IGNORED

This is how it should of been from the very beginning...

WOW so much hate for the game boy classic. I agree with every fail mentioned in this thread, but it was 1989 when that thing came out. I think we may be asking a little much to say it should have had a back lit gba screen back then. Yea it ate up batteries like crazy but that was easily solved by hanging that awesome battery pack from your belt. I also had no problem with it not being back lit cuz I had the light boy with a magnifying glass. You could hardly even notice it sticking up about 4 inches above the game boy screen, plus it only used 2 more double a batteries! I could pack all that into my briefcase sized game boy carrying case and I had a sweet little portable gameing setup. Yea yea that was all mostly sarcasm but seriously it was 1989 what did you expect. Other gaming systems that had the features that are being mentioned (game gear) still sucked cuz the tech just wasn't there yet. That classic game boy was my first gaming machine. I loved it pea soup screen and all. I now own nearly every nintendo handheld (excluding game and watch, gba micro, and I haven't upgraded to the 3ds xl yet). Just 2 weeks ago I decided to play through metroid 2 again. I had to do it on the GB classic..... That was just pure nostalgia but why hate so much I still think it was great for its time and there were so many great games!

I'll toss out there that there wasn't a viable way to play Game Boy games until the Super Game Boy came out for the SNES. In terms of the handhelds though, the GBA SP was the first moment where a Game Boy portable was actually unreservedly worth owning.

I do recall one orginal Game Boy model which had a somewhat legible screen. I think it was the Game Boy Pocket.

I think Japan got a model with a lit screen. If I had to play an original Game Boy handheld, I'd try to track one of those down.

Any handheld without a light is useless as a handheld in my eyes. I don't even think I'd care for a frontlit SP since it appears to be much dimmer than even a regular DS. I've been spoiled by the backlit SP, DS Lite, and subsequent models from Nintendo.

I played Game Boy games on a Super Game Boy (And later on GBC/GBA games on the Game Boy Player) exclusively for over a decade until buying a Nintendo DS, my first Nintendo handheld, back in 2005. Must be fairly unusual to have an entire collection of handheld games but not a handheld for many years but that reflects just how little I thought of their screen technology.

Edited by Atariboy

WOW so much hate for the game boy classic. I agree with every fail mentioned in this thread, but it was 1989 when that thing came out. I think we may be asking a little much to say it should have had a back lit gba screen back then. Yea it ate up batteries like crazy but that was easily solved by hanging that awesome battery pack from your belt. I also had no problem with it not being back lit cuz I had the light boy with a magnifying glass. You could hardly even notice it sticking up about 4 inches above the game boy screen, plus it only used 2 more double a batteries! I could pack all that into my briefcase sized game boy carrying case and I had a sweet little portable gameing setup. Yea yea that was all mostly sarcasm but seriously it was 1989 what did you expect. Other gaming systems that had the features that are being mentioned (game gear) still sucked cuz the tech just wasn't there yet. That classic game boy was my first gaming machine. I loved it pea soup screen and all. I now own nearly every nintendo handheld (excluding game and watch, gba micro, and I haven't upgraded to the 3ds xl yet). Just 2 weeks ago I decided to play through metroid 2 again. I had to do it on the GB classic..... That was just pure nostalgia but why hate so much I still think it was great for its time and there were so many great games!

Didn't like the screen back then either. That's why i bought the gamegear instead.

I loved the idea of portable gaming as a kid, Tiger LCDs were always in one of my pockets for restaurant waits or long drives. The Game Boy seemed like a Dream come true, changable cart, and real screen not just LCD shadows. When my friend got the original Game Boy however (and this wasn't sour grapes talking) I was happier with my Tiger LCDs. She had Tetris, Super Mario Land, Nemesis and Operation C. Teris was playable. The other 3, once the game started moving everything was a fuzzy mess. Playing SML I'd have to keep stopping so I could see what was coming, Operation C, good luck dodging bullets when it's a small fuzzy blur passing in front of a blurring background... same goes for Nemesis...

I always believed the the Game Gear had to be better cause it was lit, in color, and by Sega. Never got a Game Gear till much later and was surprised that it too was pretty blurry when things started moving alot and I would have been very let down as kid after spending hundreds of dollars on it...

I don't think handheld gaming was really that good until the GBA... but then I've honestly NEVER seen a Game Boy Color, so I can't comment on it's quality!

i loved the old GB. it didnt matter that the screen trailed like a sonuvabitch or that i had to play DIRECTLY under a light to see it.

Super Mario Land was awesome, and Metroid II is STILL one of the best Metroid--hell, HANDHELD--games I've ever played.

my interest in handheld games died a horrible death the day i got my SNES and my SGB. the GB sat on a shelf, barely touched. even the mighty Game Gear, which was amazing in its own right, got barely used... which explains why my original GG's screen still looks pretty damn good.

oddly enough, I bought a PSP with the sole purpose of modding it to play retro handheld games.

These spoiled bastard kids dont know how good they have it. the DS and the Vita are a friggin' joke IMHO.