind of clicking action to it. I find the D pad to be not very reliable with or with out the thumb stick. It works, but not that great.

I still think Atari simply should have made a CX-40 with a second fire button just below the main button. Even one on the topside or the bottom of the unit would have been cool... then include it with the 7800 instead of those prolines.

• Like 1

In my collection preference goes:

Prolines/NES from Goden Axe (depending on the game) > Goatstore JAMMA arcade stick > 2600 controller > Euro joypad.

I think the joypads are far worse than the prolines. They are completely useless in precision games like Scrapyard Dog, as they are stiff and unresponsive. That's what she said. Sorry.

I think I might like them better with the thing that is supposed to go in the middle of the d-pad, but I lost that a long time ago. That is the one and only part of my 7800 collection I have ever lost. Which probably goes to show how much I care about that joypad.

You do have to give credit to the 7800 Joypads in one regard. That little stick is pretty much the granddaddy of the thumbsticks we have on the Xbox and PS controllers today.

You do have to give credit to the 7800 Joypads in one regard. That little stick is pretty much the granddaddy of the thumbsticks we have on the Xbox and PS controllers today.

I could be wrong, but I think Sega had it first with their Joypad.

Gah! I was hoping it would be like, half that.

I just got my modded Space Invader Radica 7800 stick so I am set for a while considering the price here, but thank you for finding it Trebor.

• Like 1

Yeah...all the seller's prices are 'a bit' high looking over the rest of what they are selling. But someone may want it bad enough, so figured I'd post it.

Recently obtained a Radica SI stick mod too and it has become my default 7800 console controller. :)

Yeah...all the seller's prices are 'a bit' high looking over the rest of what they are selling. But someone may want it bad enough, so figured I'd post it.

Recently obtained a Radica SI stick mod too and it has become my default 7800 console controller. :)

Bigtime OT but does yours do ok with Xevious Trebor? It was the first game I tested when I got the stick (literally yesterday) and I got only one button mode (dual bombs/shots per press) so was worried for a sec that my controller was wired wrong, or something. But upon further two-button testing, Xevious was the only one that had issues. Which frankly puzzles the you know what out of me.