IGNORED

Problems with modern gaming

The fundamental problem with modern gaming is that EVERYTHING is a 3D realtime action/adventure title. Good luck being a gamer with motion sickness or without Arcade reflexes.

That's so true. My wife is a gamer at heart but can't play 90% of all the games out there because of motion sickness.

• Like 1

Zelda has gone downhill for me. They need to do something with that.

Maybe make Zelda a player character.

I'm a Zelda fan, and I agree. We need to get back to 2D Zelda. Ocarina of Time was this amazing (overrated, IMO) milestone for the series, but ultimately I think it took LoZ too far in a direction it didn't need to go.

Edited by godslabrat
  • Like 1

My brother has no problems with motion sickness on most games, but Batman made him sick within 20 minutes and he couldn't play any longer.

With 3D enabled along with my 3D TV it made my eyes hurt and I got a bit of a headache but I didn't get sick. Something is off on the 3D rendering.

As for Mario... Nintendo needs to develop some new exclusives rather than beating the old ones to death.

The fundamental problem with modern gaming is that EVERYTHING is a 3D realtime action/adventure title. Good luck being a gamer with motion sickness or without Arcade reflexes.

I agree, I remember playing Tony Hawk games and getting a bad headache. If I play Battlefield or COD for too long I get a little bit of a headache. You are talking to a guy that gets sick on paddleboats so if I do play my XBox 360, I have to watch myself.

Frankly, the Nintendo experience just doesn't appeal to me and if everything else will be better on one of the other platforms so why get the Wii U?

It kinda comes down to this... Mario doesn't appeal to me. You run around hitting boxes to get stars, you walk through sewer pipes ON PURPOSE, dress up as a raccoon for special abilities, smack baddies around, listen to doinky boingy poinky sounds, the music is something out of a candy induced nightmare and you go through endless boss battles that just annoy me.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go back to my RPG where I smash some crates for gold, walk around in a dungeon ON PURPOSE, upgrade my armor for special abilities, smack baddies around, listen to crash ching smash sounds, the music is something out of a horror flick induced nightmare and I go through endless boss battles that just annoy me.

Yeah, Nintendo gaming is just too unique for me I guess.

because Mario is the only Nintendo game! I mean, there's no way they made any other franchises or games at all, you know how all they make is Mario! And that's all those third company parties ever make too! it's all just Mario!

Edited by Nesbroslash

I partly agree on this, but at the same time it also gives opportunity to small devs.

Say, creating a point&click adventure is something I could start working on if I feel like, and release it on well known modern platforms. From the point of view of a developer, we have more accessibility, resources and visibility than ever before. That surely should be an argument in favor of modern gaming

I partly agree on this, but at the same time it also gives opportunity to small devs.

Say, creating a point&click adventure is something I could start working on if I feel like, and release it on well known modern platforms. From the point of view of a developer, we have more accessibility, resources and visibility than ever before. That surely should be an argument in favor of modern gaming

And yet, Microsoft says you'll need a publisher for that and I believe Nintendo has never really been an indie game platform.

Sony... who knows but you can bet the PS4 will be as locked down to indie devs.

because Mario is the only Nintendo game! I mean, there's no way they made any other franchises or games at all, you know how all they make is Mario! And that's all those third company parties ever make too! it's all just Mario!

Um yeah, you do realize I just singled out Mario because he's THE Nintendo exclusive right?

And yet, Microsoft says you'll need a publisher for that and I believe Nintendo has never really been an indie game platform.

Sony... who knows but you can bet the PS4 will be as locked down to indie devs.

Ok, maybe I'm a bit biased to PC gaming and only had my share of development on Android and iOS in terms of modern "gaming" platforms. Even Ubuntu is having a market place for games these days. I see enough non-Microsoft, non-Sony, non-Nintendo possibilities of developing games and reaching an audience, I must say I'm content with the current situation of modern gaming.

Publishing through some platform to get more visibility is as normal as it can get (note I use platform in the broadest sense). The amount of money the big 3 ask to use their dev kits is indeed debatable, but that is not something related to modern gaming; it becomes more of a "problems with the big 3 corp. policies" kind of discussion.

Edit: I just noticed that the OP used XBox One, PS4 and Wii U in the tags. If this is believed to be all that is modern gaming, I'm definitely on the wrong track :) but I think otherwise..

Edited by Ninjabba

I'm sure I missed a well thought out argument from a flaw you found in someones opinion. Some teenager in your household obviously grabbed the keyboard and deleted your page long critique whilst you took a call.

yeah something of the sorts. i rarely think b4 typing.