GroovyBee

Hive multi-cart - It's alive!

The developer (GrooveyBee, Mark Ball) was also developing two games that he took pre-order money on and never delivered. 

Still waiting for my refund that he promised.

14 hours ago, forge73 said:

Hi,

Is the Hive multicart still available? I would be interested in one?

Thank you.

actually the topic title is misleading and should be changed. 

Hive multi-cart - It's dead! would be probably more appropriate

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

So what is the brief timeline for these various cartridges?

2007: Cuttle Cart 3
2013: Teasing begins about the Hive
2016: LTO Flash!

I don't recall if there have been any other Flash or memory card based designs even in the development in the past 8 years except for the LTO which is powerful, some find a bit pricey but most importantly has been out of production periodically in the past few years.

I am aware that Intellivision cartridges are far more complex to design and manufacture than most other retro consoles and home computers, which explains both the low availability and the relatively high costs associated with it. Still it is striking that compared to other formats where there pops up at least one new solution per year, not necessarily more affordable but often more capable or suited to a particular use case, there almost is tumbleweed over here beyond the production of individual game cartridges.

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

So what is the brief timeline for these various cartridges?

2007: Cuttle Cart 3
2013: Teasing begins about the Hive
2016: LTO Flash!

I don't recall if there have been any other Flash or memory card based designs even in the development in the past 8 years except for the LTO which is powerful, some find a bit pricey but most importantly has been out of production periodically in the past few years.

I am aware that Intellivision cartridges are far more complex to design and manufacture than most other retro consoles and home computers, which explains both the low availability and the relatively high costs associated with it. Still it is striking that compared to other formats where there pops up at least one new solution per year, not necessarily more affordable but often more capable or suited to a particular use case, there almost is tumbleweed over here beyond the production of individual game cartridges.

I believe there was Intellicart but that was well before my time.

http://wiki.intellivision.us/index.php/Intellicart

• Like 1

Aha, a RAM based cart from 2000 that uses RS232 to load files. Yes, it counts for its time. I was more interested in achievements in the last 10 years.

14 minutes ago, Intymike said:

IMG_2085.thumb.jpeg.0f1e4a5e6acd13ce7c94796b9da99aa3.jpeg

Nice! I only have the LTO and am very lucky to look for Inty stuff when I did! (was part of the first batch). I have a pretty massive flash cart collection with 3-4 for some systems, but LTO is my only Intellivision cart!

• Like 2

I think Sean Kelly made the first Intellivision MultiCart into or out of an Intellivoice.

It used dip switches to select games. 

Quick search found no info!  But I will look some more.

Edited by 1980gamer

7 minutes ago, 1980gamer said:

I think Sean Kelly made the first Intellivision MultiCart into or out of an Intellivioce.

It used dip switches to select games. 

Quick search found no info!  But I will look some more.

never heard of this one.

While menus are definitely better (not to mention being able to add your own roms), I find a certain charm in dip switch based multicarts lol. Really reminds me I'm playing something old! I have ones for Odyssey2 and Astrocade. Otherwise have rarely touched a dip switch since the 90s. Keeps my switching abilities in practice!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

The dipswitch Intellivision multicart.

http://kevtris.org/Projects/intvmult/index.html

Ah, good call!  I remembered the dip switches and most of the early Sean Kelly multicarts having dip switches, so in my mind they were one in the same.

I remember being so impressed.  Really incredible what some people can create.