IGNORED

IDE card tentative commitment page

marc.hull

Most likely not as the only way you can get that header is in a surface mount variety. I actually bought the XT-IDE card for my.... well XT from the same people and putting that header on was a nightmare and I probably couldn't do it again (or would I want to.) Remember the object to this project is to get rid of the SM parts so that the cards are easier to build and eventually repair.

This is what I was referring to....

http://rover.ebay.co...=item3f1d7080d4

Now that is a slick little device! I agree re: the SMT parts. Heaven forbid you blow a buffer chip on the current IDE card :(

Now that is a slick little device! I agree re: the SMT parts. Heaven forbid you blow a buffer chip on the current IDE card :(

You could get one of these and not have to worry about the 'reach around' problem. ;)

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FStarTech-com-3-5in-Drive-Bay-IDE-to-Single-CF-SSD-%2F230874490442%3Fpt%3DUS_USB_Flash_Drives%26hash%3Ditem35c131264a

Gazoo

A mounting adapter like this makes a good argument for the headers on the card,especially with the various tools Michael, Fred, and others have written to transfer data between the TI and PC. Digging into my tower case would certainly be an ugly affair. Hmmm... yes, most definitely not a fun exercise.

PS Gazoo, is it almost time for an IDE LOAD/SYS? :)

• Like 1

A mounting adapter like this makes a good argument for the headers on the card,especially with the various tools Michael, Fred, and others have written to transfer data between the TI and PC. Digging into my tower case would certainly be an ugly affair. Hmmm... yes, most definitely not a fun exercise.

The IDE LOAD/SYS is the easy part. Use the SCSI/SYS source and change the CRU to the IDE address, and change the SCS text to IDE (cosmetic changes only). Hey, I'll bet anyone with the source could do that! ;)

The eprom is the hard part at this time as I no longer have an eprommer, but I've already got the changes to that stored between my ears. :)

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo

Thank goodness for a through hole design. What other changes have been made to the this version? Will I still have to solder wires/connector for 5 volts to power my CF adapter?

Yes but there will be take off's right by the connector. Unless you have an idea (and since I imagine you have more experience than anyone, I hope you do ;-)...

• Like 1

I was part of the orginal IDE card buy, and I will be more then happy to support the group again. Count me in for 3, either assembled, or as a kit. I really wish the original was thruogh-hole. But thanks to James I was able to "exchange" my unbuit units I had for an assembled one, that was tested and working. Granted I haven't been able to put it to real use, but I am here to support the group and willing to throw some money at a good project.

Emory Lehman

I'm good for 2 and probably parts too will solder myself .. who are you using for boards? I used http://www.futurlec....CBService.shtml for the hdx they were the cheapest price

James uses the PCBexpress layout software and that pretty much locks you into that company. They do a good job of it and are competitive.

Yes but there will be take off's right by the connector. Unless you have an idea (and since I imagine you have more experience than anyone, I hope you do ;-)...

I guess a +5 pad with a through hole gauged for wire size would serve just fine and would be cheaper than adding a fancy connector. ;)

The original card was a thing of beauty but I can barely see those SMT bypass capacitors anymore no less solder them. BTW, if it wouldn't raise the price very much I would recommend heavier gauge on the traces and wider ground buss. If you ever had to do much repair on the original you would know that it's easy for those new to soldering to overheat the traces and lift them off the smt board.

Do you know if the memory/clock chip choices will remain the same? My preference is the BQ4852YMC-85 or the RTC6527.

Perish the thought. My mini tower hasn't been opened since the cat pushed it off the desk and broke the video connector on the Geneve before the cable pulled out.

IDE LOAD/SYS is a nice excuse for a run of IDE controller cards. ;)

I guess a +5 pad with a through hole gauged for wire size would serve just fine and would be cheaper than adding a fancy connector. ;)

The original card was a thing of beauty but I can barely see those SMT bypass capacitors anymore no less solder them. BTW, if it wouldn't raise the price very much I would recommend heavier gauge on the traces and wider ground buss. If you ever had to do much repair on the original you would know that it's easy for those new to soldering to overheat the traces and lift them off the smt board.

Do you know if the memory/clock chip choices will remain the same? My preference is the BQ4852YMC-85 or the RTC6527.

Hey Rich...

The on board CF connectors all seem to be surface mount which is what we are trying to get away from. Not many who can do it as you know all too well.

The readily available clock seems to be the bq4847

Any advise on that choice as it was picked for being readily available and relatively cheap.

Making the traces wider would cost no extra and will most likely be done as a by product of being through hole.

• Like 1

Making the traces wider would cost no extra and will most likely be done as a by product of being through hole.

True, I suggest the ground buss that surrounds the card should be at least twice as wide as the trace circuitry. Maybe it already is? I bring it up because this was a mistake made on the WHT SCSI controller boards.

I think critical mass has been reached. James is working hard (or hardly working can't remember which ;-)....)

This weekend I'll try to get the rest of the parts sourced (James all ready has some of them from the first stab at this.) If anyone has some input on this then fire away.

If there is a European out there willing to act as a central hub then I'd like to hear from you as well. You must be willing to take on the role of receiving a main shipment and doling it out as required. The point would be to minimize the shipping across the Atlantic. It may also be wise to have this person collect the funds and then pay for the European boards in one fell swoop, I don't know and would welcome feedback.

Actual costs should be calculated and posted sometime next week. This is obviously subject to change depending on how the project develops.