IGNORED

Super Mario Brothers Special?

I believe this is a real game, kind of a limited release intended only for Japan. I'm thinking this is either a pirate or a repro, since it was never intended to be released on the US NES.

No. As mentioned, it's an unofficial hack based on the official PC-88 and Sharp X1 game, Super Mario Bros. Special. The only official limited release of SMB in Japan for Famicom was

for Famicom Disk System. Edited by BrianC
  • Like 2

No. As mentioned, it's an unofficial hack based on the official PC-88 and Sharp X1 game, Super Mario Bros. Special. The only official limited release of SMB in Japan for Famicom was

for Famicom Disk System.

You're right. I got the two confused. Thanks.

It almost looks like PC-88 games were redefining text characters to look like sprites and graphics: just with more colors than the PC had. That would explain also why their games scrolled with so much choppy choppy.

So what is PC-88? I don't really know anything about computers (in comparison to most around here), but I can conceptualize the text to sprite trick. Sounds as though it might have been a good way to get things done with a machine that was weak in the graphics department. So if that is the case then this game is kind of cool as a programmig excercise. That being said, I'll stick with my NES. :)

NEC was more successful in Japan as a PC company. The PC-88 was a CP/M machine that had nice cozy relationships with other Japanese software companies including Nintendo, Square, Konami, etc.. In Japan, corporations were more like bros first and a competitors second (at least at that time).