IGNORED

Signature on cartridge?

esplonky

I bought an Adventure cartridge today, because I didn't have one in my collection, and when I got home with it I realized there is a signature on the label, but it is not Warren Robinett's signature.

this is the best picture I could get at the moment.

oO6ybEo.jpg

I agree, it's probably just a previous owner's signature. I've seen cartridges with their owners' names, and even driver's license and social security numbers(!), scratched into the plastic on the back. I guess they wanted to make sure that nobody made off with their copy of 2600 Slot Racers!

(As an aside, it's interesting to speculate about the perception of ownership evidenced by these "personalized" cartridges, and how those perceptions have changed. These people probably thought they'd be keeping these games forever, like a favorite book, whereas games are seen as more ephemeral and disposable today. Perhaps there are still people out there who would write their social security numbers onto their game discs, but I doubt there are very many.)

I wonder if it's a micro celebrity signature. Many youtubers and gaming conventioneers sign games. You can get signed NES games from Pat the NES Punk on ebay right now. Many people wouldn't know the sig, some would.

People write their names on carts, few people autograph them like that.

You'll have to decode the sig and google it. I can't tell what it says from the photos.

Edited by mkiker2089

I agree, it's probably just a previous owner's signature. I've seen cartridges with their owners' names, and even driver's license and social security numbers(!), scratched into the plastic on the back. I guess they wanted to make sure that nobody made off with their copy of 2600 Slot Racers!

(As an aside, it's interesting to speculate about the perception of ownership evidenced by these "personalized" cartridges, and how those perceptions have changed. These people probably thought they'd be keeping these games forever, like a favorite book, whereas games are seen as more ephemeral and disposable today. Perhaps there are still people out there who would write their social security numbers onto their game discs, but I doubt there are very many.)

Why would anyone ever write their social on a disk? Or a book, or any form where it isn't required? That one I don't get at all.

Perhaps there are still people out there who would write their social security numbers onto their game discs, but I doubt there are very many.

I picked up a Sega Master System console and games from a Craigslist deal a few years back where somebody used a soldering iron to gouge their social security number into the plastic in 2 inch tall characters. Worst idea I have ever seen, especially in this age of identity theft.

Someone was bored and signed there name on it. My Wife does it ALL the time if she is put on hold/etc. You should see our yahtzee game box, she signed her name and wrote all kinds of other jibberish on it while waiting for the car insurance people, lol

Better the Yahtzee box than a rare Atari game box.

I've seen various times cartridges with nice labels but with pen writings, usually the owner's name or sometimes a letter, but why for god sake over the label??? it would be easier to put a small label in the plastic.

The three I remember are "Raul", "Propiedad de Carlos" (Carlos' property) and a letter "A"

Recently I've got a Kaboom cartridge where someone passed time painting the title letters with red pen :lol:

This topic was discussed in the past about different names / things written on carts. I had a family with the last name MUTI and they brought me like 25 games or something all with silver marker ink MUTI on the back of the cart. I probably still have a few of their carts in my inventory.

I agree with the LULU JOEY names.

Phil