IGNORED

Jaguar HSC Revamped, SEASON 5, ROUND 8

Jaguar HSC Revamped, SEASON 5, ROUND 8

(Round Over)

post-19213-0-53269800-1372662252_thumb.png

RULES AND DIRECTIONS:
Set Credits to 1 and set Difficulty to 10 then pick Arcade mode and select Sauron as your character. Play until you lose and post your score. (One Credit Only)

If you are not familiar with the Jaguar HSC general rules and how the scoring system works, please visit this thread here:
http://www.atariage....son-5-schedule/. It is recommended that you take a photo of your score, but it is not required. We go on good faith here, so please be honest.. icon_smile.gif

Primal Rage SCORES:
  • JagChris - 592,501(+9)
  • Isgoed - 535,508(+6)
  • Hyper_Eye - 178,300(+3)
  • twoquickcapri - 122,501(+1)
  • masematte - 60,201(+1)
  • jblenkle - 28,100(+1)

The Current Jaguar HSC Rankings:
  • twoquickcapri - (40 pts)
  • Stan - (28 pts)
  • masematte - (16 pts)
  • Darrin9999 - (15 pts)
  • jblenkle - (14 pts)
  • RJ - (13 pts)
  • Isgoed - (13 pts)
  • JagChris - (9 pts)
  • roadrunner - (8 pts)
  • Punisher5.0 - (6 pts)
  • Hyper_Eye - (3 pts)
  • atariLBC - (1 pts)
  • LinkoVitch - (1 pts)

Edited by twoquickcapri
  • Like 1

I'll go first. I'm happy to have a reason to give this game some attention. I hope to develop a better grasp of the controls. Tonight I did much better in my final attempt than I did in my first simply because I switched the controller scheme to six button, learned some of the moves, and performed some combos.

My final score tonight was 102,000. That should be easily defeated.

post-2962-0-41747600-1372747552_thumb.jpg

I agree completely. Except for the dreadful loading it is by far the best fighting game on the Jaguar and a great game overall. That doesn't stop me from feeling very frustrated! Watching some videos online I can see that the key to this game is clearly combos. I'm not very good at combos and I believe that is probably why I feel frustrated. Here are some things that I did to improve my score.

1) Learn at least 1 fatality that you can perform fairly reliably. Performing a fatality is worth 50,000 points so you would likely come close to your current 77k in the first round. One of the most surprising things to me was when I input a fatality correctly the first time and the game went to a loading screen. Don't worry this is normal. The game actually loads the fatalities when they are used!

2) When facing Armadon try to land "Leaping Bone Bash" (hold 2+3; D,U,D). If you land it wait until he starts to get up and perform it again so that you have completed the button presses right as he gets up. You will be able to repeat this until he loses the round. This is the easiest way to beat him and he is pretty tough otherwise. If you can start this before he hits you then you will get "Total Domination" and an extra 20,000 points for that round.

3) Learn at least "Stun Roar" (1+3; Away,Toward), "Air Throw" (2+3 while in the air close to/above opponent), and Neck Throw (2+4; Toward,Away). That will provide you with a ranged special, close special, and an in-air maneuver that turns an opponents jump into a great opportunity.

4) Leaping Bone Bash is the most damaging special but it is almost always blocked. It is the perfect choice if an enemy is stunned.

I learned all of the special moves from this guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/jaguarcd/916022-primal-rage/faqs/757

I think learning combos can really bring out the big scores. Watching videos on Youtube I see people using combos to shred huge amounts of hit points and get "Quick Kills" which are worth 20,000 points. I definitely intend to mess with combos and see where that gets me.

My final score tonight was 178,300.

That's a nice sheet. I'll have to print that out. The other guide is good to look at for the combo list though (quite extensive.) It also covers pretty much all the intricacies of the game. It's surprising how much is hidden under the surface of it.

That's a nice sheet. I'll have to print that out. The other guide is good to look at for the combo list though (quite extensive.) It also covers pretty much all the intricacies of the game. It's surprising how much is hidden under the surface of it.

Oh yeah I see that. Whoo! They put a lot of work into the game. I wonder how much of all that 'under the surface' stuff actually made it to the home ports?

From looking at the guide the only thing that didn't really make it to the home ports was the combo names that appear on screen. Otherwise it seems they were very consistent across all of the platforms and preserved the moves as implemented on the arcade. An arcade port done right!

I played the Genesis version last night and they are very different. The menus, character sizes, and especially the graphics which are far superior on Jag. The Jag version is actually based on the 3DO port and is superior to the Genesis port in every way barring loading times.

Thats interesting. I did compare the Genesis/Jaguar/3DO version on YT at one time. If I remember correctly the Jags versions characters are 3/4 the size of the 3DO version. Where did you learn the Jag port was based on the 3DO version?

Edited by JagChris

That information is in the Wikipedia article. If you watch Youtube videos you can see that it is likely true. It has the same cinematics, menus, graphics, etc.

Jaguar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w0IUtPoE0M

3DO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwnUicJTPeY

Genesis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-38n5Vtc4U8

I remember something about the 3DO and Jaguar version were the only two home versions that had tug of war.

I am almost positive looking at that right now that Diablo on the 3DO version is larger than Sauron on the Jag. Well maybe not. Saurons on both versions seem to be the same size and it appears the 3do version loads faster.

Edited by JagChris

The PSX version is awesome!

After looking at these videos its apparent that in comparison to the PSX/Saturn version that Probe did a half ass job on both the 3DO and Jaguar versions. Both of them have far more in common with the Genesis version than either the PSX or Saturn version. Leaving me to guess they are both probably based on the Genesis code/design.

I have been trying to find Nigel Little on the net for a while now to interview him but have had no luck locating him.

Still working on beating your score Hyper Eye. I'll get there. ;)

I have watched videos and been playing PR. It looks to me like they ported the game from the Genesis to the Jag and spruced it up a bit. The menus etc. Characters slightly larger and more variety(Diablo). Then ported it to the 3DO and spruced it up more. Added shadows(Jaguar and Genesis have no shadow) and some graphics enhancements.

IMHO of course. ;)

I think I found NIgel Little. Lazy )*(*&8

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/nigel-little/1/990/a1a