IGNORED

And you thought the ps2 was dead

Yet it isn't coming for the Wii U. They cite poor sales of FIFA 13 on the U as to why they aren't releasing FIFA 14 on the U. However, they crippled 13 for the U by removing features. Do you think that may be why people didn't buy it?

So Japan gets a Final Fantasy game and we get a crappy soccer game?

Actually it's not a new FF game, it's an expansion pack for FF XI online (are they not releasing that in the US? I'd be pissed if I still played as I played it on my PS2).

I'm not honestly sure what business a profit-driven company like EA has releasing any PS2 game at this point. True, there's a PS2 in nearly every other living room in North America, but very few stores have shelf space for PS2 games anymore. Where am I going to be able to find this game if I wanted to buy it?

very few stores have shelf space for PS2 games anymore. Where am I going to be able to find this game if I wanted to buy it?

I agree; while a few big stores have some remaindered PS 2 titles tucked away in a bottom corner of the display cabinet, it is very unlikely that they will be anxious to add a new sports game to those that already sit unsold.

Were the previous FIFA titles big sellers on the PS 2? Soccer seems to be the one sports genre that is not widely represented in the thrift shops' game sections.

I'm not honestly sure what business a profit-driven company like EA has releasing any PS2 game at this point. True, there's a PS2 in nearly every other living room in North America, but very few stores have shelf space for PS2 games anymore. Where am I going to be able to find this game if I wanted to buy it?

Odds are you'll most likely find it online with most retailers. Easy enough for them to keep a few boxes of the game in a central warehouse for shipping.

• Like 1

They wouldn't do it unless they felt they could make money. They can probably move 50k copies, and they're not spending a lot on development. They wouldn't do it unless their analysis said it was a good idea. Remember that FIFA is a huge worldwide franchise, so there are probably more active ps2s out there than you might expect... just not in the US.

All Sony ever said was that they were ceasing shipping new PS2's to Japanese retailers so there's no official word here that this is the finale for official PS2 publishing.

While I think there's a good chance this is the end, the last several dozen games have been said to be the last PS2 release at classic gaming forums. Some people must have a pretty good sized collection just by picking up the games from the last several years just because it's said to be the last.

I'll believe the upcoming FIFA release is the end when a full year goes by afterwards with nothing else having been released.

Edited by Atariboy

In response to the thread title, I never thought the PS2 was dead. I don't think it ever will be.

Especially if you have the following:

--PS2 "Fatty" with Network Adapter.

--IDE hard drive or, with appropriate IDE/SATA adapter (or modified Network Adapter), standard laptop drive or Solid State Drive.

--Codebreaker Version 8 or above.

--Compatible USB flash drive.

--Free McBoot and Open PS2 Loader.

--Winhiip (on the PC) for game installation.