IGNORED

I want the NES powerpak cart.

Mxyzptlk

So basically the info I was given and posted was correct. Obviously you are going to want more than one saved game. Nobody wants to start fresh everytime they play a game. That is why he stated you needed to rename them so that you know what save file goes to which game.

Of course if you only plan on playing one game at a time and never playing it again then it doesn't matter.

In my 1st post it never said you had to download more than once it said that file needed renamed for every game you wish to save. You do have to rename it if you plan on saving more than 1 game which everyone will. Even though I do not believe anything was mentiioned on format It as well does have to be in a certain format which is ".SAV".

Maybe you have file extensions hidden but some of us have them shown and renaming a file with a different extension will cause that file to not work.

So to re-itterate.

He said the everdrive is better because you don't need to download a save file at all or deal with any renaming of files in any way plus savings is easy, you don't need to shut off in a specific way to save it does it for you automatically.

So basically the info I was given and posted was correct.

No, it wasn't, let me explain it again. Here's what you wrote:

Ok I'll copy and paste what a NA member told me through facebook about the two.

****************************************************************************************

one thing that i HATED about the powerpak is if you were playing games that need to save

on your pc, you would have to download the .SAV file from retrozone

then rename it to roms name soo if you had a EARTHBOUND.ROM the save would have to be named EARTHBOUND.SAV

and you have to do that manualy for each game that saves

It's written at the grammatical capabilities of a fifth grader but let me attempt to reconstruct it.
You need to download a file from online, then rename it, and you need to do all of this for every game you save.
If this is not what you meant to write, that's different. It is however, what you did write. If you meant something else then you should work on your grammar.

I owned the powerpak a few years back and it always seemed a little fidgety to me. I had to open the NES and disable the lockout chip for it to stop blinking...even after replacing the connector with a new one. I never had that happen with my Everdrive (on the same system). I also hate CF....just a personal thing.

As for the Everdrive, it is extremely compatible (very few games do not run on it in my experience), the menus are fast, and it has savestates. I personally prefer it over a powerpak any day :) Again, just my personal opinion and not saying the powerpak is bad...it is also a very good product.

It's written at the grammatical capabilities of a fifth grader but let me attempt to reconstruct it.
You need to download a file from online, then rename it, and you need to do all of this for every game you save.
If this is not what you meant to write, that's different. It is however, what you did write. If you meant something else then you should work on your grammar.

You're arguing about semantics here. He clearly understands the process, but you're turning it to a huge deal. This type of behaviour is why you get banned from threads and other forums.

I owned the powerpak a few years back and it always seemed a little fidgety to me.

Yeah that's been my experience with it. Once you get it all up and running it's great, but it take some effort. You need to get the latest mappers and then the alternative mappers people have put out, the correct save files, and then you'll want the save state mappers that let you save anytime. Once you got all those going it's great, but it's not for the faint of heart. I don't think anyone has made a guide or anything for it yet.

If the Everdrive had been out when I was looking for a multicart I probably would have gotten it instead, but the Powerpak was the only game in town for a long time. I don't think the creator is even updating it anymore

My biggest problem with the Powerpak is that it doesn't auto-sort directories (they say it would take too much processing power). So you need to use some sort of third party program like Drive Sort to make sure your games are in alphabetical order. What a pain in the butt!

Deemar again I am confused.

You re-wrote exactly what was written. Based off what you have said that information is correct.

When I mentioned you can copy the same file, I mean copy it and rename it to whatever you want. I downloaded the 8kbsave.sav file from retrousb.com and then just made 10 copies of it, one for each of:

- Zelda

- Dragon Warrior III

- Dragon Warrior IV

- some others I don't remember

I did name them with the same name as the games so I'd be able to tell them apart but I didn't have to do that. I could have just named them 1.sav, 2.sav, 3.sav.....

YOU RENAMED THE FILE FOR EACH GAME!!!!!!

Damn man what are you arguing here?? Are you arguing the fact that if you are playing Earthbound, it does not have to be renamed earthbound it can be renamed 1.2.3.4. or whatever.

If that is the whole purspose of this argument then holy shit you are right. Forgive me for telling someone they HAD to name a game save the title of the game they are playing when in fact they could name it whatever they felt like.

Good thing you came in so people know they can save Dragon Warrior as Idiot1.sav

Thank god you came in to save the day.

Edited by icemanxp300

Deemar again I am confused.

You re-wrote exactly what was written. Based off what you have said that information is correct.

YOU RENAMED THE FILE FOR EACH GAME!!!!!!

Damn man what are you arguing here?? Are you arguing the fact that if you are playing Earthbound, it does not have to be renamed earthbound it can be renamed 1.2.3.4. or whatever.

If that is the whole purspose of this argument then holy shit you are right. Forgive me for telling someone they HAD to name a game save the title of the game they are playing when in fact they could name it whatever they felt like.

Good thing you came in so people know they can save Dragon Warrior as Idiot1.sav

Thank god you came in to save the day.

This is the last time.

You specified a save file needs to be download and then renamed for every game you save. Meaning that every time you want to save a different game, you need to go back to your computer and download another save file and then rename it. My point is that you don't need to go download a new save file every time, nor do you have to rename it. So no part of that is correct. You can just copy the same file you have and name it whatever you want.

I'm not mad at all, lots of other useful information in here. I'm going to check out the Everdrive and also this Drive Sort someone mentioned. I hate that my games are sorted by date and not title.

Yeah. I use two methods: generic save slot files and per game save files.

Basically, I copy the generic powerpak save file to four different save files and just use those for current games I'm playing. If it's a game I'll be playing forever and a day I break down and copy/rename a unique save game file for it. Tedious.

Don't worry about it icemanxp300. I think you got the info you needed.

This a million times over. I am totally baffled that anyone would assume that someone would ever download the same file mutliple times over. It's so hard for me to not reply but seeing as how common sense seems to be an issue here I will let it go.

• Like 2

I absolutely love the Power Pak with the savestate mappers added. SImply press Select + A to do a savestate in any game at anytime...press select + b to bring up the savestate. You can also hold down start + a + b until screen goes red and return to the main menu...you never have to touch the console. I have never had a problem with mine at all it is everything I want in a multi-cart and more. I own several Everdrives, but I am so happy with the NES power pak that I wouldn't even consider getting the NES Everdrive.