IGNORED

Hive multi-cart - It's alive!

I just dislike the process of: build program, remove SD card, put in adapter, put in PC, browse to SD card folder (if OS can't remember where it was), copy file, say yes, I want to replace the darn thing!, remove SD card, remove from adapter, put in CC3 (or whatever ;) ), lather rinse repeat. ....

I usually use an emulator for retro-dev (to avoid these issues), or am I missing something here...?

PS: Definitely interested in getting the GroovyBee multicart (if the price is right); what's the release timeframe? Will it be open-source?

Edited by jum

I usually use an emulator for retro-dev (to avoid these issues), or am I missing something here...?

You missed the part where it was pointed out that (paraphrasing) 'when it's time to test on actual hardware'. ;) Yes, most development happens using an emulator for fastest iteration. But if you're planning to claim a program works on hardware, it's a good idea to run it there. More than once, some strange quirk in hardware has caused trouble. And sometimes if you're doing some experiment to see how emulation compares to hardware you'll cycle rapidly, too.

Emulators will get you a long way but they aren't a match for testing on real hardware. For example, I have Inty code that works fine both on jzintv and real hardware but crashes in Nostalgia and Bliss. Once you get into those kinds of scenarios you tend to trust emulation far less. The other important aspect of testing on real hardware is your game's control method using the disc. Its very easy to develop games that work fine on a PC keyboard, using the arrow keys for movement, but they don't respond that well to disc input.

PWill it be open-source?

Could you elaborate on this a bit more? Do you mean a programmers API for BeeX BIOS functionality or do you mean the ability to build a multi-cart yourself?

Emulators will get you a long way but they aren't a match for testing on real hardware. For example, I have Inty code that works fine both on jzintv and real hardware but crashes in Nostalgia and Bliss. Once you get into those kinds of scenarios you tend to trust emulation far less. The other important aspect of testing on real hardware is your game's control method using the disc. Its very easy to develop games that work fine on a PC keyboard, using the arrow keys for movement, but they don't respond that well to disc input.

As a perfect example, consider the "PAL" recall of the Christmas Carol game. There was a bug in the code that went unnoticed during the extensive testing of the game, done mostly on emulators and the "NTSC" version of the console. However, a very slight timing difference between these two versions caused the bug to manifest, causing the game to crash. The jzIntv emulator includes a "PAL" mode which emulates the hardware with a high degree of accuracy--but it also did not reproduce the bug.

Apart from timing idiosyncrasies, there's all sorts of bus related quirks that are not part of the specifications and may not be understood well enough to be included in emulators. There's also bugs within the emulators themselves; after all, they are complex software applications and therefore imperfect. jzIntv does an exceptional job at simulating the real hardware, but it is most definitely not the real thing.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I guess its time for an update. I'd like to present HIVE :-

post-21935-0-53571200-1412964980_thumb.pngpost-21935-0-30199200-1412965008_thumb.png

The key features are :-

• No DRM bullshit :lol:.
  • microSD based so it works on Windows/Linux and MAC without additional software.
  • Based on Bee3 cart technology.
  • Professionally manufactured.
  • Support for *.bin+*.cfg, *.int, *.rom game ROMs.
  • Legacy games and prototypes do not need a *.cfg because they are auto-identified.
  • Support for long file names and folders.
  • 512K of on-board flash for game saves.
  • Provides hardware accelerated features for new homebrew games.
  • Upgradeable by the user.
  • Load/save menu/bios configuration settings.
How much am I asking for these bad boys when they go on general sale? A gougetastic $75 + P&P for the basic version. I don't have a price for the deluxe version, which will include a pre-loaded microSD card yet. The microSD card will most likely contain some of my utilities and game demos.

The Hives that you see in the right hand picture are some of the pre-production versions which I'll be letting go for the same price but without a box. They will function exactly the same as the final version and I'll post a box out to the purchaser when that part of the project is ready. The pre-production versions will be ready before the bulk of the multi-carts.

As soon as the Hive BIOS is finished I'll be offering around 20 pre-production units for sale to random people that expressed an interest in this thread. Others will have to wait a little while longer for a full release.

• Like 18