IGNORED

7800 Joypad

Illtiger1

I personally think the Sega Master System gamepad would be a better candidate for a 7800 mod. Not only is it JUST 2 fire buttons (no start, select), but it's dark grey (almost black) and would only need a custom overlay that is more 7800 oriented. I know some people think the SMS controller sucks, but I don't recall ever having an issue with it back in the day.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the thumb stick is ripe for 3D printing - anybody fancy having a go?!

Personally I'd just like it if someone 3D printed a little screw in disc to fill in the hole in the d-pad, for those that prefer to use the CX-78 Europad without the thumb stick. I've toyed with the idea of chopping the stick portion off of a thumb stick then sanding down the remaining screw in disc portion until it would fit flush with the d-pad and fill in the hole, but I never could bring myself to ruin my only thumb stick to do it.

I've tried and tried, but I just don't like playing any games with the joypad. They don't cramp my hands like the ProLines, and it's hard to say exactly what it is I don't like, but I don't play well with them. Probably just that the games weren't designed for them. They feel kind of... sloppy.

I've toyed with the idea of chopping the stick portion off of a thumb stick then sanding down the remaining screw in disc portion until it would fit flush with the d-pad and fill in the hole, but I never could bring myself to ruin my only thumb stick to do it.
Hah, I've thought about doing the same thing!

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I'd just like it if someone 3D printed a little screw in disc to fill in the hole in the d-pad, for those that prefer to use the CX-78 Europad without the thumb stick. I've toyed with the idea of chopping the stick portion off of a thumb stick then sanding down the remaining screw in disc portion until it would fit flush with the d-pad and fill in the hole, but I never could bring myself to ruin my only thumb stick to do it.

Alternately, you could grease the interior of the dpad's thumb stick attachment hole with lithium grease(so that it doesn't damage the plastic) and then fill the depression with silicone sealer. I tried a Gatorade cap as a mold using this method, and it worked great. I had no difficulty removing the cured plug(it took a couple of weeks to cure due to the depth) intact from the plastic cap.

I "splurged" the $25 or whatever it was for an EdLaddin Seagull 78 adapter for my 7800 and use a 3-button Sega Genesis controller and I'm never going back. If my wife and kids were more into retro-gaming, I'd buy a second one and a second Genny controller. It's just that much better.