IGNORED

Potential new hardware

foft

@foft, is it a fork from official firmware or so? will the official firmware work or we have to reflash firmware everytime we want change platform?

I have noticed there is a first step made in OSD (atari8-mode).

Anyway, brilliant work (haven't I said this yet?)!!!

And tell us please, is it hard to port to the mist in comparison to other boards?

The Man Honored for Atari Community Memorial is beeing prepared :) (or some like that)

@jhusak: Mist rbf file uploaded: http://ssh.scrameta.net/www.scrameta.net/mist/readme.txt

Edited by jhusak

Yes, 64K,128K, 320K (Compy shop - antic banking), 320K (Rambo). NB there is a bug with antic banking that needs fixing on the MIST build, but I'm installing a new disk in my PC first:-)

edit: The reason for only the 4 options is because I was restricted to 512KB SRAM on the DE1 before I wrote an SDRAM controller - and I only had two switches. Now we can add larger memory options too easily.

Edited by foft
  • Like 1

Yes, 64K,128K, 320K (Compy shop - antic banking), 320K (Rambo). NB there is a bug with antic banking that needs fixing on the MIST build, but I'm installing a new disk in my PC first:-)

and MapRAM ofcourse :)

Just tried a bit the core, I'm impressed !

Only issue I have is that when I create a folder to store xex and ATR it says "Failed" and freeze, anybody saw this ? (I'm using a mac, so maybe these damn hidden files are causing this ?)

and MapRAM ofcourse :)

Sure, good tip:) I'll add it to the mmu.

I've just been adding 576 Rambo/Compy and 1088 to the mmu. Passes the tests now:) I found all extended ram was broken when doing so, not just on mist! All fixed in next release...

• Like 3

Just tried a bit the core, I'm impressed !

Only issue I have is that when I create a folder to store xex and ATR it says "Failed" and freeze, anybody saw this ? (I'm using a mac, so maybe these damn hidden files are causing this ?)

Do you mean 'opendir failed'? It logs this if it can't read the top level directory. I'm pretty sure I put files on ok with my mac though. BTW no support for reading files from folders yet (doing porting first...)

Looks fine to me;-)

Any idea how a 4MB upgrade should work? I wired this in like 1088, but with 0x4000 always in banked ram. Not sure when I should enable self test. The way I've done it the memory tester fails... (xram021 - shows 4MB, but crashes when I hit test...)

Edited by foft

I wasn't aware any upgrade made 4MB accessible through PORTB yet. Even The SIMMius 4MB upgrade only allows 2MB of Axlon-compatible memory, presumably by overloading 1 extra bit of PORTB. I can't see having the base bank in the extended range working well with some software.

Anyway: this project continues to astound. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

Any idea how a 4MB upgrade should work?

They don't. At least every approach with a PORTB-only upgrade going beyond 1024k of extended memory I've seen so far was just crying for problems.

1024k is troublesome enough, as you loose control over basic - no big deal for assembler only programs as you can disable basic if PB4=low. A few people suggested to latch the state of the basic bit once you enable extended memory, but personally I don't like this approach at all (this is just crying for more problems).

Once you go to 2048k you loose control over the OS/RAM, and at 4096k your best bet is to have a set of hardware switches to have any control at all.

So: better don't invest too much time into this, as we all know 640k should be enough :-)

so long,

Hias

u1mb does latch portb bits when control bit is inactive, and i havent seen anything going bad doing so, have you Hias?

Ah, didn't know that U1MB was latching. BTW: which bits do you latch?

I haven't done any extensive tests so far, so I can't report any issues. I feared that latching the basic bit might be troublesome - for example if some program enables extended memory and disables basic at the same time with a single PORTB write.

Since quite a lot people are using the U1MB I'd guess you should have received bug reports if something wasn't working as expected - so I stand corrected.

OTOH latching missile command on the XEGS should be quite safe - I guess no program is using this - but I think latching the OS bit might be a no-go.

so long,

Hias

Hi,

i tried out the core on the MiST, but i have a problem with it: The system boots correctly and all the function buttons work. But when i press F9 or F10 i can't choose a file or a configuration. At the file selector screen, the message "Opening ATARIROM.BIN ok" and "Unknown file type" appears and i can't choose any file, neither the cursor buttons, nor the enter button works. But F5 for cold boot works.

I tried it with 2 keyboards (both with german layout), both works fine with the Atari ST and Amiga-cores. I also tried different SD-cards with only the core, the bin and 2 ATR-files, same result.

At the MiST i use the r220-firmware. Could that cause the problem?

Btw I've just been browsing the mist site and can't find the firmware and release notes. What is r220?

Till did send me a newer version that doesn't work with the core (faster sd card stuff), but I'm 99% sure that is not released...

Thanks for the ram help. I'll leave 4MB mode for now as an option, since there is plenty of ram! The crash was just because I hadn't defined my memory map and has a bunch of stuff scattered around sdram! So the new memory map for the 8MB sdram will probably be:

First 4MB + 64k : Atari base + 256 banks (sram for first 512k on de1)

Up to 5MB (Spare)

5-7MB: 256 8KB Cartridge banks

7MB-7.5MB: Basic, then OS ROM banks

7.5MB-8MB: ZPU firmware temp storage

Yes, cartridges coming in next version:) For cartridge I guess I'll need:

length in banks register (and with bank sel register)

bank select register for cart a

bank select register for cart b

r/w bit per bank

pick up some standard bank select writes and feed to the bank select registers.

Sure I'll need a bit more, but that will probably cover 99%...

• Like 1

The file selector is via joystick. No keyboard support.

This is a temporary file selector just to get sd mode running. There will be a better one...

Aaaah, ok, that explains it ... i haven't tested it with a joystick, now with a stick it works great :) :thumbsup:

I got the r220 from here: https://code.google.com/p/mist-board/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Fbin%2Ffirmware. The change log says "Fixed USB client issue".

Aaaah, ok, that explains it ... i haven't tested it with a joystick, now with a stick it works great :) :thumbsup:

I got the r220 from here: https://code.google.com/p/mist-board/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Fbin%2Ffirmware. The change log says "Fixed USB client issue".

That's the correct place to look for firmware binaries.

The rXXX in the name is simply the repository revision. This helps me keeping track of the different versions. The latest r229 includes some significant speedups for the atari800 floppy io and the initial rom upload.

The MIST firmware has a joystick emulation via keyboard which also works with the Atari800 core. Simply press numlock three times until only ScrollLock is lit.

The other two emulation modes are "only NumLock lit" = second joystick emulated and "NumLock and ScrollLock lit" = mouse emulation. Of course mouse emulation is only useful with machines that have a mouse like Atari ST and Amiga.

Edited by harbaum