IGNORED

Hive multi-cart - It's alive!

• 2 years later...

So what is the brief timeline for these various cartridges?

2007: Cuttle Cart 3
2013: Teasing begins about the Hive
2016: LTO Flash!

I don't recall if there have been any other Flash or memory card based designs even in the development in the past 8 years except for the LTO which is powerful, some find a bit pricey but most importantly has been out of production periodically in the past few years.

I am aware that Intellivision cartridges are far more complex to design and manufacture than most other retro consoles and home computers, which explains both the low availability and the relatively high costs associated with it. Still it is striking that compared to other formats where there pops up at least one new solution per year, not necessarily more affordable but often more capable or suited to a particular use case, there almost is tumbleweed over here beyond the production of individual game cartridges.

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

So what is the brief timeline for these various cartridges?

2007: Cuttle Cart 3
2013: Teasing begins about the Hive
2016: LTO Flash!

I don't recall if there have been any other Flash or memory card based designs even in the development in the past 8 years except for the LTO which is powerful, some find a bit pricey but most importantly has been out of production periodically in the past few years.

I am aware that Intellivision cartridges are far more complex to design and manufacture than most other retro consoles and home computers, which explains both the low availability and the relatively high costs associated with it. Still it is striking that compared to other formats where there pops up at least one new solution per year, not necessarily more affordable but often more capable or suited to a particular use case, there almost is tumbleweed over here beyond the production of individual game cartridges.

I believe there was Intellicart but that was well before my time.

http://wiki.intellivision.us/index.php/Intellicart

• Like 1

While menus are definitely better (not to mention being able to add your own roms), I find a certain charm in dip switch based multicarts lol. Really reminds me I'm playing something old! I have ones for Odyssey2 and Astrocade. Otherwise have rarely touched a dip switch since the 90s. Keeps my switching abilities in practice!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

The dipswitch Intellivision multicart.

http://kevtris.org/Projects/intvmult/index.html

Ah, good call!  I remembered the dip switches and most of the early Sean Kelly multicarts having dip switches, so in my mind they were one in the same.

I remember being so impressed.  Really incredible what some people can create.