IGNORED

Car Wars - graphics changed

On 7/8/2013 at 3:49 PM, 'S1500' said:

What might be fun would be to remake TI-99/4A games as they were depicted on the gen 2 instruction manuals. Imagine Car Wars with the futuristic looking cars they pictured.

Here is Car Wars with graphics modified. Look out for futuristic hover cars !

Edit. Upload was not available for whatever reason.

carwarsg.modg.bin

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

HA, cool! When the cars collide, a couple of the bits of car flying around is black, so it tends to not show up. Can that be changed, too? I like the modification approaches I see around here. I have always wanted to "fix" some of my favorite TI games. Like modernizing "Blasto" a little. Mods like these really make the games seem less chintzy.

• Like 2

Very cool, I like the darker look and the cars look very nice indeed.

Thanks. :)

First of all I just wanted to change the background color to get the seventies early eighties arcade de facto look. The graphics for the cars were then just an accident. A closer inspection will reveal that it’s just the red car with the black parts melting into the background. Anyway I thought it looked futuristic and just fine as some kind of hover car, a bit small perhaps but okay. The yellow car obviously looked like itself, so car graphics had to be changed accordingly.

carswars.cars.png

You know, I never liked this game as it looked so dang CHEAP and was so bright on the screen. I bet they would have sold more copies if they had done what you did. GREAT JOB!

I got the impression back then that many of the TI programmers were the 9-5 type. The lack of passion showed in the lack of "Gee-Wiz" programs that sold computer systems. This really sucked, because you could see that the TI could do some great stuff, one only had to look at that labor of love called Parsec to see that.

• Like 1

HA, cool! When the cars collide, a couple of the bits of car flying around is black, so it tends to not show up. Can that be changed, too? I like the modification approaches I see around here. I have always wanted to "fix" some of my favorite TI games. Like modernizing "Blasto" a little. Mods like these really make the games seem less chintzy.

I think the black pieces flying around were supposed to be the tires spinning through the air. That became less evident with the black background. Overall I thought it an okay effect and left it as is.

I tried and change the colors only. Gray looks like engine parts flying out of the smoke and blue was like barrier parts. Both looked fine without changes to the graphics. Initial explosion sprite list starts at >15F1. Black colors (>01) can be changed there. Tire graphics start at >1742.

carwars.tires.png

Edited by sometimes99er

Impressive! Amazing how changing the background color to black can make such a huge difference. I presume the tires of the red car are still black. You could probably do something with that black sprite (pattern, color),

Either way, great stuff!

Yes, red hover car is secretly racing around on tires. I think we might see Computer file a complaint with the modification authorities. :-D

You know, I never liked this game as it looked so dang CHEAP and was so bright on the screen. I bet they would have sold more copies if they had done what you did. GREAT JOB!

I got the impression back then that many of the TI programmers were the 9-5 type. The lack of passion showed in the lack of "Gee-Wiz" programs that sold computer systems. This really sucked, because you could see that the TI could do some great stuff, one only had to look at that labor of love called Parsec to see that.

Yep, AtariSoft, ColecoVision, MSX, many did put the 9918A to good use, and behold, most commercial releases (from those mentioned) use black background for arcade glory (and perhaps also a bit due to limitations). TI Invaders doesn’t count as it is mostly a ripoff.

Having 2 programmers on a project like Parsec (as opposed to Cars Wars), can create a ping pong situation, with things propelling to a higher level, ideas bouncing off, graphics being reworked etc.

Even the packaging has to appeal (and deceive). I guess TI was deliberately going for a original, minimalistic or faithful look/(re)presentation, but it appeared “cheap”. TI changed their mind and repackaged many of the games with candy artist impressions - like most other larger companies had done for years. All in vain.

carwars.package.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, AtariSoft, ColecoVision, MSX, many did put the 9918A to good use

Having 2 programmers on a project like Parsec (as opposed to Cars Wars), can create a ping pong situation, with things propelling to a higher level, ideas bouncing off, graphics being reworked etc.

So true, but what totally blew my mind was when TI introduced the "QI" model that locked out 3rd party cartridges! Sure, there were some carts that totally SUCKED, but when you lock out software like PACMAN, DIG DUG, DEFENDER, MISSILE COMMAND, MOON PATROL, POLE POSITION and others what's the point of buying a machine that will NOT play the most popular games? It was SUICIDE!

Oh yeah! The software companies now have entire TEAMS of gamers designing, playing and living the games before they are released. Can you imagine being a young kid being PAID to play video games?

• Like 1

So true, but what totally blew my mind was when TI introduced the "QI" model that locked out 3rd party cartridges! Sure, there were some carts that totally SUCKED, but when you lock out software like PACMAN, DIG DUG, DEFENDER, MISSILE COMMAND, MOON PATROL, POLE POSITION and others what's the point of buying a machine that will NOT play the most popular games? It was SUICIDE!

When Parsec was on display in the stores, I remember the explosion and speech blew peoples minds. High resolution arcade action to be brought back into your home !? Yippie-yi-yo-ki-yay !

Commodore 64 was only being released at that point.

The QI with V2.2 seems to be rare, but stupid move. I liked the AtariSoft titles a lot, especially Donkey Kong, probably because it had depth - at least graphically.

:)

Oh yeah! The software companies now have entire TEAMS of gamers designing, playing and living the games before they are released. Can you imagine being a young kid being PAID to play video games?

And yet, many smaller teams and individuals still surface … maybe not the best examples, but anyway ...

http://www.codetapper.com/amiga/interviews/chris-sorrell

http://www.ironhidegames.com

:)

The James Pond games look kind of fun.

You know, there were two games I wanted for the TI back in the day that never happened. The first was Omega Race, the second was Pengo (it was just so damn cute). I ended up getting an Atari 5200 just so I could play some of the games with the wife, although I never found Omega Race... except on the Commode 64 which I did not have.

When Parsec was on display in the stores, I remember the explosion and speech blew peoples minds. High resolution arcade action to be brought back into your home !? Yippie-yi-yo-ki-yay !

I hear ya! I may be wrong, but I really believe that Parsec alone sold more TI consoles than any other single influence. I know that game gave me the 'ol "John McClane" moment too! ;-)

• Like 1

• 8 years later...