IGNORED

Problems with modern gaming

I want to talk about all the problems with these 3 consoles and the games for them. I don't feel like I have enough variety with the upcoming generation. I might buy a PS4, the Wii U is already out of date and it's too gimmicky. Xbox One, well you know all the used game BS. PS4 is the one console that is decent. I wish I could pick from 2 or 3 awesome consoles like we always have. Instead, we have a VCR, a 3 year olds toy and a mediocre console. Don't get me wrong, PS4 has lots of potential but what games will we get? A bunch of FPS that are all the same? When we finally get an awesome game for 60 $ don't forget the required DLC updates. That's another 10 - 20$. So you spend 80$ on a game and who do you have in the servers? A bunch of 10-12 year old spoiled brats yelling at you.

The Xbox one reversed the used game policy and the 24h check-ins. at this point, it's basically a PS4 with a mandatory camera....If you are interested in the XboxOne, wait....poor sales may drive MS to remove it.

The Wii U (for me) just feels gimmicky, My brother has one and I honestly don't see the appeal. It's been out quite a while and there still isn't any good titles for it.

The PS4, hasn't sold me either, usually I wait and see what games come out and read reviews but it's no contest this time.

I'm content with what I have now, maybe next year I'll consider buying.

I want to talk about all the problems with these 3 consoles and the games for them. I don't feel like I have enough variety with the upcoming generation. I might buy a PS4, the Wii U is already out of date and it's too gimmicky. Xbox One, well you know all the used game BS. PS4 is the one console that is decent. I wish I could pick from 2 or 3 awesome consoles like we always have. Instead, we have a VCR, a 3 year olds toy and a mediocre console. Don't get me wrong, PS4 has lots of potential but what games will we get? A bunch of FPS that are all the same? When we finally get an awesome game for 60 $ don't forget the required DLC updates. That's another 10 - 20$. So you spend 80$ on a game and who do you have in the servers? A bunch of 10-12 year old spoiled brats yelling at you.

- The Wii U is obviously not as powerful as the competition, but I would hardly consider it out of date.

- Can you elaborate on exactly what makes the Wii U "gimmicky?" I own one (I didn't own a Wii) and find nothing about it to be gimmicky.

- Xbox One reversed their used game position.

- You don't know that the PS4 is the only decent console. It isn't out yet.

- I'll give you that the Xbox One looks sort of like an old electronic.

- I am 24 and own a Wii U. I am currently playing Mass Effect 3 and RE: Revelations, both M-rated games. Hardly a child's toy.

- We don't know all the games we will get for PS4 because it hasn't come out yet.

- Stop buying DLC (this goes for everyone) and they will stop relying on it.

- Mute other people

I know I've done my share of complaining and ranting, but seriously.

• Like 2

- The Wii U excludes: cloud storage, USB 3.0, Blu-Ray, DVD, Game DVR, Cross Game chat, Voice commands, live streaming, and more.

- The Wii U is gimmicky because it includes a screen rather than being powerful.

- Good.

- True, but it defiantly will be the best out of the 3. It could suck or it could be mind blowing.

- Haha, agreed.

- Kids play M-Rated games, parents don't care anymore.

- True, but a bunch will defiantly be FPS. Same Shit Different Disc.

- I want to stop buying DLC but everyone else buys it. That makes it impossible to play online 3 months later. I can't play WWE' 13 because DLC versions are different.

- I tend to leave my mic off unless I'm in party chat.

• Like 1

- The Wii U is obviously not as powerful as the competition, but I would hardly consider it out of date.

Not until the PS4 and Xbox One come out.

- Can you elaborate on exactly what makes the Wii U "gimmicky?" I own one (I didn't own a Wii) and find nothing about it to be gimmicky.

Right now it's the touchscreen gamepad that makes the Wii U "gimmicky" as it's not being used to its full potential.

- Xbox One reversed their used game position.

Now they just need to reverse their position on the Kinect being an integrated part of the system.

- You don't know that the PS4 is the only decent console. It isn't out yet.

True.

- I'll give you that the Xbox One looks sort of like an old electronic.

Don't understand this part.

- I am 24 and own a Wii U. I am currently playing Mass Effect 3 and RE: Revelations, both M-rated games. Hardly a child's toy.

But also mere drops in the bucket in comparison to what will most likely be available for the system.

- We don't know all the games we will get for PS4 because it hasn't come out yet.

True.

- Stop buying DLC (this goes for everyone) and they will stop relying on it.

"Stop relying on it" for what? I like DLC if it's a mission pack that you can play.

- Mute other people

What is this referring to?

It depends on the games you want to play. Check out the exclusives by Sony and the exclusives on Microsoft. I'm NOT talking about Call of Duty or Assassins Creed and I'm also not talking about propaganda exclusives (those that are released on one console and appear on another console later anyway. Microsoft is NOTORIOUS for doing this.).

Look at the games by:

Sony Santa Monica

Sucker Punch Games

Naughty Dog Games

Microsoft Games Studio

Epic Games

343 Industries

(Among others)

As you can tell you will see games from these companies that will never appear on it's competing console.

So pick what you think you will like and remember most if not all EA and Activision games will appear on both consoles, don't beleive the propaganda bullshit exlusives for launch day. Also if your strapped for cash get a PS4 and save 100 bucks or a Wii U. There's no shame in owning any console (although Microsoft in my opinion is a joke these days).

If you still like Nintendo games and could care less about EA and Activision (or Ubisoft) then by all means consider a Wii U.

The Wii U isn't as powerful as the 360 or PS3 but it's close enough that I'd call it last gen when the other two machines come out.

The graphics certainly won't be terrible but the won't be in the same ballpark as the ONE or PS4.

It depends on the games you want to play. Check out the exclusives by Sony and the exclusives on Microsoft. I'm NOT talking about Call of Duty or Assassins Creed and I'm also not talking about propaganda exclusives (those that are released on one console and appear on another console later anyway. Microsoft is NOTORIOUS for doing this.).

So pick what you think you will like and remember most if not all EA and Activision games will appear on both consoles, don't beleive the propaganda bullshit exlusives for launch day. Also if your strapped for cash get a PS4 and save 100 bucks or a Wii U. There's no shame in owning any console (although Microsoft in my opinion is a joke these days).

If you still like Nintendo games and could care less about EA and Activision (or Ubisoft) then by all means consider a Wii U.

That's pretty much the only reason I see to buy a Wii U.

There are things I like about the ONE that the other machines don't have. The ability to integrate TV with apps and switch back and forth easily has a lot of potential. Whether MS blows it or not remains to be seen, but if the launch is any indication everything will be tied to GOLD and another subscription so it's usefulness will probably be limited.

My brother has already said he's thinking of getting a PS4 but I'm leaning towards going back to PC gaming.

It's obvious the manufacturers have a long way to go with the next gen consoles so I'll probably wait and see.

Looks like you're mainly talking about modern consoles.

My biggest issue by far with modern consoles is the ridiculous amount of firmware/software updates. I understand that with more complex games this is kind of a need, but up until ps2 it was just a matter of popping in a disc & play your game. Now you can expect gigabytes of updates before even enjoying your games. Its probably still easier than handling a PC, but comes with the sacrifice of not being in full control.

It feels like PC gaming on the other hand is going to get a nice boost again :) with platforms like Steam or GOG my experience with PC gaming became a lot better over the years. Especially since all games can run on pretty high settings with only medium "cheap" hardware. I have a 6 year old desktop with some new 160 euro graphic card, and I can run most games on high settings with that.

Edited by Ninjabba
  • Like 2

There are things I like about the ONE that the other machines don't have. The ability to integrate TV with apps and switch back and forth easily has a lot of potential. Whether MS blows it or not remains to be seen, but if the launch is any indication everything will be tied to GOLD and another subscription so it's usefulness will probably be limited.

My brother has already said he's thinking of getting a PS4 but I'm leaning towards going back to PC gaming.

It's obvious the manufacturers have a long way to go with the next gen consoles so I'll probably wait and see.

I'm interested in the windows 8 apps integration (if it ever happens) and maybe the Halo series (although I'm burnt out on it). Still not willing to shell out $500+ dollars for that though especially since they wrap so many "should be free things" around GOLD. Playstation still has too many exclusives I like to play. GT, GOW and anything by Naughty Dog.

I have a PC and I mainly game on that so I won't be missing much. I did pre-order a PS4 though.

My main problem with the next generation of consoles is the fact I'm going to wait a good two to three years before I invest in the Microsoft and Sony consoles. I typically just buy all the consoles, but with all the rumors and potential for abuse from those two companies, I think I'll just happily game on my WiiU, handhelds, older consoles and PC until the dust settles. Basically, I'm usually really excited for new games. Now I'm hesitant, like putting my hand into a pot of snakes.

And I really don't consider what Nintendo is doing gimmicky. ROB The Robot was gimmicky. The Power Glove was gimmicky. The WiiU controller is just a different way of interacting with games. It's different for sure, but I don't consider it gimmicky.

Also, why are we even bringing up "outdated technology" on an Atari site? I figured most people would see the value of games over the muscle of hardware. The Wii wasn't nearly as powerful of a console compared to the PS3, but I've probably played my Nintendo ten times as much as my Sony. Not that the PS3 is a bad console, of course. I love the PS3. I just love the Wii more even though it's a wimp in comparison (although my favorite console of this generation is the 360).

It feels like PC gaming on the other hand is going to get a nice boost again :) with platforms like Steam or GOG my experience with PC gaming became a lot better over the years.

Totally agree. When GOG hit town, I slowly got sucked back into computer gaming. I haven't been this much into computer gaming since my Amiga days, and there's a lot of great stuff I've missed out on.

• Like 1

I don't really have a problem with modern gaming, I play games about daily. Yesterday I played Dragons Dogma, Magic 2014 and Borderlands 2 (co-op in the newest DLC) and had a great time doing it.

I've got the Xbox Box One and PS4 on pre-order.

I'll let you guys know if you're missing out on anything in Nov!

The Wii U isn't as powerful as the 360 or PS3 but it's close enough that I'd call it last gen when the other two machines come out.

The graphics certainly won't be terrible but the won't be in the same ballpark as the ONE or PS4.

Based on the specs I've seen, the Wii U is more powerful than both the PS3 and the 360.

- The Wii U is gimmicky because it includes a screen rather than being powerful.

- Kids play M-Rated games, parents don't care anymore.

I guess I don't really see the touch screen as 'gimmicky.' I have been using it to surf the net, use the off-TV gameplay feature (which seriously comes in handy when my wife uses the TV), and all the games I've played implement the screen. It seems to be an integral part of the console to me.

By using the the logic that kids play M-rated games and therefore that makes the Wii U a child's toy would also mean that all consoles are toys for kids because all consoles have M-rated games that kids can (and do) play.

Based on the specs I've seen, the Wii U is more powerful than both the PS3 and the 360.

You mean the rumors or Nintendo's technical specs?

Here is all Nintendo says:

http://www.nintendo....res/tech-specs/

A hacker that's had the machine apart said the CPU was 1.2GHz and developers have complained about it's speed.

That doesn't sound like the rumors at all.

The rumors had the machine running just shy of the PS4 and XBOX ONE but given Nintendo's history and avoidance of releasing real specs I'm inclined to believe the hacker.

The Wii U GPU should be able to render higher quality images and possibly a faster frame rate but that depends on the speed of the RAM.attached to the GPU.

Remember that RAM is shared between the CPU and GPU. One or the other has to stop while the other accesses the RAM if it's too slow and normally that's the CPU.

RAM speed in general is an issue for that matter since every cache miss causes the CPU to wait for RAM.

The 360 has a block of really high speed RAM, it's one of the reasons the 360 competes so well against the PS3 which was supposedly so much faster at number crunching.

So far I've seen nothing about something similar on the Wii U and unless it has the number crunching power of the PS3 or that high speed RAM I just don't see it living up to the rumors.

Also remember that game developers have had time to tweak their game engines to get the most out of them on the older two machines.

It may take a year or two before you see the full advantage of the newer Wii U GPU.

Still, when you move objects it's going to involve the CPU so unless the CPU can drive the moving fast enough it won't matter.

If the CPU is as slow as the hacker says, you can expect nicer looking images with fewer moving objects.

Moving the view point around takes little CPU, moving 20 fully articulated characters around the screen would be another matter.

The Wii U does have a much faster DVD drive and more RAM which should drop load times considerably vs the 360 and PS3.

The load times isn't quite such an issue since you can install games on a hard drive but the RAM should reduce the number of loads required.

Frankly, I think the WII U is more about HD Mario Kart than Far Cray so a slower clock speed makes sense.

Also, a slower clock speed is more in line with the price.

Edited by JamesD

The u is a great console. portable gaming and netflix. easily the best interface/controller to date. Its all we use. the 360 has 2 hours on it. used as dvd player. I can never see buying anything for the gimmicky kinect that never works. same ole bs. gimmicky wiimotes.. Thats a bunch of bs they ruled the last gen. I guess the kids that didnt grow up with atari and nintendo coming along kickin its ass never will get it. sony and xbox are kids toys made for kids. nintendo is the standard for fun games. oh i forgot the kids press triangle square to win game and enjoy hd cutscene.. wow.

Edited by Jinks

I used to have a bug up my butt about modern games but I stepped back, got some perspective and realized ''holy crap there are a lot of games I enjoyed these past several years''.

That being said I own a U, I own a 360 and my train with this hobby stops here. As of right now I have little to no interest in the upcoming consoles and I'll be continuing to collect for what I already have.

Edited by xg4bx
  • Like 1

I used to have a bug up my butt about modern games but I stepped back, got some perspective and realized ''holy crap there are a lot of games I enjoyed these past several years''.

That being said I own a U, I own a 360 and my train with this hobby stops here. As of right now I have little to no interest in the upcoming consoles and I'll be continuing to collect for what I already have.

I have a backlog of 360 titles to play as it is and I don't see running out to buy a next gen console that has a limited number of games and unproven reliability.

The last part alone is reason enough for me to wait and see. The image quality of the next gen consoles is appealing but not so much I'm going to risk that much money.

If I run out of 360 games I can always dig out some PS2 games I never finished.

The u is a great console. portable gaming and netflix. easily the best interface/controller to date. Its all we use. the 360 has 2 hours on it. used as dvd player. I can never see buying anything for the gimmicky kinect that never works. same ole bs. gimmicky wiimotes.. Thats a bunch of bs they ruled the last gen. I guess the kids that didnt grow up with atari and nintendo coming along kickin its ass never will get it. sony and xbox are kids toys made for kids. nintendo is the standard for fun games. oh i forgot the kids press triangle square to win game and enjoy hd cutscene.. wow.

I get Netflix, hulu+, Vudu, Crackle, etc... on my TVs without having to turn on another box, so that is of zero importance to me.

Integrating a Blu-ray player is another matter. It's one more box I can get ride of.

I'm not thrilled with Kinect either but I've seen a couple games that would be cool with it. I'd like a switch to disable the stupid thing if I had one.

I've never been a fan of Nintendo games. Don't get me wrong, the games can be a lot of fun for me... but they just aren't what I like.

That's probably the biggest reason I'm not interested in the Wii U. It's a personal preference thing.

Not having a Blu-ray drive would be the other main reason. I have quite a few Blu-ray movies and I'd like to do away with one more device.

Also remember that as image quality goes up, games use larger textures. Larger textures take more storage and you potentially have to swap disks on the Wii U where the other next gen consoles only require 1 disk. But then we thought that might happen with the current gen and I never saw it. I do think the higer res textures make it much more likely though.

• Like 1

I have a backlog of 360 titles to play as it is and I don't see running out to buy a next gen console that has a limited number of games and unproven reliability.

The last part alone is reason enough for me to wait and see. The image quality of the next gen consoles is appealing but not so much I'm going to risk that much money.

If I run out of 360 games I can always dig out some PS2 games I never finished.

I'm behind on games as it is, I just finally started playing Skyrim and that came out a year and a half ago. There's plenty left for me to play.

It's a hard thing to put into words but I'm finally satisfied with where I am in the hobby, I don't crave or want anything more.

The tablet is a natural extension of the DS. I'm not surprised Nintendo thought it would be a good idea to model their console after their much more succesful handheld. Whether it lives up to its potential remains to be seen. So far I've played games where it had tremendous utility (aka not gimmicks like Nintendo Land).

It is an outstanding extension for Lego City Undercover and I loved having more info like maps in my hand without having to check a sub menu.

It may be a gimmick but it is one hell of a gimmick. It really is a great controller that is surprisingly comfortable and has good response.

Really I don't know how you can complain about the sameness of modern gaming and dismiss the Wii U out of hand. It may not have games you are interested in but it definitely isn't trying to be like PS4/Xbone

• Like 1

FWIW, the XBOX ONE is not a VCR. That alone would probably justify the price difference but sadly, no DVR function. But then Microsoft would require a Gold subscription to use it anyway so no great loss right?

The tablet is a natural extension of the DS. I'm not surprised Nintendo thought it would be a good idea to model their console after their much more succesful handheld. Whether it lives up to its potential remains to be seen. So far I've played games where it had tremendous utility (aka not gimmicks like Nintendo Land).

It is an outstanding extension for Lego City Undercover and I loved having more info like maps in my hand without having to check a sub menu.

It may be a gimmick but it is one hell of a gimmick. It really is a great controller that is surprisingly comfortable and has good response.

Programmers can already link a last gen console to a tablet or smart phone so not a huge advantage.

Until I can control characters in an RPG with it so I don't have to pop up a armor/weapons or magic inventory on the main screen I really don't care.

Really I don't know how you can complain about the sameness of modern gaming and dismiss the Wii U out of hand. It may not have games you are interested in but it definitely isn't trying to be like PS4/Xbone

The Wii U definitely isn't trying to be like the PS4/XBOX (why do you thing Xbone is so clever? Are you 12?). If it was trying to do that it would have a Blu-ray drive and would be faster than it is.

Frankly, the Nintendo experience just doesn't appeal to me and if everything else will be better on one of the other platforms so why get the Wii U?

It kinda comes down to this... Mario doesn't appeal to me. You run around hitting boxes to get stars, you walk through sewer pipes ON PURPOSE, dress up as a raccoon for special abilities, smack baddies around, listen to doinky boingy poinky sounds, the music is something out of a candy induced nightmare and you go through endless boss battles that just annoy me.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go back to my RPG where I smash some crates for gold, walk around in a dungeon ON PURPOSE, upgrade my armor for special abilities, smack baddies around, listen to crash ching smash sounds, the music is something out of a horror flick induced nightmare and I go through endless boss battles that just annoy me.

Yeah, Nintendo gaming is just too unique for me I guess.

• Like 1

Did you say Zelda?? Heres my paycheque!!

LOL! I thought Zelda would have been a launch title. Include it as a pack in with the more expensive version of the Wii U and the Nintendo fans would all have one by now or as soon as they can sell a kidney.