IGNORED

This is how it should of been from the very beginning...

I argue the original GB was the worst fail, took as many batteries as my boom box (though smaller) of the day, and had a crappy cream n spinach screen that looked awful in any light and blurred each and every pixel ... like playing mario on a T1000

the only thing the football GBA was missing was a backlight IMO, otherwise the SP had the same screen, just with a frontlight which puked out the colors, and a form factor meaning my 9 year old niece at the time complained it was too small to hold ... and it was dropped frequently

I hate the GBA SP layout, loved the original GBA layout.

The only thing fail about the original GBA is that it has no screen light, the first Gen SP was a fail as well, front facing light washed all the colors out, the backliggt SP's screen was so much better but my God the layout sucked.

• Like 1

Just use a gameboy advance sp model AGS-101. It's the best gameboy screen on the whole gb - gbc - gba series. Backlit and has great detail and contrast.

Thanks for posting that, I had no idea the difference between the models was so significant. Now I'm going to want to get an AGS-101, definitely.

Thanks for posting that, I had no idea the difference between the models was so significant. Now I'm going to want to get an AGS-101, definitely.

Look for a black screen. On pictures you can tell if the screen is grey it's the frontlit version, if it's black it's a backlit version.

GBA-SP was a smart evolution in making the system even more portable than before. Controls were squeezed together to tightly which annoyed me but I am very glad they retained that folding design for the DS and 3DS, both of which have been vastly superior systems. Every time Nintendo refreshes their handheld, they improve it IMO...not just in specs but form factor, weight, etc. I am a huge retro gamer but I honestly believe handheld Nintendo gaming has never been as good as it is right now with the 3DS.

I really did like the original GBA design though but the lack of proper lighting on the screen was just about a deal breaker. I never did own very many GBA games and I suspect that back light was a major contributor to my poor GBA library.

I much prefer the layout and buttons on the original GBA. I installed the Afterburner kit in mine about 10 years ago and I prefer using that model for action games like Metroid. The clicky buttons of the later models cramp up my fingers a lot faster. I do like the portability of the clamshells, though. The D-pads in all models suck much ass, in my opinion. I don't know why they don't use a larger NES or SuperNES-style D-pad. Especially for the XL models of the DS. Talk about unnecessary thumb cramps.

• Like 1

I baby the hell outta my SP, but not only is the hinge weak but the plastic is very easily scratched.

In my perfect world, the best GB system would be the GBA with one of the latest-release SP screens. Somebody had a hack of this on youtube, but until that mod is easily done I won't bother. The feel of the GBA controls are awesome...just enough squish factor, rather than the cello-tape thin clicky SP pad. The micro has an even better controller, but the screen is really just too tiny and it doesn't play my fave GB colour game of all time, Mario Golf.

I've considered getting the GB colour just to play that one game, but with no real colour nor backlit screen, it would quite literally be a one trick pony.

I'm another one that loves the backlit SP model.

The original GBA was a total fail.

Ya. I bought an original GBA recently because I want to avoid devices with proprietary batteries. I completely forgot that it was not backlit. Completely unusable.

The original Game Boy Advances aren't completely useless.

I think the form factor is the best from the GBA line, battery life is long, and it uses standard batteries. So I bought one to use with the GameCube link cable as a controller for GB/GBC/GBA games. No button mapping issues here since it's an actual Game Boy Advance so everything is ideally laid out for every game unlike the GameCube button layout that even on something like the nice Hori digital gamepad is less than perfect for some games. And with the cartridge port on the top, the GBA to GCN link cable sticks out just like a normal controller cable would unlike on a more cramped SP with the cartridge port at the bottom.

And it's the black model of the original GBA so it even matches my GameCube and Game Boy Player. :)

801381b.jpg

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

And with the cartridge port on the top, the GBA to GCN link cable sticks out just like a normal controller cable would unlike on a more cramped SP with the cartridge port at the bottom.

I was just looking at my setup and realized that it actually plugs into the link port of the GBA instead of the cartridge port. That's also at the top on SP models so that's not an advantage (I don't think anyone likes the controller cable coming out from the bottom of a controller like on the Dreamcast).

Edited by Atariboy