IGNORED

CMart's Original 125 Checklist

I read the goal for 2017 to get a "top 10 rare game" and I am curious: What is the top 10 of most rare games? I am NOT talking about variations, just games in any version.

What would you think?

My guess is Learning Fun I and II, Spiker, Congo Bongo, Stadium Mud Buggies are fix, but then? I do not very often see games like Body Slam. And what do you think about Tutankham or Super Cobra?

Yep, the top five are easy to list as you mentioned, as for what's next I'd say Body Slam is a safe sixth spot and then it gets interesting.

The candidates would be: Fathom, Tut, Super Cobra, Turbo, Worm Whomper, River Raid, Triple Challenge, Mountain Madness, Pole Position, Diner, Dig Dug, World Series, Melody Blaster, Jetsons. Lol, I guess I just created the top 20 rarest.

I'd fill out 7-10 with Triple Challenge, Mountain Madness, Tutankham, and maybe Jetsons, with Fathom and Melody Blaster close behind.

• Like 2

Hi all, thanks for discussing one of my top goals for the year. I left many goals for myself vague so I have reason to cross or uncross a goal and continue collecting as needed. Outside of the mystical top 4/5 games, I think you've all hit on the easiest of the difficult to find games. I plan on reading up on each on and buying one from Rev's friend or trying to trade for one on the forums. I hope to be more active this year.

Melody Blaster and World Series Major League Baseball, I would put there, Triple Challenge for sure. Fathom and Mountain Madness. River Raid with a good set of overlays can be hard.

Condition is always a factor, but I would just stay with CiB copys. River Raid is very often online for sale and the price extremely dropped the last years. It was, as well as Worm Whomper, a 100$ game and you were happy to get it for 80 bucks. Today you can get both for that without many trouble :D

And to be honest: Tutankham and Super Cobra are not so hard to get as a european. They are not common, but do appear much more often than for example Triple Challenge. If everything works out, I will have both games to sell in a week or two (Cobra and Tut, not Triple Challenge)

I'm interested in Cobra and Tut. PM sent.

Condition is always a factor, but I would just stay with CiB copys. River Raid is very often online for sale and the price extremely dropped the last years. It was, as well as Worm Whomper, a 100$ game and you were happy to get it for 80 bucks. Today you can get both for that without many trouble :D

And to be honest: Tutankham and Super Cobra are not so hard to get as a european. They are not common, but do appear much more often than for example Triple Challenge. If everything works out, I will have both games to sell in a week or two (Cobra and Tut, not Triple Challenge)

I troll eBay every day in an attempt to find a steal on things I need. The Top 10 are never available in that state but this does give me a window into what hits the auctions more than others. So, here is the1hatman's Totally Unscientific and Completely Based on His Own Simple Observations Top 10 Rarest CIB Intellivision Games:

1. Learning Fun II - I can't remember the last time I saw this listed as CIB

2. Learning Fun I - a couple of these float around and seem like they're always available but that's really just due to their high price causing the same ones to be relisted often

3. Spiker! Super Pro Volleyball - I can honestly say I've seen this for sale at least 5 or 6 times in 2016. Far more than the top 2

4. Mountain Madness Super Pro Skiing - CIB listings are few and far between

5. Congo Bongo - Carts appear here and there but CIB is super rare

6. Body Slam Super Pro Wrestling - Carts are not too rare but CIB seriously is

7. Turbo - I know this will get laughed at for being this high but I've honestly seen little more than a handful CIB up for bids

8. Stadium Mud Buggies - There are CIB copies available right now. I'ts pretty rare but not impossible to find listings for it

9. Fathom - The carts are easy to pick up but actual CIB versions are few

10. Tutankham - It comes up occasionally enough that it keeps a consistent presence

A few other tough CIB ones are Triple Challenge, Super Cobra, Melody Blaster, World Series Major League Baseball, Super Pro Decathlon, River Raid, The Jetson's Ways With Words, Dig Dug and Diner. Another one is Truckin'. I know you think you see it often but the vast majority available with a box are missing the map and, as such, cannot be called CIB.

Remember this is just on eBay US with worldwide selected and only complete in box. Any of those I have outside the top 10 could be as high as 6 or 7. This is just one person's view of the scene on eBay.

Edited by the1hatman
  • Like 1

2-4 years ago there was a mini flood of Mountain Madness and Decathlons. Empty Mountain Madness boxes sold for $20-30. CIB Decathlons were selling for $30-40.

At the same time The Jetsons and Triple Challenge were much more scarce, but they seem to be more common lately.

Stadium Mud Buggies and Spiker are almost always available, but pricey. That said, they're still decently 'rare'.

LF2 and LF2 don't pop up to often, however there have been an unusual number of LF1s selling in the last 6mo.

Body Slam is always tough to find complete.

A quick check of eBay to see how close my top 10 matches today's listings, rearranged by current rarity from rarest to most common (my original rank):

1. Learning Fun II - 0 CIB, 2 loose carts

5. Congo Bongo - 0 CIB, 1 loose cart, 1 cart with manual

4. Mountain Madness Super Pro Skiing - 0 CIB, 1 box with cart, 4 loose carts

9. Fathom - 1 CIB

10. Tutankham - 1 CIB

3. Spiker! Super Pro Volleyball - 1 CIB, 1 cart with manual

6. Body Slam Super Pro Wrestling - 1 CIB, 1 cart with manual, 3 loose carts

7. Turbo - 1 CIB (sealed), 2 carts with manuals, 2 loose carts

2. Learning Fun I - 2 CIB, 4 loose carts

8. Stadium Mud Buggies - 7 CIB

Triple Challenge - 0 CIB, 3 loose carts **This should be in place of Stadium Mud Buggies and actually up around #3 or 4.

So I was pretty close to current listings. The biggest surprise was Stadium Mud Buggies being so available. I thought 8 might be a little low but it turns out it's not even top ten right now. Perhaps people are overvaluing these as they are borderline semi-rare at best. There are usually several loose carts of Fathom available. Finding none right now was a bit of a shock.

Outside my original top 10:

Super Cobra - 3 CIB, 1 empty box

Melody Blaster - 3 CIB (1 is sealed), 1 cart with right overlay, 1 loose cart

World Series Major League Baseball - 1 CIB (sealed), 1 boxed with everything but the NL right overlay

Super Pro Decathlon - 3 CIB, 1 cart with manual, 3 loose carts

River Raid - 1 CIB, 1 loose cart

The Jetson's Ways With Words - 3 CIB ( 1 is sealed), 1 cart with everything but the box, 1 cart with 2 overlays, 1 loose cart

Dig Dug - 2 CIB, 1 cart with manual, 1 loose cart missing the back plate

Diner - 2 CIB, 1 loose cart, 1 loose manual

Truckin' (with map) - 4 CIB (2 are sealed), 5 loose carts

Pole Position - 1 CIB, 1 with manual, 2 loose carts

...this being the best.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1122036629101?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=112203662910&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

That's the kind of lucky find that keeps me searching eBay everyday. About once a year I hit one like that before someone else sees it. By all rights my collection should only total somewhere in the mid 90s instead of 118 of The 125.

That's the kind of lucky find that keeps me searching eBay everyday. About once a year I hit one like that before someone else sees it. By all rights my collection should only total somewhere in the mid 90s instead of 118 of The 125.

The last few only get worse :) I was hovering around 122 for a long time until I shelled out $190 for a decent Stadium Mud Buggies. I can't afford any big purchases for a while, but sometime in 2017 I'm half hoping to come across a complete LF2 for under $175...wishful thinking, I know. TBH, my repro boxes look great for my loose carts, so I'm pretty content.

The last few only get worse :) I was hovering around 122 for a long time until I shelled out $190 for a decent Stadium Mud Buggies. I can't afford any big purchases for a while, but sometime in 2017 I'm half hoping to come across a complete LF2 for under $175...wishful thinking, I know. TBH, my repro boxes look great for my loose carts, so I'm pretty content.

I'm in the same boat. 8 of my 118 are stored in reproduction boxes, 2 of the ones that were made a few years back and 6 of my own creation. I've said for a while now that my quest is one for "The 122" as I don't believe I will ever be able to afford Learning Fun I, II or Spiker.

...this being the best.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1122036629101?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=112203662910&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

That is amazing! It brings out mixed feelings here.....

First I am happy for the lucky person who was diligent enough to be searching EBAY at the right time. I hope it was someone who needed the game!

Second, it gives me perspective on I how I value my collection. I never really put a monetary value on it as I have no plans to sell, it is my collecting pride and joy! :P

But I do take note that If I was ever forced to sell,there will be highs and lows as far as what I would get for it. Also, I know I would be reasonable and help the guys out here first,I have been known to do that and I know what most of you still need!

And lastly, I picked up my Congo Bongo out of desperation, buying a 67 game boxed lot of mostly stuff I didn't need because I saw it in the back of a pile of games.

I had to pick up the box at the post office,opened it in the parking lot and dug down deep until I pulled it out. Sometimes collecting is luck or skill, and maybe just being in the right place at the right time.

Happy collecting everyone, have fun!!!

• Like 2

I suppose I focus a lot on monetary value, but definitely not because I view this purely as an investment. I can't afford to pay going rate for most things and I only started collecting in late 2010, so I had to quickly become my own price guide to know good deals when I saw them; what I lack in finances I compensate for with time and effort. I also have a ton of money tied up in 'inventory', mostly due to buying large lots. At some point, I'll need to unload a hefty chunk of it. I'll try my best to help folks here out, but it would be nice to recoup at least some value to apply to future homebrews. In the long run, it would be nice to break even if I ever sell off, at least monetarily as my countless hours of hard work are lost and gone forever :D I'd probably do it again, though...I love playing games, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the hunt as much or more.

I read the goal for 2017 to get a "top 10 rare game" and I am curious: What is the top 10 of most rare games? I am NOT talking about variations, just games in any version.

What would you think?

My guess is Learning Fun I and II, Spiker, Congo Bongo, Stadium Mud Buggies are fix, but then? I do not very often see games like Body Slam. And what do you think about Tutankham or Super Cobra?

I don't see many Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack being sold in e-Bay or traded around. It must be exceedingly rare.