IGNORED

Unusual PGA Golf label

williamc

I found this unusual PGA Golf cart this weekend. Over top of a normal blue Intellivision label, someone has taped a new label. Of course, anybody could make their own label and slap it on a cart, but this one strikes me as very odd.

pga-golf-label.jpg

For one thing, the label seems to have been professionally printed. The title, part number, and PGA logo are all the same piece of paper and are printed at high quality. The logo is 2-tone color (purple and yellow).

It's true that with a decent color laser printer, anybody could produce a label like this nowadays. But there are two things that make me wonder if this was printed for some official PGA or Intellivision purpose. First, the cartridge's part number, #1816, is printed on the label. Second, there is an asterisk printed after the PGA Logo. It's the kind of thing you usually see for copyright reasons (asterisk indicates "*logo used with permission" or something like that). If this label was created by a private owner, why bother to put the asterisk or the part number? It just doesn't seem like stuff you'd bother to include if you were simply making a prettier label for your cart. The original labels don't have PGA logos or part numbers.

I've not been able to play the cart yet. I'm having some work done on my house and a lot of my classic gaming stuff will be put away until it's done. I'll try it then (probably next week). I fully expect it to be a normal PGA Golf cart though.

I found the cart at a used book store in Southern California. (They have used games too.) They had a few other super-common Intellivision games too, nothing worth picking up.

Any ideas what this might be?

It could be a rental version. I have seen many rental-place-made labels and modifications on rental copies of games.

Some rental places even produced their own copies of instructions or box inserts. Sometimes with photocopies other times professionally printed.

Some people like their games minty, I kind of like when the cart tells a story...

One day somebody will create a technology that will make the games talk and tell their own story... perhaps using the Intellivoice? :)

• Like 1