IGNORED

Raciscm?

Thomas Jentzsch

I think every claim he makes is a gigantic "stretch" and he's obviously utilizing confirmation bias with each game. You can find racism or really anything you want to in anything.....provided you simply look hard enough. He's looking very, very hard.

I mean, he's stating that in Basketball the players are purposely racially biased because when you switch the console to black and white mode the players are......wait for it.....black and white. He asks why it couldn't be brown. Uhh, because that's not how black and white mode, or black and white televisions work?

• Like 1

Someone should hack Basketball for that guy so the players are skin-colored. Oh wait, then it looks like they're butt naked...

Edit: and the matching lines and scores would be skin colored too, emphasizing the difference in color even more...

Edited by roland p

I think that page was supposed to be funny not serious.

On a more serious note, was there a 2600 game that had a 'black' player? Early 2600 games were way too primitive to really allow for it, but later ones could. Maybe RS Boxing?

He is trying to be funny.

But then he's just marginalizing real racism claims! He's making a joke of everything with his cisgendered white privilege! Does he not realize just how joke privileged he is, and he's offending those that are "less humor-abled"? How dare he!

[This is what Reddit users actually believe.]

• Like 1

I think that page was supposed to be funny not serious.

On a more serious note, was there a 2600 game that had a 'black' player? Early 2600 games were way too primitive to really allow for it, but later ones could. Maybe RS Boxing?

Didn't Activision Boxing feature a "black" character and a "white" one?

And don't get me started about Othello!

• Like 1

Some additional information for you folks, to confirm one thing: Yes, it is satire. :)

The Atari Poop series is a weekly column that satirizes Atari 2600 games.

Here is the link to the whole series, if you would like to check out some samples.

And here are some specific examples, to further drive home the point.

One of my favorites is when he cites Body Harvest (an ugly Nintendo 64 game) as being the worst-looking Atari 2600 game ever.

Here is one where he displays his specialty, which is concocting outrageously absurd explanations, often of a conspiratorial nature, as to the "true" motives of an Atari 2600 title: Asteroids, which is actually a simulation of being a teenager.

His most recent entry is Pitfall!, and you can read the opening paragraph where he lets readers peek behind the curtain and pretty blatantly explain his prior methods.

I have subbed for him a few times; most recently, I wrote about Radar Lock... and made the silly claim that it was used to train American fighter jet pilots.

In other words: Yeah, they are humor pieces, but we totally understand that satire is not for everyone! So reading through this thread, as his editor, is very amusing. We occasionally catch some flak when Atari fans read one of his articles and fail to realize that it is just for humor, not reality. Some people are REALLY SUPER SERIOUS and actively dislike him for writing these humor pieces.

Whatever the case may be, we at 1MoreCastle just love old video games, and I think we can agree on the greatness of the hobby.

I apologize, though, if we occasionally ruffle some feathers in an unpleasant manner! :-D

But, yes, that's totally why the series is called Atari Poop: It's bullsh*t. :thumbsup:

[ Edited just to add my own personal example. ]

Edited by NintendoLegend

Heyo, glad to see it spelled out for all the nutcases and loonies here. We have a freakin' lot of them.

Stop expressing your sane privilege! You're marginalizing my unique trans-schizophrenic worldview, REPRESSION! OPPRESSION! I am going to go loudly blog about this!

Okay, I'm done.

• Like 1

Heyo, glad to see it spelled out for all the nutcases and loonies here. We have a freakin' lot of them.

Haha, no problem. Like I said, every once in a while one of his articles will get attention like this, and by now we just get a kick out of.

One quick funny story: When we launched the site, he was one of our first writers, and that Asteroids piece was his first contribution. I remember having to do some damage control that day on Twitter, trying to explain to people that he doesn't actually believe that Asteroids is a teenage simulator. Lol. All in good fun.