IGNORED

Hive multi-cart - It's alive!

I have been informed that some of you thought that my post to GB was written in a sarcastic tone. This couldn't be further from the truth. I love and support everything about GB, including his slower pace on all of his projects. Keep up the good work, GB! :)

I guess walt didn't read the other threads with your requests for slower releases, and the reactions.

A multi-cart (or two) will be very nice.

I think they are in negotiations.

Personally, I wouldn't hold my breath. In this interview from 2007 he said that a combo cart for the 5200 containing Miner 2049er and Bounty Bob Strikes Back was not going to be profitable (discussion about it on AA here). That "project" was announced in 2005 and discussed on AA here. Hes also turned down several requests to make repros of his games by members of the Atari community.

Personally, I wouldn't hold my breath. In this interview from 2007 he said that a combo cart for the 5200 containing Miner 2049er and Bounty Bob Strikes Back was not going to be profitable (discussion about it on AA here). That "project" was announced in 2005 and discussed on AA here. Hes also turned down several requests to make repros of his games by members of the Atari community.

Yeah, but you are not considering the proper angle. If Elektronite makes a limited edition run for an increased "collector's price," and sells the first 20 serial numbers at several hundred dollars above that, it will surely be profitable! :lol:

You're just not clever enough. :lol:

-dZ.

• Like 1

Yeah, but you are not considering the proper angle. If Elektronite makes a limited edition run for an increased "collector's price," and sells the first 20 serial numbers at several hundred dollars above that, it will surely be profitable! :lol:

You're just not clever enough. :lol:

-dZ.

That sounds like an excellent idea for a limited homebrew release, and I am sure someone will do it soon! Great suggestion!

Probably a better angle though, is to take money for a game and just show pictures,..... now that will surely be even more profitable!

However, sorry to turn down your suggestion, but all Elektronite games are unlimited and have a potential of at least 500 copies depending on demand. If we are successful obtaining the rights for Miner 2049er, there will be more than enough copies at $70 each.

And, that is not out of the realm of possibility. I've been speaking directly to Bill Hogue, and if it was just up to him, we'd already have the rights, but unfortunately, there are other considerations. Hopefully, these problems can be ironed out soon and the game can get the green light. No, I wouldn't hold my breath, but I wouldn't bet against it either.

That sounds like an excellent idea for a limited homebrew release, and I am sure someone will do it soon! Great suggestion!

Probably a better angle though, is to take money for a game and just show pictures,..... now that will surely be even more profitable!

Oh snap! I see that your dealings with someone has scarred you for life! Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get over it... someday. :lol:

Edited by DZ-Jay

All kidding aside. It is apparent that there ARE collectors that want and love serial numbers, low serial numbers, etc etc.

I had planned to do serial numbers on all releases I did, only the mouse trap cbs has them. I actually still have the stickers for 4 other games.

But...a wise man talked me out of it. For various reasons. And I'm glad of it. Its a royal pain keeping track of!

• Like 1

All kidding aside. It is apparent that there ARE collectors that want and love serial numbers, low serial numbers, etc etc.

I had planned to do serial numbers on all releases I did, only the mouse trap cbs has them. I actually still have the stickers for 4 other games.

But...a wise man talked me out of it. For various reasons. And I'm glad of it. Its a royal pain keeping track of!

I am no fan of the serial number thing. If Tim wasn't so great at administering them, I'd have discontinued them already myself. We have 3 more sets of Elektronite serial numbers and that is all she wrote. There are no plans to do more Elektronite releases after the next three, but if we do, I expect that the serial number thing will go away on Elektronite releases.

I hate it when games are only released in Cartridge format and for a limited quantity and time. Many people can't afford to shell out $70 for a game with 1980's graphics, I like my Intellivision but not so much that I'd spend 70 plus bucks on a game, it should not cost as much as a modern system game for a simple graphics game why not also sell it in ROM Format after recovering the production costs of manufacturing the Cartridge. Even if I had the money I can not buy Chopper Command for Intellivision because it is no longer made. I did get the Atari VCS version on E-bay for less then 10 buck and play it on my Colecovision via the Atari Expansion Module. I have The Orginal Intellivision 1 so I can't use the Atari Adapter to play the few good Atari Games I own. The VCS had a very few good games, mostly the Activision games and some Imagic games and the Super Charger.

I hate it when games are only released in Cartridge format and for a limited quantity and time. Many people can't afford to shell out $70 for a game with 1980's graphics, I like my Intellivision but not so much that I'd spend 70 plus bucks on a game, it should not cost as much as a modern system game for a simple graphics game why not also sell it in ROM Format after recovering the production costs of manufacturing the Cartridge. Even if I had the money I can not buy Chopper Command for Intellivision because it is no longer made. I did get the Atari VCS version on E-bay for less then 10 buck and play it on my Colecovision via the Atari Expansion Module. I have The Orginal Intellivision 1 so I can't use the Atari Adapter to play the few good Atari Games I own. The VCS had a very few good games, mostly the Activision games and some Imagic games and the Super Charger.

It seems to me that a lot of the homebrew people doing limited releases eventually release the game roms. None of the games I sell are out of stock except D2K Arcade which was discontinued due to questionable rights. However, that is available currently for use on emulators and flash carts like the Hive for a very reasonable $10 on sale at http://www.carlmuellerjr.com/

• Like 1

I just wanted to let you know that some people on this forum can modify your Intellivision Master Component to support the System Changer expansion module for Atari games. It was something that Mattel used to do back in the 1980s as well, so it's not like it's a weird "hack."

I had mine modified and it works rather well. :)

-dZ.

It seems to me that a lot of the homebrew people doing limited releases eventually release the game roms. None of the games I sell are out of stock except D2K Arcade which was discontinued due to questionable rights. However, that is available currently for use on emulators and flash carts like the Hive for a very reasonable $10 on sale at http://www.carlmuellerjr.com/

Yea I know about your games, I have all of them (I think) I have DK Arcade and D2K Arcade and Ms Pac Man I also have your Sound Music Test App I found somewhere on Atari Age in a forum where people post demo, prototype and test programs.

I want to get all the newer games that came out like Copter Command, Piggy Bank, Dynamite Rick I have a prototype of Dynamite Rick that does not play fully it has the intro screens for each level and music (Which is cool) but all you can do is run around the levels and die from bullets and falling on spikes but if you fall real far you don't die and you have bullets in your gun but there are not enemies to shoot. The Title Screen Music is cool too. I also want to get Missile Domination maybe Sydney Hunter & The Shrines of Peril Mars Mini Games and Rocketeer. I have the Teaser of Rocketeer and Mars Mini Games in ROM format that I play via Cuttle Cart 3. Miner 49er would be cool to have if in ROM Format not sure if I'd want even that in Cartridge format, it would be nice to not have to keep swapping out cartridges, that is why I like the CC3 all games on 1 cartridge, saves wear and tear on the Intellivison Cartridge Port and cartridges but mostly for the convenience.

Copter Command is still available, maybe not from the original source(tho he may still have copies, I haven't checked with him directly)

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1061

Yea I know about your games, I have all of them (I think) I have DK Arcade and D2K Arcade and Ms Pac Man I also have your Sound Music Test App I found somewhere on Atari Age in a forum where people post demo, prototype and test programs.

I want to get all the newer games that came out like Copter Command, Piggy Bank, Dynamite Rick I have a prototype of Dynamite Rick that does not play fully it has the intro screens for each level and music (Which is cool) but all you can do is run around the levels and die from bullets and falling on spikes but if you fall real far you don't die and you have bullets in your gun but there are not enemies to shoot. The Title Screen Music is cool too. I also want to get Missile Domination maybe Sydney Hunter & The Shrines of Peril Mars Mini Games and Rocketeer. I have the Teaser of Rocketeer and Mars Mini Games in ROM format that I play via Cuttle Cart 3. Miner 49er would be cool to have if in ROM Format not sure if I'd want even that in Cartridge format, it would be nice to not have to keep swapping out cartridges, that is why I like the CC3 all games on 1 cartridge, saves wear and tear on the Intellivison Cartridge Port and cartridges but mostly for the convenience.

D2K Arcade was written by my good friend Carl Mueller and we started 'Classic Game Publishers' together, which took over 'Elektronite'. Ms Pac Man was written by Carl and published by Intelligentvision because I didn't want to touch it. When I talk about 'my games' I am talking about the ones that I published and no others. There are a few people putting out games and you are talking about a bunch of different authors and publishers' games.

I wonder were this Rick Dynamite demo comes from?!

A cart release should be 30 and box 50. Why is the intellivision stuff so expensive? Also serial numbers? Limited runs of several hundred dollars per cart? Obviously not game players. Just a bunch of hoarders and people in the market for profit. I think my intellivision will never see a homebrew. The ataris and coleco for sure. Prices are more reasonable and not into putting numbers on things for hundreds of dollars.

Seems this market is driven by less than 10 people alone anyway each buying multiple copies for resale or to keep the prices high. You really do not see this on any other console but the intellivision.

Brotherhood for a few. Bacon for all.

Multicart looks nice. As a game player this would be the only option on an intellivision.

Oh yeah happy 2016.

On the other side of things these people shelling out 500 each per game is what gets them made in the first place. So they pay for the product so why bitch? I guess this is a spectators sport for a guy who plays the games?

A cart release should be 30 and box 50. Why is the intellivision stuff so expensive? Also serial numbers? Limited runs of several hundred dollars per cart? Obviously not game players. Just a bunch of hoarders and people in the market for profit. I think my intellivision will never see a homebrew. The ataris and coleco for sure. Prices are more reasonable and not into putting numbers on things for hundreds of dollars.

Seems this market is driven by less than 10 people alone anyway each buying multiple copies for resale or to keep the prices high. You really do not see this on any other console but the intellivision.

Brotherhood for a few. Bacon for all.

Multicart looks nice. As a game player this would be the only option on an intellivision.

Oh yeah happy 2016.

On the other side of things these people shelling out 500 each per game is what gets them made in the first place. So they pay for the product so why bitch? I guess this is a spectators sport for a guy who plays the games?

Most (almost all) Intellivision homebrew releases are limited, but only in the sense that the producer releasing the game is attempting to produce only enough to meet 'current demand'. No one wants to invest in hundreds of extra copies that will take 5+ years to sell. The market is just too small for that. Historically, most Intellivision homebrew releases will sell 100-300 copies within a few years. The first 100 probably sell pretty soon after sales start. Pricing is typically $50-70 CIB. The few games that have sold cart only were around $35-40.

I suspect that most games are purchased by collectors, but some collectors take advantage of the price increase that some (not all) homebrews experience after a few years. Buying an extra copy of a game that could appreciate is a way some collectors mitigate the costs of buying pricier games they missed out on. I've purchased a $50 homebrew, watched the price jump to $200, then traded it for a $200 game. I'm not out to make money, but I'm also not interested in buying games for $200. That said, there are some people that but games solely for resale at a significant markup. However, you'd be surprised how many of those resellers are collectors themselves.

Serial numbers used to be used by a few sellers, but are now rare/nonexistent. Some people like low numbers and will pay a premium for them. Many collector markets are like that.

As for the folks buying games for $500...there are all kinds of buyers with all kinds of lifestyles. I don't judge. Of the original 125 releases, there are only maybe 5-6 that sell for $300 or more. Of the homebrews, maybe 3-4 sell for over $300 regularly (4-Tris, Robot Rubble, League of Light). RR and LOL were kinda secret and limited, but they're also like a decade old. I'm not saying that a few games didn't set a record here or there (Blix, Stonix, Deep Pockets, etc), but a highest ever selling price doesn't really dictate overall value.

In summary, it's not all greed and corruption. Prices run generally higher than Atari, but it's a smaller market and subject to higher prices from smaller batch sizes. Some games end up on eBay at higher prices, but I see the same thing with Atari (Princess Rescue) and many Colecovision homebrews. It's a free market. Regarding pricing for gamers, I suspect 2016 will be a good year including multicarts, free and cheap ROMs, and a few cart-only releases :)

• Like 3

Intellivision was a smaller market share than Atari, but I think some of this boils down to marketing for the homebrew releases. If all Inty releases get a chance to make it to the AA store, then more people will see them.

And not everyone knows about AA. I certainly didn't until recently. Years ago I was lurking on the INTV Programming newsgroup and saw that Stonix and Space Patrol was released, so I was able to get those, but not all game releases were posted to the newsgroup and I missed out on many homebrew releases. So instead of lurking on that newsgroup I could've been lurking here sooner... and one would not think that a webpage named Atariage would be the biggest home for Intellivision collectors.

When looking on eBay for Inty games, why don't the bigger producers have a eBay store? More of the unknowing masses look to eBay for games.

Edited by fdr4prez

Most (almost all) Intellivision homebrew releases are limited, but only in the sense that the producer releasing the game is attempting to produce only enough to meet 'current demand'. No one wants to invest in hundreds of extra copies that will take 5+ years to sell. The market is just too small for that. Historically, most Intellivision homebrew releases will sell 100-300 copies within a few years. The first 100 probably sell pretty soon after sales start. Pricing is typically $50-70 CIB. The few games that have sold cart only were around $35-40.

I suspect that most games are purchased by collectors, but some collectors take advantage of the price increase that some (not all) homebrews experience after a few years. Buying an extra copy of a game that could appreciate is a way some collectors mitigate the costs of buying pricier games they missed out on. I've purchased a $50 homebrew, watched the price jump to $200, then traded it for a $200 game. I'm not out to make money, but I'm also not interested in buying games for $200. That said, there are some people that but games solely for resale at a significant markup. However, you'd be surprised how many of those resellers are collectors themselves.

Serial numbers used to be used by a few sellers, but are now rare/nonexistent. Some people like low numbers and will pay a premium for them. Many collector markets are like that.

As for the folks buying games for $500...there are all kinds of buyers with all kinds of lifestyles. I don't judge. Of the original 125 releases, there are only maybe 5-6 that sell for $300 or more. Of the homebrews, maybe 3-4 sell for over $300 regularly (4-Tris, Robot Rubble, League of Light). RR and LOL were kinda secret and limited, but they're also like a decade old. I'm not saying that a few games didn't set a record here or there (Blix, Stonix, Deep Pockets, etc), but a highest ever selling price doesn't really dictate overall value.

In summary, it's not all greed and corruption. Prices run generally higher than Atari, but it's a smaller market and subject to higher prices from smaller batch sizes. Some games end up on eBay at higher prices, but I see the same thing with Atari (Princess Rescue) and many Colecovision homebrews. It's a free market. Regarding pricing for gamers, I suspect 2016 will be a good year including multicarts, free and cheap ROMs, and a few cart-only releases :)

Robot Rubble, League of Light, and Deep Pockets were released in 2001 by Intellivision Productions on their Intellivision Rocks CD. Deep Pockets was a free download even before that. It's too bad that it has been so long since an Intellivision multicart has been available, but excellent emulators and usb controller adapters are available. As Jasonlikesintv said, some of the boxed releases are likely just for collectors.

edit:

correct me if I am wrong but 4-Tris and Stonix are free downloads, and I don't know when the downloads were available compared to the box/cartridge release

Edited by mr_me