IGNORED

Why Doom is still the best FPS

This has been around for a couple of years in various versions, but if you like Doom and you haven't played this mod yet, you're seriously missing out. Even if you think Doom is just so-so or even kinda lame, this may change your mind. It's a LOT more than just a gore mod...it adds several elements that truly transform the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTWP3wvAUuQ

• Like 3

Great thanks for the info...didn't even know this existed.

Quick: Do you play through the original game with the enhancements?

(nevermind you do. Its on the main page. lol)

You can play any Doom WAD using Brutal Doom, including Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom. :)

You don't need any mods to make Doom the best FPS in history.

Half Life begs to differ. ;) :-D

I'm all about old school, but plain old vanilla Doom is pretty hard to go back to after playing Brutal Doom. I only do it when I'm feeling nostalgic. When I want to game, I do a Coop Skirmish (there are more enemies), remove the bots (because they're stupid, get in the way, and never kill anything), and see what's the fewest number of times I get destroyed trying to beat "Go 2 It" in Plutonia Experiment. :-D

Not my video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JId0orF-A5o

(These guys need to turn their particle effects off of "sprite.")

This mod definitely makes the game control a bit more like a modern FPS with weapon reloading and The boot (melee) attack.

While this mod is very awesome, and I play it quite frequently, it doesn't take away from the original..

Perhaps for a more hardcore player, or someone new to the game entirely, this would be preferred.

• Like 1

Very well done blood effects (Kill Bill surely inspired that,) the jaw removal, the fire scene, the cut in half Mortal Kombat style, the scratch in screen a-la House of the Dead. The kick in the back was my personal favorite.

Doom is very famous, I'm wondering what so far the hype could got if this MOD would have appeared two years later.

I liked very much the final scene of a lot of soldiers against the monsters, I remembered me the final scene of Resident Evil 1 movie.

The best Doom campaigns play practically like a survival horror game. I love Shores of Hell on Ultra Violence, just praying that some shells are around the corner. Man that game was lightning in a bottle. It was the shit even ten years later.

Brutal Doom looks pretty awesome, I'm definitely gonna check it out but it is really going to have to be something to top the core game.

• Like 3

Brutal Doom looks pretty awesome, I'm definitely gonna check it out but it is really going to have to be something to top the core game.

For a more "survival horror" feel, the Doom II WAD "After The Holocaust" is amazing. It's really only one level (all the other levels are just the regular Doom II levels), but it's an enormous, open map that sticks you in a city full of Doom monsters. It's pretty open to exploration, and ammo/health items are pretty scarce by Doom standards. Here it is running on one of the easier difficulty levels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpO24Y-5Wdw

• Like 2

Been playing this for a week now. Brutal Doom is the best. I love the way the shotgun guys crawl around and you slice them with a chainsaw. I just about fell out of my chair laughing.

If you keep kicking the crawlers, you'll do a head-stomp fatality. :evil:

• Like 2

I know the automatic vertical-aiming of DOOM is not realistic, but it made the game FAST AND 2-D-LIKE, which is why - although it appears pseudo-3D-like - it still appealed to my sense of 2D retrogaming while looking cooler. I think this is why I liked it so much. I thought Quake and everything else that followed was COOL and a nice tech-demo, but never had as much fun as Doom, which I still play, today.

Glad to see this, though!

Edited by wood_jl
  • Like 3

Quake and everything else that followed was COOL and a nice tech-demo, but never had as much fun as Doom, which I still play, today.

I love to blaze through the Quake single player these days, but I honestly didn't care for it that much compared to DOOM, back in the day. There weren't as many swarms of enemies, it didn't feel like you were slicing through dozens of enemies at once in the right situations, and it felt a lot more rigid in certain ways. It wasn't until I began playing multiplayer that I began to appreciate the single player more in Quake. The added level of 3D movement opened up the door to things like rocket jumping, shooting at the feet of enemies with rockets, etc., and single player was a lot more fun when I began utilizing those techniques I learned in multiplayer. Finding the Nightmare mode portal made things interesting as well.

Really, once people latched on to it, Quake's biggest focus WAS the multiplayer. DOOM sort of paved the way for network play, but Quake took it to a whole other level in that regard. Still to this day though, I feel DOOM blows away Quake in the single player department. It's just good, simple fun. It's a perfect example of the "less is more" mindset in action. It wasn't really until the original 2004 Painkiller on the PC that I experienced a simplistic run 'n gun experience nearly as good as DOOM.

Yeah, like intellectually I recognize the vertical aiming in Quake and later FPSes was a good improvement but personally I enjoy those old early 90s shooters so much more. Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Blake Stone, Heretic, Rise of the Triad...they were all amazing games.

I think it was the maze aspect that appealed to me. I liked exploring labyrinth-like levels and having to deal with limited supplies. Death was so huge in Doom because of how bad losing your weapons and ammo could be. Hunting for bonus levels was a blast too.

• Like 2

Yeah, like intellectually I recognize the vertical aiming in Quake and later FPSes was a good improvement but personally I enjoy those old early 90s shooters so much more. Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Blake Stone, Heretic, Rise of the Triad...they were all amazing games.

I think it was the maze aspect that appealed to me. I liked exploring labyrinth-like levels and having to deal with limited supplies. Death was so huge in Doom because of how bad losing your weapons and ammo could be. Hunting for bonus levels was a blast too.

Still to this day, I have trouble with vertical aiming on PC, because Doom & Wolfenstein 3D spoiled me so bad.. Slowly I am learning tho... Im going to look into Rise of the Triad, that name keeps popping up..

• 11 months later...

Ohh my!!

ADDED:

Doom was my first real introduction to PC gaming. Oh I had played PC games prior to Doom. But this, THIS had a wow-factor unlike anything before. And it didn't need massive hardware either. Doom and Raptor, those two, transformed my serious aerodynamics and word-processing 486 machine into something fun.. I've neglected playing Doom for far too long, and tomorrow I plan on rectifying that to the best of my ability.

I was(am) happy to have been around for this when it came out. Today it is just as nostalgic as the VCS and its early games. Same for CV and Intellivision. Really fantastic. It's really something else! A wonder to behold fer'sure!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2