IGNORED

1050 Happy Warp with LED display (v3?)

willyvmm

Thanks Re-Atari for the update and info.

The reason I used the LS133 is because I had it. When I tried to buy an LS30, I got an 7430. It works, but uses more current.

The file I attached, contains the binary file for both OS-es, Happy and 1050.

The ATR file is a disk that I had with some happy utillities. It works with the Happy OS in the zip.

Enjoy.

BR/

Guus

P.S. If anyone wants the PCB design, let me know and I'll post it.

I've used an LS139, LS74 and Ram-chip in SMD. It saved some space on the PCB.

Result is the smales Happy I know.

Happy_display_double.zip

Happy7_0.ATR

The file I attached, contains the binary file for both OS-es, Happy and 1050.

The ATR file is a disk that I had with some happy utillities. It works with the Happy OS in the zip.

Thanx Guus, I will burn your rom on an eprom and give it a try. My speeder is identical to Willy's, right up to the position of the components. I haven't traced A12 yet. I bought my speeder in '86, and after my active A8 time put it in the attic together my other A8 stuff. About 8 years ago I pulled my good old Atari back out and found the speeder's eprom had magically lost its contents (they were all '00's). I found several romdumps on a Polish website, decided to use 'warpguus.rom' (8 Kb). Works fine.

Around the same time Stefan Dorndorf investigated the differences between the various roms found on EU Happy clones, and concluded that 'warpguus.rom' is probably the most recent version, it also appears to contain the least errors.

I remember when Happy Software 7.1 was released, I had to hack it to get the Backup module to function properly with my speeder. It only took 2 bytes on side 1 to get it working (IIRC I changed a JSR <some address> to 2 NOP's). Can't remember the specifics, though, I already looked for my notes, but it seems to be gone.

re-atari

Edited by re-atari

I remember when Happy Software 7.1 was released, I had to hack it to get the Backup module to function properly with my speeder. It only took 2 bytes on side 1 to get it working (IIRC I changed a JSR <some address> to 2 NOP's). Can't remember the specifics, though, I already looked for my notes, but it seems to be gone.

re-atari

Do you still have the Happy 7.1 software in a working state?

And if so, can you please post it in some form?

BR/

Guus

Do you still have the Happy 7.1 software in a working state?

And if so, can you please post it in some form?

BR/

Guus

Sadly, I don't have any Atari floppies from back then left over. I re-used them all on the PC I bought in '88, formatted at first on 360 Kb (40 tracks DS/DD). Even though they were white label disks, I later on managed to format just about all of them succesfully on 720 Kb (80 tracks DS/DD) on a high density drive. Those were the days...

To stay on/topic: I did find all versions of the Happy software online when I got back into the Atari scene, but haven't tested if any of them actually works on this speeder. IIRC only the Happy Backup module and the infamous rom test failed, the other modules worked without a hitch.

It seems a moot point to me, but I think I can retrace the steps I took to hack the 7.1 version into a working state.

re-atari

Edited by re-atari

• 5 years later...

apols for the necrobump.

I've stumbled across this thread, having investigated my own non-working CopyCard 7 with no success.

I have the exact same board for quite a few years - and have yet to get a peep out of it - in any drive.

@willyvmm did you ever get yours working correctly? would burning the happy3 rom from page 1 of this thread be a good starting point?

Edited by Guest

I've stumbled across this thread, having investigated my own non-working CopyCard 7 with no success.

Could you email me a picture of the PCB you have? I found a few days a lot of speeder PCBs in my drawer´s far end, maybe there´s something similar. All of them working fine as a quick test shows.

@tf_hh

Jurgen, I've emailed pics as per your request.

For anyone else interested - here's pics of my non-working copy card (7?)

post-39567-0-47044600-1557232789_thumb.jpg

post-39567-0-14238700-1557232833_thumb.jpg

Brenski, can you confirm yours is a 27C128 EPROM on there (too blurry to make out) - and are you able to dump it? It would be interesting to compare whats on your ROM.

The 2nd 8KB of guus's ROM file posted in 2014 above (Happy_display_double.zip) is the 4KB Stock 1050 Revision K repeated twice, so the switch is probably just to switch the ROM for stock 1050 compatibility.

The first 8KB of code is very similar to the stock Happy firmware, but bytes modified, and the copyright text message starting at $1D7B has been replaced with additional code, I presume to support the track display mentioned...

The firmware works with Altirra's Full Drive Emulation for Happy 1050, and I've found the following observations:

• Faster stepper speed compared to original happy rev 2 ROM
  • Fast writes are enabled by default, working around the single density byte 3 corruption bug by default (yay!)
  • Happy to CHIP converter works as expected

Actually... I just compared this ROM to one I received from a direct dump from one of E474's drives, suspected as a 'Lazer' and it is byte for byte exact!

• Like 2

And for interest sake, the original happy rev 2 ROM:
0FF8-0FFB = "HCI "
1FF8-1FFB = "1984"

But since 0FF8 and 0FF9 are used for bank switching the ROM, most software methods to dump the ROM via the drive will corrupt those four bytes... as we can see in this ROM:

0FF8-0FFB = "H9I "
1FF8-1FFB = "H984"

They got the "H" from the first bank, and the "9" from the 2nd bank on their original dump before they hacked it up. The original ROM from happy has a large block of copyright text at A98-CA1, and 00's until EEF, but this block replaced with code in the CopyCard/DisplayDouble/Lazer ROM.

Brenski, can you confirm yours is a 27C128 EPROM on there (too blurry to make out) - and are you able to dump it? It would be interesting to compare whats on your ROM.

Hi

the only discernible/legible characters anywhere read:

D2764A

U5245276S

PGM @ 12/5v

[c] INTEL '83

there's nothing printed elsewhere - all other iCs are unmarked (or faded as to appear so)

and proved impossible to dump previously.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, I've been investigating this with brenski. I programmed and sent him 2 replacement EPROMs to try in his "CopyCard" board, one with stock happy Rev 2 firmware, the 2nd with the hw_V3 CRC32 27398A04 firmware posted earlier in this thread. Neither worked for him, but then learned the main problem is that with the board present the 1050 does not powerup at all. I asked him to remove ALL the IC's from his PCB, and the problem persists, unfortunately indicating there is probably a short somewhere on the board. The poor craftsmanship of the board doesn't lend much confidence.

Anyhow, I asked brenski to send me the EPROM from his board to me so I could try my hand at dumping the ROM. I was successful! CRC 7B5AC262 - which matches previous dumps I have of what is being called a "LAZER 1050", and matching the one used in the "Happy_display_double" ROM that guus posted previously in this thread (in 2014).

the "Happy v3" ROM referred to in the first post of this topic actually has a different CRC (27398A04),

I'm very curious what the differences between these two ROM's are, and if both support a multi-segment Track # display. The ROM's are very similar, only a few bytes changed/added, but both are based on the original Happy Rev 2 ROM, as the copyright text has been replaced with patched-in code.

CRC32 27398A04 : "hw_V3" posted by willyvmm in this topic demonstrates the drive in a video with an LED track # display, write protect switch, and 3 LED's to indicate density. Faster stepper rate is apparent as well.

CRC32 7B5AC262 : matches first 8KB of "happy_display_double" from guus in this topic and "WARPGUUS.ROM" found online in places like pigwa, matches the rom in E474's drive that he believes is a "LAZER", and aka "Copy Card 7.0" as named by re-atari and brenski. E474 tells me the LAZER software works with this and a real drive, but crashes the drive on the ROM test or backup option for me when I try under Altirra with Happy 1050 full drive emulation using his recently posted disk images. (here)

Cheers, N

hw_V3 CRC32 27398A04.bin

Happy_display 7B5AC262.rom

• Like 3

Hi Ryan

as per our PMs, i suppose it also makes sense to ask the same question of the wider community:

are there any clues in the dump that would clarify whether it's a "genuine laser" or a "laser clone" that the Copycard makers devised for their own board?

• 3 months later...
On 6/5/2019 at 2:36 AM, brenski said:

Hi Ryan

as per our PMs, i suppose it also makes sense to ask the same question of the wider community:

are there any clues in the dump that would clarify whether it's a "genuine laser" or a "laser clone" that the Copycard makers devised for their own board?

Its been a while since this was fresh in my brain now... But it seems that the results of my comparisons found that basically the "LAZER" , "Copy Card 7.0", and "WARPGUUS.ROM" are all really the same ROM. A Happy 1050 Rev 2, with two notable patches (that I like) - faster stepper rate, and fixed corrupted writes in ultraspeed at single density with buffering off.

The "hw_v3" ROM seems to have extra code for an LED track # display, as per earlier posts in this thread.

IIRC, these both have mangled bytes at $0FF8-0FF9 ("HC") and $1FF8-1FF9 ("19") since those two bytes control the ROM bank switching which 4K is active when accessed, meaning whomever made the patches most likely also started with a dump made using a software request from a drive, and not by directly reading the chip using a programmer.

• 3 years later...
On 6/5/2019 at 3:46 AM, Nezgar said:

Hey all, I've been investigating this with brenski. I programmed and sent him 2 replacement EPROMs to try in his "CopyCard" board, one with stock happy Rev 2 firmware, the 2nd with the hw_V3 CRC32 27398A04 firmware posted earlier in this thread. Neither worked for him, but then learned the main problem is that with the board present the 1050 does not powerup at all. I asked him to remove ALL the IC's from his PCB, and the problem persists, unfortunately indicating there is probably a short somewhere on the board. The poor craftsmanship of the board doesn't lend much confidence.

Anyhow, I asked brenski to send me the EPROM from his board to me so I could try my hand at dumping the ROM. I was successful! CRC 7B5AC262 - which matches previous dumps I have of what is being called a "LAZER 1050", and matching the one used in the "Happy_display_double" ROM that guus posted previously in this thread (in 2014).

the "Happy v3" ROM referred to in the first post of this topic actually has a different CRC (27398A04),

I'm very curious what the differences between these two ROM's are, and if both support a multi-segment Track # display. The ROM's are very similar, only a few bytes changed/added, but both are based on the original Happy Rev 2 ROM, as the copyright text has been replaced with patched-in code.

CRC32 27398A04 : "hw_V3" posted by willyvmm in this topic demonstrates the drive in a video with an LED track # display, write protect switch, and 3 LED's to indicate density. Faster stepper rate is apparent as well.

CRC32 7B5AC262 : matches first 8KB of "happy_display_double" from guus in this topic and "WARPGUUS.ROM" found online in places like pigwa, matches the rom in E474's drive that he believes is a "LAZER", and aka "Copy Card 7.0" as named by re-atari and brenski. E474 tells me the LAZER software works with this and a real drive, but crashes the drive on the ROM test or backup option for me when I try under Altirra with Happy 1050 full drive emulation using his recently posted disk images. (here)

Cheers, N

hw_V3 CRC32 27398A04.bin 8 kB · 56 downloads

Happy_display 7B5AC262.rom 8 kB · 57 downloads

I just tried the (hw_v3) 23798A04 rom, above, with my Happy 7.1 board (https://forums.atariage.com/topic/351461-happy-warp-1050-71-schematic/page/2/ ) and the drive would no longer boot.  Is the LED track # display, write protect switch, 3 LED's, and/or something else required for this ROM to work?

Thanks!

Brian

Hello reifsnyderd,

Software is not my strongsuit.

I have no idea why any Rom works or doesn't. I didn't look into that.

What I do know, is that the display is only a memory location to write to.

reading it has no value. So I think it's very unlikely that not having the display prohibits the unit from working.

You can try to ask Hias.

He made the software for the MegaSpeedy and analized a lot of Eproms in drive units.

BR/

Guus Assmann

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2023 at 2:19 PM, reifsnyderb said:

ping @guus.assmann

Any thoughts as to why the HW_v3 ROM, I posted about above, isn't working with the Happy 7.1 schematic?  Thanks!

Because this ROM is for a hacked up Copy Card hardware?  I would think there needs to be some hardware changes for the track display hack to work.

You could try making this small board for the "controller" to see how compatible your board is.   

22 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

Because this ROM is for a hacked up Copy Card hardware?  I would think there needs to be some hardware changes for the track display hack to work.

Makes sense.

22 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

You could try making this small board for the "controller" to see how compatible your board is.   

I've been investigating.  It appears I'd need to add decode logic for $4000 and $9800.  Also, the /SO pin on the 6502 would need to be supplied as an input from the controller card. 

Thanks!

Brian