IGNORED

Potential new hardware

foft

The 194 limit is because I'm using 64k for the directory cache (each entry is slightly over 300 bytes). I can increase this though I'd advise keeping fewer files per directory. The zpu is not so fast...

COM is the same as XEX. An atari executable that can be loaded from Atari DOS. XEX was created to distinguish the two on the PC, where .com is already used for PC executables. So safe to rename.

Back from holidays now, might get around to some changes this week:)

• Like 2

The 194 limit is because I'm using 64k for the directory cache (each entry is slightly over 300 bytes). I can increase this though I'd advise keeping fewer files per directory. The zpu is not so fast...

COM is the same as XEX. An atari executable that can be loaded from Atari DOS. XEX was created to distinguish the two on the PC, where .com is already used for PC executables. So safe to rename.

Hi Mark! Thanks for your explanations.
194 files is not bad at all, it is easy to split the directories which have many files. I think that having a not-overloaded CPU and core stability is much better!
Best regards, Juan

Has anyone had their MiST pass Acid 800? I get what seems to be most of the way through, and get hit with graphics/text corruption so I can no longer read anything onscreen.

Tried with XL and OS-B rom settings.

Acid 800 v1.1 passes on the MIST using an xl rom. Which core version and acid version are you using? Which test is failing? Does the memory test work (boot with option on xl rom)?

I have not read through all 20 pages yet, but on the first page, some enhancements above standard Atari 8-Bit hardware were mentioned. Like supporting higher display resolutions, more sound voices, more memory, higher cpu speeds, etc. Are we talking about adding a registers within the Antic Page to make it simulate an Antic chip running 2x and 4x its standard clock? We know Antic only used D400 to D40F, but D410 to D4FF were just duplicates of the first 16 bytes. Could easily double the number of registers to turn extra functions on and off. Same thing can be done for Pokey, duplicate the Pokey chip 4 or 8 times for more sound voices. Not sure what you can do for GTIA, but doing 2 could double the number of players / missile graphics, use the extra color registers for 16 color modes, etc.

These extra abilities are nice to have but has to default to standard Atari hardware so standard software can still run. Anything that turns on extra abilities probably be beyond the first 16 bytes (32 bytes GTIA) in the IO area pages.

I always thought about the ideal of a Antic/GTIA having mode to emulate the TIA so 2600 games can run on the 8-bit. Probably need the 2600 cartridge port. Not sure of plans to support VBXE, 7800 Maria, Covox, etc.

20140820:

COMMON:Increase max number of files (for all except AEON LITE)

CHAMELEON:Work around docking static joystick/keyboard interference

MIST:Add >8GB (up to 32GB) SD card support. NB: REQUIRES NEW FIRMWARE

Hi Mark, thanks for the new release! Some comments about the Chameleon version:

- The maximum number of files is still 194 files

- Joystick attached to the docking station now it is working well again, thanks!

Best regards, Juan

20140821:

COMMON:Fix max number of files (firmware not built properly)

COMMON:Fix pokey noise filters (toggle vs sample on 4 bit poly and 17/9 bit poly)

Hi Mark! Just installed and tested the last upgrade on the Chameleon:

- Now the directory is showing at least 501 files, and I guess it can display more… but my test directories only have that amount of files, thank you!

- Instrumentarium sound pretty cool on the Chameleon.

Thanks for the great improvements. BR! Juan

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback - appreciated. I read all the messages even if I don't reply:-)

Just found something very cool for the artifacting fans. Wiktor is using his MIST with a VGA to composite adaptor. Here is a screenshot:

mist_artifacting.jpg

I've just been wiring up a 5200. Should have it running by next week. Only issue is - analog controllers. I can connect a real one to DE1... As for the other boards, hmmmm.

• Like 3

This weekend I ported it to the mcctv (work in progress - runs well, but no keyboard yet). This board has composite video output - which means, real artifacting.

I've included a picture from the PAL core of the same program to confirm this time:-)

edit: Excuse upside down image - depends on if browser supports iPhone which way up tag!

mcctv_ntsc_artifcating.jpg

mcctv_pal_artifcating.jpg

Edited by foft
  • Like 3

This weekend I ported it to the mcctv (work in progress - runs well, but no keyboard yet). This board has composite video output - which means, real artifacting.

I really hope ARG considers adding support for a USB keyboard to the MCC-TV. The virtual KB controlled by joystick is a real pain.

I really hope ARG considers adding support for a USB keyboard to the MCC-TV. The virtual KB controlled by joystick is a real pain.

I plan to support USB keyboards, not sure how yet though! There are free usb host cores, or I could see about building on their joystick implementation.

I probably will not add the on-screen keyboard hardware.

Many games are playable with joystick+start, select, option and reset for now.

• Like 1

Well the version number is higher but to be honest I've not run the other cores. I figure the Chameleon is going to be best for C64 and the Replay is going to be best for the Amiga... If they have a better C64 core or Amiga core there is no reason for them not to release it on the MCC216 too since the hardware is very similar.

Hi Mark@NML32, by the way, how is the MCC-TV compared with the MCC-216? Is there any improvement on the C64 and Amiga cores? Mark and me were very active posters on the unofficial MCC forum until… it was closed.

I haven't had much time to play with the MCC-TV. It was shipped flashed with PAL settings and looked terrible on every monitor/TV I tried it on. I'm still waiting on the replacement NTSC version that they claim will correct the video quality.

MCC-TV stores two cores vs the MCC216's 5 core storage.

No Keyboard - use joypad to access on screen virtual keyboard (Terrible idea I don't know what they were thinking)

Two USB ports for proprietary usb joypads

No DB9 joystick ports only the two USB port

Very small footprint.

ATM I don't know if the MCC-TV's C64 or Amiga cores have improved compatibility over the MCC-216.

Currently the MCC-TV only supports C64 and Amiga cores.

Edited by NML32

Thanks Foft and NML32 for your answers.

Indeed at this time there it is not other C64 core that reaches the development level of the Chameleon’s core, and I hope Mike can finish soon his Amiga AGA core.

Sorry to hear about the PAL issue … I hope they send you another bootloader or change the unit.

… and thanks Mark for keeping improving the Pokey sound! I have been watching some Atari demos like NUMEN with very cool music, it sound great, and I enjoy also that the sound and the music style is very different from the SID music.

… and thanks Mark for keeping improving the Pokey sound! I have been watching some Atari demos like NUMEN with very cool music, it sound great, and I enjoy also that the sound and the music style is very different from the SID music.

There are a few more pokey improvements to do - the frequency dependent non-linear mixing and some remaining issues with two-tone mode (intended for cassette recording!). I've got some other things to fix though before coming back to that.

Does anyone reading this have any idea why Flight Simulator II might not work? I wasn't aware of it doing anything weird but it crashes shortly after selecting colour or mono.

5200 version is coming along nicely:

• Like 1

Are you using a disk image or cartridge ROM ?

I recalled some copy-protection on the disks and a search found it mentioned here:

If you have the disk version of Flight Simulator II, or other commercial programs with similar copy-protection schemes, they will not run on the XF551. The XF551 runs at exactly 300 RPM, while the 810 and 1050 drivers hover close to 288 RPM. Some of the newer, more sophisticated copy-protection schemes use the disk speed, which they expect to be 288, and refuse to run if it varies. It is ironic that Flight Simulator II comes in a cartridge with the XEGS, with the capability of reading FSII scenery disks. However, the newest Atari 8-bit computer, the XEGS, cannot use the newest Atari disk-drive, the XF551, to read them! I have not had any significant problems with this different disk speed, and have not heard of any other programs besides FSII refusing to run in the XF551.

So it maybe related to this?