IGNORED

New 'HAMY' $24 handheld famiclone.

Well, this little beauty (link) hit dx.com today, and I found myself unable to take my wallet out fast enough for my liking. The Hamy has 76 built in games, seems to take famicom carts, A/V out, and costs $24 shipped--what's not to like? This is perfect for playing all those clone carts I picked up and had to play via adapter in my fc-mobile ii (since they won't play right on real nes hardware, only clones). I've also got more than a few legit FC carts around.

I just thought I'd drop a quick topic here in case anybody else is so inclined to take a $24 gamble. Will also post some quick impressions when it arrives (in like a month).

edit: looks like there is also another version of hamy--that example is a defective unit on ebay, and on top of it, it looks a lot worse to play. (not to mention costing more)

nmgm.jpg

• Like 1

found it. Now it looks like I've got to add an everdrive n8 to my list for some on-the-go action. (assuming the hamy proves not to be a total piece of crap)

Hell, at this point, I think I'm using this as my default xmas gift this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D-SAn6vReY

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

jeez for 24 bucks seems worth a shot.

They have a decent looking 248 in 1 plug 'n play on there for less than 20$ too.....hmmm.....I do love crappy plug and plays...

These are the level of electronics though where I worry about them spontaneously bursting into flames.

They have a decent looking 248 in 1 plug 'n play on there for less than 20$ too.....hmmm.....I do love crappy plug and plays...

These are the level of electronics though where I worry about them spontaneously bursting into flames.

Yeah, one of their plug and plays looks like a soccer ball-playstation, and IIRC if you zoom in on the game list it's got Summer Carnival '92 (and other solid games). I was pretty tempted to go for that one some time ago, but never could bring myself to do it.

I ordered myself a handful of additional FC games to test this handheld out with. Including Parodius Da, which has been on my want list for some time.

Edited by Reaperman

Yeah, one of the plug and plays looks like a soccer ball-playstation, and IIRC if you zoom in on the game list it's got Summer Carnival '92 (and other solid games). I was pretty tempted to go for that one some time ago, but never could bring myself to do it.

I ordered myself a handful of additional FC games to test this handheld out with. Including Parodius Da, which has been on my want list for some time.

That's the one. Looks like you need your own power adapter but even so it's damn cheap and that is a really good games list. Case isn't even THAT hideous.

Be interested to hear what you think of the handheld!

I went ahead and picked up one of these. I wasn't planning on it, but the free shipping option was too good to ignore. $23 well-spent (hopefully)!

I'm curious if it will work properly with Akumajo Densetsu (Japanese Castlevania III). That will be the first thing I test when I get it. :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a link to a review of an older hamy revision

Seems like that one did okay, but importantly there is a game list with the review:

• 01.CONTRA QQE
  • 02.ALADDIN III RJZ
  • 03.WORLD SOCCER KIW
  • 04.KING OF FIGHTER AGG
  • 05.TEKKEN IXM
  • 06.WWF SKD
  • 07.TETRIS II OMP
  • 08.SUPER MARIO SWQ
  • 09.ARKONOID IKM
  • 10.1942 CQS
  • 11.STAR FORCE EKA
  • 12.F1 RACE WMO
  • 13.POPEYE PXY
  • 14.GALAZA UEV
  • 15.BOMB JACK SLC
  • 16.BIRD WEEK CTU
  • 17.FIVE CHESS CUC
  • 18.STAR GATE HJN
  • 19.SPACE ET EAM
  • 20.MARIO BROS SCS
  • 21.EXERION QEE
  • 22.ROAD FIGHTER JZW
  • 23.DIG DUG I IWE
  • 24.TWIN BEE GGY
  • 25.BINARY LAND XMP
  • 26.DOOR DOOR KDI
  • 27.SPARTANX MPN
  • 28.10 YARD FIGHT WQO
  • 29.CLAY KMO
  • 30.SWING GAME QSK
  • 31.CLIMB ROPE KAQ
  • 32.SINGLE ROPE MOS
  • 33.DONKEY KONG 2 XYK
  • 34.LOAD RUNNER 2 EVQ
  • 35.FRONT LINE LCA
  • 36.ANTARCTIC TUY
  • 37.SKY DESTROYER UCF
  • 38.BALLOON FIGHT JNV
  • 39.MILLIPEDE AMM
  • 40.CIRCUS CHABLIF CSO
  • 41.GOLF EER
  • 42.CLU CLU LAND ZWK
  • 43.DESERT TANK WEA
  • 44.COMBAT GYT
  • 45.BASEBALL MPS
  • 46.URBAN CHAMPION DIO
  • 47.MACROSS PNS
  • 48.MILK NUTS QOI
  • 49.SLALOM MOC
  • 50.SPEED TANK SRE
  • 51.ELEVATOH AQW
  • 52.BRUSH ROLL OSP
  • 53.ICE CLIMBER YKU
  • 54.HOGAN ALLEY VQS
  • 55.BURGER TIME CAC
  • 56.PACMAN UYC
  • 57.ZIPPY RACE CFH
  • 58.CALCULATOR NVE
  • 59.CLAY SHOOTING MMS
  • 60.TOY STORY SOQ
  • 61.TENNIS ERI
  • 62.PIN BALL WKI
  • 63.LUNAR BALL EAG
  • 64.MONKEY YIX
  • 65.SQOON PSK
  • 66.POOYAN IOM
  • 67.JOUST NWS
  • 68.DUCK HUNT OIK
  • 69.GYRODINE OCQ
  • 70.EXCITE BIKE REK
  • 71.FORMATION Z QWM
  • 72.PAINTER SPX
  • 73.MAPPY KUF
  • 74.BOMBER MAN QSL
  • 75.MAGIC JEWELRY ACT
  • 76.DEVIL WORLD YCU

No really amazing titles that I noticed. Tekken, KoF(?), and aladdin III are the notable pirate originals I see. I guess Stargate and twinbee aren't frequently in these kind of lists either. In my mind I was hoping that summer carnival would be in the list, but whatever. Still a pretty good collection--not just 5 lousy games copied a million times.

Edited by Reaperman

Yeah, I couldn't resist. Have one coming my way too. I already have the Game Axe, Game Theory Admiral and another typical famiclone portable. Not to mention the SuperJoy III. Hopefully this will be my go-to machine for my Famicom carts.

As a side I also bought the rip off of the AtGames gopher clone with wireless joystick. We'll see how THAT works too..

...so, I notice that Duck Hunt is in that list. On a system with no controller port.

edit: hogan's alley too.

A. It's actually

. They don't give a fug.

B. It's actually Duck Hunt. They don't give a fug.

I've also noticed that extra 3 letter jumble on the game menu for the SuperJoy III. Not sure who that was supposed to fool.

Hey Reaperman, did you get yours yet? I know Deal Extreme is usually really, really slow (I haven't gotten mine yet), so I am just curious. I'm guessing it probably won't be for another week or two for me.

I've actually been tracking mine (tracking # from DX can be stuck into usps when it's in country) and it *should* be delivered today. But since it's registered, and since I won't be there, I'll probably be picking it up tomorrow.

ie Aladdin III = Magic Carpet, and TEKKEN is actually Karateka

That would mean I don't get burgertime...sigh... I do have one of the better tekken games that's been making the rounds lately and had figured that was what was included. I've only seen that one in smaller collections so it makes sense that I was wrong on that:

Edited by Reaperman

So, mine arrived defective, but I took a few photos anyway. powers on to a red screen (both tv and video out) no sound either.

First impressions are that it is actually as small as I had hoped, and solidly built with a good overall feel in the hand. The cartridge flap is the weak point of the design, not fitting as well as the rest and appearing a bit flimsy. The cart slot is tight, not leaving much room for wiggle (it's so tight, I'd be careful with labels). I doubt there is enough play for freezes to be common.

D-pad is individual buttons--they are not joined together behind the face. A&B button placement is opposite of FC mobile II's setup but since I can't play games, I'm not too sure how I feel about that. The buttons are *tiny* which may cause issues, and have a bit longer throw than I'd like (though I can't tell where it registers for sure).

Unlike the FC Mobile II, Hamy's battery cover is fantastic. Slips off easily, locks in place firmly, no play at all. Oddly it takes AAA's, which I didn't even think to check.

jjda.jpg 86cd.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2