IGNORED

The Intv Ecs club

I tried to do an extensive search on here for anything regarding ECS and didn't see that. Thanks for the link.

Cool, save me a little time and please let me know the link where the motherboard has been mapped out (or being mapped out) on the ECS. Thanks in advance for that one.

Edited by doctorclu

I tried to do an extensive search on here for anything regarding ECS and didn't see that. Thanks for the link.

Cool, save me a little time and please let me know the link where the motherboard has been mapped out (or being mapped out) on the ECS. Thanks in advance for that one.

I haven't found yet the hardware schematics, though I was sure I've seen them before. Anyway, I just realized that the article from the forum was also added to the IntelliWiki.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Nice that there is an Intv ECS Club.

I hope to be able to join the Club in the future…

Just for fun, attaching a logo and a suggestion for a Club T-Shirt. ;-)

Sj3mdKJ.png

JolwA6v.png

fpLNBj7.jpg

Intellivision ECS Commercial Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aTyvdOLBdA

Wow, very awesome t shirts. I like them, and very Retro and cool. Welcome to the club. :)

Been reading through this tread.. Try to find out info on the ecs and if there is anywhere to purchase any ecs games at a reasonably priced.. I do own mind strike,bits and bites. I know there are the few games that will be fairly expensive like WSbaseball, jetson's but any info would be great..

Oh what is this ECS club you all talk about.. lol

• Like 1

Been reading through this tread.. Try to find out info on the ecs and if there is anywhere to purchase any ecs games at a reasonably priced..

After reading through this thread, I now know why I cannot find the rarer ECS games, nor really any rare games in boxes. I can't believe the number of duplicates of rare games people on this forum have. Hoarders!

Been reading through this tread.. Try to find out info on the ecs and if there is anywhere to purchase any ecs games at a reasonably priced.. I do own mind strike,bits and bites. I know there are the few games that will be fairly expensive like WSbaseball, jetson's but any info would be great..

If you're looking for complete boxed games your best bet is eBay or possibly a trade. Prices vary, but none are typically less than $10. Sealed obviously fetches a premium. Here are some CIB, but unsealed prices you can expect to pay:

$10-25 Mr Basic

$10-25 Mindstrike

$15-40 Scooby Doo

$60-?? World Series MLB

$90-?? Jetsons

$100+ Melody Blaster

Finding any of those CIB for the lower end of those ranges (or cheaper) wouldn't be bad. If you don't care as much about box quality, you can probably find some rougher boxed versions even cheaper. Some of the Intellivision Inc versions are much rarer and can run higher than the Mattel counterparts (Mr Basic & Baseball). Others have rarer gatefold versions that can fetch a bit more. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

It just a friendly club/ spin off , from the Intellivision Brotherhood, that are fans of The Ecs/music syntheizer. That likes to talk or share or even curious about the Ecs system and games. Also just to point out . one of the Last Ecs game supposed to be in the works to be released early next year. Game Factory. Alex pace already has the boxes and manals on sale on Ebay, if he has any left. The cartridges and maybe overlays will be and upgrade from the box /manual to be release sometime early next year. Save your pennies. Number Jumble is the last one For the Ecs. that may be released sometime in the near future. Let's hope. :)

Edited by atari5200dude82
  • Like 1

I had listed a jetsons cart only on ebay for $30. Then listed for $20. Still didnt sell. I moved and had to get rid of about 80% of everything i owned so i ended up donating it to goodwill. Unfortunately my ecs got donated and now i need an ecs keyboard to mod for my ultimate intellivision flashback and there aint crap on ebay now

I managed to get a darker model ECS when I was little from a thrift store in the 90's without a power supply. We never did find a power supply for it, but now that I am older and the internet is useful I noticed that the power adapter is remarkably similar to an Odyssey 2 power supply.... and it works, I won't leave the plug in but I can now use the thing that I wished I could use as a kid.

Edited by thucom
  • Like 1

DZ-Jay and other have covered things pretty well. DZ-Jay said it best in that sharing the source code is the simplest way. However, be careful of typos, though the ECS provides highlighting to help with that.

The next best option is to use a laptop to record and playback WAV files. While not as "authentic" as recording onto actual tapes, WAV files can be stored longer and more easily shared.

It also looks like there is a WAV2BIN program available that converts WAV files to/from the actual binary format that the ECS saves/loads its BASIC in. Here are some links (these are very technical discussions):

Furthermore, it looks like there was some work on being able to convert a WAV file to/from the original source code on your laptop. I don't know if this work was completed (haven't investigated too far).

http://games.dir.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/intvprog/conversations/messages/4667

Note that the WAV2BIN program there works well with clean recordings. I actually did some work for another collector, decoding some tapes from the 80s, and they required a more complex decoder, as they had all sorts of weird problems (dropouts, other noise, etc.). I eventually got something good off of most of the tapes.

The serial format is funky. 8 data bits, parity bit and two stop bits. (I forget which parity off the top of my head.) The audio is simple FSK at 2400Hz and 4800Hz for 0 and 1, as I recall, and 300 baud. The fact they're integer multiples of each other made decoding a special headache on those older tapes.

It's also quite feasible to drive the ECS's tape in/out with a PC. I've done precisely that. It's very tricky, however, to get the volume level right when sending data to the ECS. It gives you absolutely crap for feedback.

Somewhere on my HD I have a "bin2wav" program that might be interesting for hacking purposes. It's not that complex of a thing to write, though, given the audio specs listed above.

• Like 2

post-35881-0-19248300-1419521466_thumb.j

So here's our collection of ECS games - original release games anyhow. As usual, pops did the heavy lifting, picking up the Jetsons and WSML Baseball (sealed and CIB). He must have picked up Mind Strike too - I can't find it in my purchase history. I did, however, get both of our copies of Melody Blaster. And despite sacrificing symmetry, I love that our sealed Melody Blaster is book-style (even though sealed standard boxes of this title seem to be more rare. . .). And I got our new Mr. Basic and Scooby from. . . you guessed it - wabac626 in Fullerton. Seriously - that dude is sitting on the comstock lode of MrB's and SD Maze. Rare, they are not, but for me - I love having these games new, and both of the titles that Wabac626 shipped me were 10/10 quality-wise. Our open copy of SD Maze is gatefold - which is cool, and dad picked up an open non-mattel Mr. Basic, which I think is semi rare?

More pricing data for M-crew:

1) 11/01/13 - CIB Mattel Melody Blaster, standard box - approx 5/10 condition, paid $47.51, plus $3.43. shipping. Good price, not a great copy.

2) 03/23/13 - Sealed Mr. Basic (Mattel), standard box, 10/10, paid $20.96, plus $2.08 tax, plus $5.85 shipping. Clearly must have been an auction.

3) 02/28/14 - Unopened Carton of 6ea sealed Mr. Basic, standard intellivision boxes, paid $36.99, plus $33.00 shipping. Bought from Venezuela (price per copy was $11.67!).

4) 02/17/14 - Sealed Melody Blaster, book-style box - approx 8/10 condition, paid $119.02, plus $19.44 shipping. Negotiated "Best Offer" from Italy.

5) 01/20/14 - Sealed SD Maze Chase, standard box - 10/10, paid $36.88, $3.35 sales tax, and $6.35 shipping.

6) 12/10/13 - My CIB SD Maze Chase, book-style box (7-10), is incalculable; I bought it with a Super Cobra that was missing instructions, and sealed french versions of Math Fun and Horse Racing for $120.27, plus $51.15 shipping from France (ouch!).

That's all I could find - dad must of bought the rest. . .

Which BTW pops - I'm coming over in about an hour!

post-35881-0-19248300-1419521466_thumb.jpg

I had listed a jetsons cart only on ebay for $30. Then listed for $20. Still didnt sell. I moved and had to get rid of about 80% of everything i owned so i ended up donating it to goodwill. Unfortunately my ecs got donated and now i need an ecs keyboard to mod for my ultimate intellivision flashback and there aint crap on ebay now

Lets talk, I help you out…you help me out while I try to build my Ultimate Flashback, shoot me a PM.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...
On 8/9/2013 at 11:19 PM, LidLikesIntellivision said:

Today I joined the ECS club! :-D Thank you very much, Fushek. :thumbsup:

Now I need to find some cartridge games...

Well, I think it's impossible to run these withtout the tape recorder: http://spatula-city.org/~intvlib/inty/ecsbasic.html

I know it would be tedious to write the code everytime.

And, yes, Space Patrol gets even better with the ECS. :)

Thankfully, newer versions of jzIntv support virtual ECS tapes.  Starting with this post, I created virtual tapes for my Number Cruncher and Bomb Run games.  While entering the code from that old site of mine, I see I had made a few mistakes when I typed it up more than 20 years ago.

On 7/7/2013 at 11:26 PM, Tales from the Game Room said:

I am glad to see unfinished games being completed for this add-on. I would love to see what homebrewers could do with bringing out more original games that required the ECS, the Intellivoice, or both used together...

I finally had FUBAR released in 2019, which supports but does not require ECS for 4 players and extra music channels, but by now, you probably already know that.  Dave Harley added IntelliVoice support to the prototype, but I didn't bother with it in the final release.

On 2/4/2016 at 10:08 PM, atari5200dude82 said:

Since all unreleased Mattel ecs games are done and out . Thanks to Rev and company that were involved . Game factory and number jumble are finally on cart and cib .what's ur fav ecs game now . Or what's ur favorite from the last 4 released ?

I still enjoy watching a 2-CPU demo of World Series Major League Baseball just to see/hear the best of what Mattel Electronics had to offer in 1983.  If only the ECS continued to be supported and Game Factory had been released, and my family had bought the ECS and Game Factory for Christmas that year!

Now that I have all the ECS games, including the unreleased ones, it's hard to pick a favorite.  I did reverse-engineer Melody Blaster to change all the music, which was kind of fun.  Playing the Vampire Bats game in Mr. BASIC Meets Bits & Bytes with my homing bombs program is fun for a short while.  Mind Strike is pretty cool with 2 players, but back in the day I learned you can beat either of the CPUs by playing aggressively; they have a weak defensive strategy.  I also dislike the "AI thinking" sounds; same goes for Reversi.

For actual "fun factor" among the original 6, I'd have to go with The Jetsons' Ways With Words.  Among the unreleased ones, I haven't really touched Game Factory and probably won't since I can just write actual games myself now - I've gotten the most enjoyment from The Flintstones' Keyboard Fun (Game 5).

13 hours ago, Intelligentleman said:

That Game Builder Garage looks nice, but after my experience with WarioWare: D.I.Y., I think I'll wait to see how well Nintendo supports it.  I loved WarioWare: D.I.Y. back in the day, but you could only post two games at a time, and you had to exchange Friend Codes to disseminate your games.  Then Nintendo ran monthly design contests. and after 12 months, stopped all the online support.  This was all before Nintendo released the Wii U, and almost immediately took down the WiiConnect24 server to punish their fan base for lackluster sales.